Post your Airhead pics

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by a_k_nicholls, Sep 4, 2004.

1. BravoFox

BravoFox Twin With a Kick

Oddometer:
    1975 Model Year, so starting in AUG 1974. (For MY74, the 90S had the earlier Dell Orto 38A without choke).

To repeat, each European country at the time had its own definition of Model year (it was July to June in France for instance, and August to July in Germany).

Which explains the recurrent misunderstanding if the US MY (matching calendar year) is followed: a "same" year seems to have a bike coming with different features. The bikes are actually two model years apart for BMW.
  2. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's true. If you hear them coming but can't see them, they sound exactly like a boxer engine.
  3. grumpyoldbstrd

grumpyoldbstrd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Curiouser and curiouser said Alice.

Spoke to another old mate today, who’s prepared to bet his left nut that all 90S models had choke cables. He reckons that the only tickler carbs on the 90S came from people replacing worn out originals with the units from a Guzzi. Apparently these units were cheaper.

PS. He’s now biologically redundant, and can afford to lose his left nut.
    eight90eight and Planetducky like this.
  4. getonyourbikeandride

getonyourbikeandride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just because they happen to be a twin with equally spaced firing intervals does not make it 'like a boxer'. The engine vibration, torque reaction when you blip the throttle and the crankshaft orientation all cause different effects on the chassis behavior (not to mention chain versus shaft drive).

So yes, blaspheme!
    Disston, SmittyBlackstone and CNRED like this.
  5. dirtdreamer50

dirtdreamer50 long time rider

Oddometer:
    Guess take it up with BMW then. Was just repeating what I read on their site. Thought it interesting, that's all. dd50
  6. BravoFox

Oddometer:
    I'm not really interested in the debate (I'm a Series 7 kinda guy anyway :johntm), but I have only one word for your friend: SOURCE.
    We live in a time where opinions become reference frames, but I'm from a school of thought which promoted the curious, sceptical, and inquisitive mind. :beer
    ME 109 and radmeister like this.
  7. ricard

ricard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mulholland Highway

DA805131-FFA3-45C4-934D-C7588C191847.jpeg
  8. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    There is nothing special needed to make a parallel twin fire at 360...that's just the normal way they run.
  9. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, not to be argumentative, but Triumph parallel twins run in either 360 and 270 degree firing patterns, and 270 is actually becoming the more common design.

You can also find parallel twins that run with a 180 deg firing order.
  10. RideDualSport.com

RideDualSport.com Zut alors!

Oddometer:
  11. sprouty115

Oddometer:
    ^ Could have been straight out of a BMW ad...
    Uke, SmittyBlackstone and fxray like this.
  12. BravoFox

Oddometer:
    A rare blue R100RS MotorSport

R100RS Blue Motorsport 13.jpg
    BIG^DALY, Planetducky, Uke and 11 others like this.
  13. getonyourbikeandride

Oddometer:
    Well the straps around the factory bags could lead to embarrassing questions @ the dealerships...
  14. Jimkav

Jimkav Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    623C62F6-D117-4CB6-BD27-F338386D73B2.jpeg PCH Sunday afternoon
  15. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    They are ''special'' firing patterns, but normal for a vertical twin , and a 180 flat twin...is 360 degrees. You could ''make'' a BMW fire 270...but why ?
  16. sprouty115

Oddometer:
    Perhaps you don't want to keep going with this, if so, my apologies, but if you do, then this is a very concise explanation of the parallel twin firing order pros and cons...

Simon Warburton, Product Manager for Triumph Motorcycles Ltd. at the home office in Hinckley, has forgotten more about the pros and cons of various parallel-twin crankshaft configurations than most mortals will understand in a lifetime, so listen up. "If the engine speed is high," he says, "a balance shaft will be required to cancel out rocking couple. A 180-degree crank offers the most uneven firing interval: 180 and 540 degrees. It also gives the lowest pumping losses, as displacement in the crankcase remains roughly constant throughout the cycle. The 360-degree crank gives even firing, but as both pistons move together offers the same mechanical balance as a single (i.e. not very good). Again, balance shafts are required. The 360-degree firing interval has the advantage that only one ignition system is required, with a wasted spark.

"The 270-degree crank has a firing interval of 270 and 450 degrees, the same as a 90-degree V-twin. Therefore, this sounds and feels like a 90-degree V-twin. It's a compromise between the 180 and 360 configurations: better primary balance than the 360 and a lower rocking couple than the 180, but it still requires balance shafts at high engine speeds. _ "Another benefit is that as one piston is stationary, the other is moving. This gives a dynamic benefit whereby the crank speed fluctuates less during a cycle. Yamaha uses this effect on the crossplane R1 crank. On both the 360 and 180 cranks, both pistons are stationary at the same time."_

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/how-to/parallel-twins-and-sportbike-testing/
  17. Jimkav

Jimkav Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  18. sprouty115

Oddometer:
    ^ That's really pretty...
    Jimkav and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  19. SmittyBlackstone

SmittyBlackstone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally got a /2.

It is a whole different world of motorcycling. 5620533.jpg
  20. getonyourbikeandride

Oddometer:
    Classy, slow and steady!
    Uke, SmittyBlackstone and lucky6600 like this.