Portugal on and off road North to Center (ACT Portugal)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Scooterpt, Jun 29, 2020 at 8:48 AM.

1. Scooterpt

Scooterpt GS 800 Adv

Oddometer:
    A couple of weeks ago I did the first 3 days of the 5 day ACT Portugal from Touratech, its basically a set of gpx files that are maintained by the folks at touratech, with a north to south crossing of Portugal at around 50/60% offroad

https://www.adventurecountrytracks.com/portfolio/act-portugal/

So I went with 3 friend, I did the first 3 days from Bragança to Alamal with the group, and then headed home, half of the groupd did the whole 5 days (I'll being doing the other 2 later this year)

First day we made our way up from Lisbon to Bragança to the starting point, I had wanted to do a road starting at Freixo Espada a Cinta for a very long time, and it did not disappoint:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ended up staying at a camping site located just north of Bragança (it was recommended on the ACT website)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ACT Day 1
    First thing the next morning we went to the starting point of the gpx track, and that is the Bragança Castle:
    [​IMG]

While the first day is only 187kms, I would say the first day is probably the most technical, a lot of jagged and loose rocks, some big uphills and bigger downhills, but also a lot of nice places to visit:

[​IMG]

I took my first fall right after climbing up this mountain, the descend was very loose and bigger rocks, and as soon as the bike stopped I was in a bit of trouble, tipped over twice here, the rest of the day while technical was manageable. Also a lot of dust on this first sunny and dry day

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We ended day one in Torre de Monecorvo, were we were lucky yo find a place that had, besides a warn shower, a nice garage for the bikes:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll continue this tomorrow ;)
  2. Dessert Storm

Dessert Storm Dances With Drunks

Oddometer:
    Great report and photos! Thanks for posting :clap
    Scooterpt likes this.
  3. Folly1

Folly1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ditto. Good job. I am looking forward to the continuation. Thanks for making the effort.

I spent about 10 days in Portugal around 1995 and really enjoyed it. Beautiful country and great food.

Ben.
  4. Scooterpt

Scooterpt GS 800 Adv

Oddometer:
    Did someone say great food?

[​IMG]

:D

Day 2 we started in Torre de Moncorvo, and the objective was going to Serra da Estrela (highest peak in continental Portugal)
    So we rode out and as soon as me hit the trail a mate got a flat that was resolved quickly
    [​IMG]

Most of the views from day 2 were of the Douro valley
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is one of the tracks markes as "optional", well worth seeing
    [​IMG]

"Bent" stone:
    [​IMG]

And this day was cut short as it started raining heavily in the afternoon, so we decided to not risk doing the offroad bits as it was mostly mountainside dirt (mud) tracks and some clay as well, we headed straight to Serra da Estrela, via Penhas da Saude

Went from 20 to 4º weather in the ascend
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ended up staying at the Youth Hostel
    [​IMG]

Had a great dinner and slept well!

More to come ;)
    Bonnie & Clyde and BristolDSer like this.
  5. BristolDSer

BristolDSer Brit riding a KTM 1050 Adventure

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your reports, inspiring stuff as its not so far on a ferry for me.

How do you find the suitability of these trails to heavyweight adventure bikes? Would you rather be on a 500-600 single? How much offroad experience do you guys have?

Not sure I'd want to tackle some of that stuff on my 1050 loaded up.... I'd love to do some more adventurous routes on my bike but feel intimidated by the weight, might just take a backpack and hire a dirtbike.
  6. Scooterpt

Scooterpt GS 800 Adv

Oddometer:
    I don't have any experience and this is 100% doable on a big adv bike, we were all on 800s and one on a 1200. To me personally the only problem was descends with loose rock, and by day 3 I was doing those better each time (as long as you don't stop, trust the bike to do its thing it was working out)

I would say a 500 or 600cc you would do this faster, but this is 100% a tourist offroad trail, to be done moderate speed, stop frequently and see the view
  7. BristolDSer

BristolDSer Brit riding a KTM 1050 Adventure

Oddometer:
    Nice, will have a think about it. Got plenty of experience on trail/enduro bikes but not adv bikes.

What puts me off a little is the cast wheels on my 1050, but reckon they'd be up to mild stuff.

Anyone got a gopro in your crew?
    Scooterpt likes this.