Possible Icon D30 Armor Modification?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Chickenstrip, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Chickenstrip

Chickenstrip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey all,

I recently bought a pair of Hood jeans that came with Icon D30 knee armor. When the armor is correctly positioned for riding, they're of course well below the knee when walking around.

I find that the curved cup-like form of the armor causes it to rub against my legs when off the bike and I'm considering the possibility of making cuts that would allow the top of the armor to be deflected by my shins, if you follow me.

I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this and if you devised a workaround, aside from trying other armor. I bought some Rev'it Seesmart armor that is not molded cup-like and is very flexible, but it will not provide the same protection as the Icon armor (despite both being Level 1).

Your experience?
  2. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's not Icon D3O, just a generic D3O T5 / T5 Evo probably. Does the pocket not have velcro to adjust the armor up or down? I'm never comfortable with pants that allow the armor to slip below the knee, how is that supposed to magically keep covering the right joints if you come off?
  3. Chickenstrip

Chickenstrip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for chiming in, cblais19 ... They are generic - they have no branding on them - but they look exactly like the Icon armor. If I were a betting man I'd bet they come from the same factory.

I'm not referring the position of the armor - I have no problem with being able to position them where I want. What I'm getting at is the armor is molded as if it were always position over the knee - it's cupped to sort or embrace the knee, which is great when in riding position, but sucks for walking around. I'm considering making cuts in the foam (two diagonal cuts following the grooves already there) that might allow the top of the armor to separate from the sides as my shin pushes it. As they are, they want to maintain their cupped shape. I see that the Knox armor has the 'cuts' that I'm thinking about (see pic).

I fear that if I cut them the cut will keep growing in use, eventually leading to the top portion breaking off. Maybe it's worth a try, though.

icon_d3_o_kneePad_single_cutMarks.jpg knox_kneeArmor.jpg
  4. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    ...the D3O armor in Icon products isn't D3O?

@Chickenstrip - when I had Klim jeans with D3O T5 Evo X pads in them, the position kept them over the knee even when off the bike, so the curved edges never really irritated me. You could try the cuts, and if they don't work - I recommend the Forcefield Isolator 1 pads - I have them in another pair of jeans and they couple excellent protection (nearly L2 qualification impact levels) with extremely thin and flexible shapes.
  5. Chickenstrip

Chickenstrip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting ... I wonder how that works, pads that are in the knee position regardless of being on the bike or not. They, or the pockets they're in, somehow slide up and down vertically?

BTW, I'm not concerned about D30 or not ... just this issue I'm having.