Portugal Trip

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Seadoguk, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Seadoguk

Seadoguk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys
    I am heading over to Portugal in 2 weeks time and looking to do the Portuguese ACT Route. Can anyone offer advice on how difficult this is please. I have limited off-road experience, is it suitable for adventure bikes
    Thanks
  2. 2wheelsrider

2wheelsrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry, i'm new to this world of adventure bikes. So, no off road experience :)
    But Portugal is a beautiful place to ride.
    Two roads that are most advised are the N222 and the N2, the latter is called the Portuguese route66 (small as the country).
    A forum you can find something about trips in Portugal is: http://motosedestinos.forumeiros.com/f36-viagens-em-portugal
    Maybe with the translator you can have some ideas
  3. dikki1163

dikki1163 n00b

Oddometer:
  4. bout2ride

bout2ride Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll be there early November, maybe I can find translator by then....looks like awesome riding. :y0!
  5. 2wheelsrider

2wheelsrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Most browsers have automatic translators.
    Congratulations on the trip.
    When traveling in November you should be aware that the probability of rain increases.
    Although I ride 365 days a year, sometimes in heavy rain, for pleasure I like less riding in rain
    Seadoguk likes this.
  6. bout2ride

bout2ride Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    thanks for the head's up
  7. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:

Going by their info it's a "beginners" route.
    Harder alternatives are given but also marked.
    Just check out their pages
    https://www.adventurecountrytracks.com/portfolio/act-portugal/
    Yes, it's for ADVbikes, no rockhoppers needed.
  8. Sefti

Sefti Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My wife and I are visiting Portugal for a “big” birthday celebration for her next year. Beginner level on adventure bikes (ktm 790) and would HUGELY appreciate any feedback from people who have done this route. Thanks!
  9. Ross_

Ross_ Optimistic idiot

Oddometer:
    If you use chrome there is an automatic translate, it's at the top of the page, if you can't find it check settings>translate.
    Enjoy the ride and stay safe!
  10. Scooterpt

Scooterpt GS 800 Adv

Oddometer:
    I recently did the first 3 days of this 5 day trip, as a background I have very limites experience on big bikes (own a GSA 800) and while the whole of the offroad bits are relatively easy, there are some complicated sections with downhill loose rock for example, some sand as well. In the 3 days I experienced all types of terrain, everyhting is doable but with limites experience I wound't recommend doing this alone for example, take a buddy always
  11. Sefti

Sefti Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hi and thanks for the post.

My wife and I are doing this route later this year and I’m extremely interested to hear about your trip! Do you mind if I ask a few questions?

on day 2 and day 3 did you take the easier loop or did you do the loops that are marked as harder?

what’s your off-road riding level? Have you done a fair bit or was this your first off-road trip?

thanks for the post it’s really helpful for my wife and I as we plan
  12. Scooterpt

Scooterpt GS 800 Adv

Oddometer:
    Hello mate, I would consider myself very unskilled at offroad to be honest, this was probably my second time at all offroad on my GS800A, I had done some but very little on a Transalp 600 that I had (the GS800 is much more forgiving offroad... rides itself almost ;))
    When you say your wife, you mean 2 up or does she ride? While this is possible 2 up, I would consider it highly dangerous and even if you are skilled very risky, the first day for example is very loose rocks up and downhill

I am putting a ride report here:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/port...to-center-act-portugal.1453830/#post-40343051

I didn't do any of the "hard" routs, a friend of mine did and he is more skilled than I am and had a rough time (a really hard uphill twist with loose rock)

Ask away any more questions ;)
  13. Sefti

Sefti Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I didn’t mean day 2 and 3 I meant day 1 and 2! Sorry
  14. Sefti

Sefti Adventurer

Oddometer:
    that’s absolutely brilliant. Thanks for you answers and insight. She rides her own bike, I definitely steer clear of 2 up off-road if I can help it:-)

Sounds like a fun trip and I’ll read the ride report with interest. We are heading over there for a couple of weeks in September to ride the route down and back up again. One final question if you don’t mind me picking your brains one final time.

we are planning on wild camping at least 50% of the time. Would you think it’s remote enough for that? Just head off the tracks slightly and set up camp?
  15. Scooterpt

Scooterpt GS 800 Adv

Oddometer:
    Wi
    You can do wild camping 100% of the way, it is that remote at some point in the route on each day, we were planning on doing wild camping as well but got rain on day 2 and ended up not going forward, will most definitely do it for days 4 and 5 in the future. Also be aware that wild camping is illegal in portugal, but again you will be remote enough to do it ex: you can do the whole of day 1, be finished at around 5pm, head out for day 2 and find a camping spot before dark

I would recommend for the way up to come via the coast, the ACT takes you deep interior Portugal, but leaves the coast out completely, I would go up via the cost, even if just roads, it is 100% worth it
  16. Sefti

Sefti Adventurer

Oddometer:
    fantastic! We really appreciate your thoughts and information. Sounds like you had a fantastic few days and we’re looking forward to your ride report. We’ll probably do one ourselves when we’re back to help others planning on doing the ACT route. Thanks again
    Scooterpt likes this.
  17. Scooterpt

Scooterpt GS 800 Adv

Oddometer:
    I think these videos will help you mate, they have English subtitles as well
    Day 1:

Day 2:

Check the rest of his channel, he is putting up videos of ACT almost everyday, he must have done this a couples of days before I did ;)