1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Possibly adding a 99 KLR650 to the stable

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by texsurfer, Oct 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. texsurfer

texsurfer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A former neighbor of mine has a 99 KLR650 with 8,300 miles on it. He bought it 15 years ago with
    6,600 miles on it. Obviously not ridden much.

The Good: Two and a half years ago he took it in to the shop and they put a brand new carb on it, air filter, battery, petcock and tank cleaning, tires (OEM Dunlops), and blinkers that had busted off when his teenage sons had goofed off on it a few times.

The Bad: Carb has gummed up again or the petcock is plugged. It started and ran for about 10 secs before dying. Fuel isn't making it to the bowl so either the float valve is clogged or petcock. It's lived in a garage in a saltwater environment so it has some surface rust on the headstock and other little nooks. I think the headstock has rust because it's not easy to get to for washing. Lock for gas cap had to be pulled b/c it was frozen up. Chain is rusty but probably serviceable as it isn't crunchy rusted. Tiny dent in tank. Plastics have typical patina for KLRs :).

The Worst: The rear shock is a pogo stick and the spring is rusted. Can't tell if the shaft is toast.

The Question: I'm a XR650R rider for the past 17 years. I'm almost 50 years old. Having an e-start bike to scoot around on would be nice. Arthritis and hip issues mean kicking a BRP can be painful sometimes. What is a fair price for this bike? I can wrench and fix anything needed all the way to a complete engine rebuild. I've rebuild the shock on my BRP but looking at Kawi parts fiche, they don't sell internals anymore (if ever). I see Tusk and some others sell parts for it. If I was offered the bike for $1,000 would it be worth it to put the time and sweat equity into cleaning it up, rebuilding shock, etc.? If I did that and decided it was not a bike I liked, what is a reasonable price I'd expect to get for it? It has NO FARKLES AT ALL. Clear title, last registered in Dec '17
  2. falcofred

falcofred aka Beer Scout Supporter

Oddometer:
    Extreme N.E. Tennessee = Motorcycle Nirvana
    Does it have a milk crate, or will you be adding one?
    Bultaco206 likes this.
  3. Pinky

Pinky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In my opinion, not worth it for you. Have you driven it? Coming from an XR650R, youd probably be surprised at how boring it is to drive. To answer your question, sure $1000 bucks seems reasonable, but it might be hard to find someone else to take it off your hands for that much if you end up not liking it. Id offer the guy $500 and he'll probably sell it to you because no one else is gonna buy it...
  4. mikejjmay

mikejjmay Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not worth $1000. A running 99 KLR with surface rust issues, dented tank, faded plastics, and no major afternmarket add ons to add value would go for $1000-$1500. Add in the fact that its not running, you don't really know why (could just be gummed up, could be more). Plus new rear shock, new chain needed, should have new coolant and brake fluid due to age, fork oil change, doohickey, blah blah - you're getting up there in cost to just get it to the shape of a good running one, even if that running one may have more miles.
  5. Dave Bell

Dave Bell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thats a very low price. I would look into the tank for rust. There is an aftermarket non vacuum petcock that can take out one risk factor, and parts for carb rebuilt are dirt cheap, as are most other KLR parts. You can find a stock shock on Ebay. I have had 2 Gen 1's and both ran lick tops. Very simple, very reliable. Get a seat concepts seat cover with foam. Tons of info out there on the KLR.
  6. plugeye

plugeye MC rescue

Oddometer:
    drive?
    jfc
    Bultaco206 likes this.
  7. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    I think Pinky's advice is pretty good as far as price and offering $$

As far as the difference in weight/performance, you will have to make that call yourself. But it is significant compared to your XR650R.

Years ago when I had my first dualsport bike (DR350), my brother had a KLR650 for a short time. I rode it a few times and while it was heavy, I did like it. I liked how I could jump on the highway and it felt surprisingly stable.
    Fast forward ten plus years, I've been on a DR650 for a long time (with lighter 2T bikes as my enduros). I swapped bikes with my friend's KLR650 for a short ride. It felt ginormous and not really great...

I think the KLR is a nice bike for what it is, but its much more of an adventure bike rather than dualsport. Unless you really are kinda interested in a dualsport bike that can do some highway miles, there are probably better dualsports with the magic button to spend your time/money on.
  8. texsurfer

Oddometer:
    I rode it 10 years ago when we were neighbors so I know how mild it is. Tank is clean. I'm not looking to replace the XR, just have something that I can throw a leg over, hit the button and cruise to the store, backroads, etc. My XR is street legal but I recently took it back to dirt only because my son is riding now. It's really loud and it's really not comfy for just tooling around like a KLR would be. Dirt or street I tend to wheelie a lot and slide the back end around everywhere I go so I'm trying to find a quieter plusher alternative to that :). No milk crate, remember NO FARKLES! :)
  9. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    I would say do it. some Seafoam in the carb first, the tear into it if that doesn't work. the Doohicky needs to be fixed if it isn't yet. the forks will need to be service... PM me on that. a rear shock... http://calgarydualsport.tripod.com/klr650shock/procedure.html parts on flebay. Top Gun sells springs. or buy a Progressive, better yet a Moab. the suspension can be made much better without a ton of money. the 22 cent mod helps

you know the KLR is now out of production
  10. texsurfer

Oddometer:
    got it for $500

Attached Files:

• KLR.jpg
      KLR.jpg
      File size:
      61 KB
      Views:
    Bigger Al and Pinky like this.
  11. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    good score!
  12. pmillar

pmillar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well done! If I wasn't 5'7" I might be jealous.

(And yes, I've ridden a KLR before and owned a TTR 250 so I know about riding tall bikes. It just gets tiresome after a while in city/suburban driving.)