Post your Awesome and difficult terrains on Video

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by swiss-happy, Jul 4, 2018.

1. swiss-happy

swiss-happy Happy Joe

Oddometer:
    Dear all adv riders,
    I must admit I am not a hardcore adventure rider and I am not a guy who will trash a $30'000 bike just to prove something.

However what I see and hear from the forums and Facebook groups are some ridiculously insane comments.
    Some are simply riding through a almost flat forest patch with a small puddle of water and they call themselves epic.

When I rode up an incline of xyz degrees or %, someone actually told me the physics of that not ever happening.

I mean, I really don't know whether to laugh or to cry when I read such different "standards" of calling out people when they are novice riders or when they say they are advanced offroad riders.

To put things in perspective, can you kindly post some insane terrains on which YOU have personally recorded or ridden on?

Thanks.
    Joe

PS: I didn't and don't think I will ever take videos of myself on insane terrains cos I will be fully focused on not dropping the bike or dropping off the Clift or mountain sides.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk
  2. PistonPants

PistonPants Crankcase Scavenger

Oddometer:
    Ok I’ll play. The greatest trail ride on earth. Near Denali, Alaska. I don’t judge others’ definition of gnarly. Don’t pressure anyone to ride beyond their skills.

Peace
    Piston
  3. Bullet Burner

Bullet Burner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think you won PistonPants. That will be hard to top!
  4. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    Yowsa! Perhaps the Gopro lens makes it look more narrow than it really is, but still YOWSA! Like this video (not me):

just one slip and OH SH..........................................IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Cptab and mebgardner like this.
  5. Big Tall Bastard

Big Tall Bastard Voice of Reason

Oddometer:
    That is Frank Zappa isn't it? That has to be the most unlikely music and video combination ever. Very cool!
  6. scottrnelson

scottrnelson Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer:
    Did you mean tricky stuff on a big adventure bike, or tricky stuff on a more serious dirt bike? I don't see the point of posting difficult terrain taken on a light weight bike designed for it.

This is at the top of Sierra Buttes above Downieville, as far as you can legally ride. It's a steep rocky hill climb for the last few miles. I could have ridden the last half mile past the gate, but was trying to follow the rules up there. The guy I was riding with who had an R1200GS decided that he wasn't up to the challenge. Okay, not the toughest trail, but not some easy flat stuff either.
    [​IMG]
    swiss-happy likes this.
  7. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think at this point I was questioning my wisdom and hoping to keep the bow wave up.

[​IMG]

But really, to your point OP, hard core riding differs for each of us. Both in how we define it, and whether we want to do it or not.

From a physics perspective, the Trials riders always amaze me. Gravity doesn't seem to apply correctly in their universe.
  8. AdamChandler

AdamChandler n00b

Oddometer:
    Cut to about 5 minutes in:

I've done more serious terrain, more technical, etc but it's buried in 4 hour long videos no one will ever watch but this is the first time I actually sat down and did some editing on a day of riding. I'm on a GS Adventure with Mosko bags on the side and about 50% worn down TKC 80s.
  9. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you fairly new to riding? If so here's some insight.

There are folks that enjoy the challenge of riding outside their comfort zone and take pride in having conqured something that took them to the edge of their ability. It matters little to them if someone else could do it better. The cost of getting there is occasional damage to machine, flesh, and pride.

Then their are those who have no desire to push their limits and just want to ride a big tall comfortable bike.

I see nothing wrong with either type of rider. They are being true to themselves.

The skillsets of these riders varies all over the map from the motorcycle noob with a dream to veteran offroad racers with amazing skillsets who have come to appreciate the comfort of a big bike.

And lastly you have the posers, the bench racers, and the disappovers. They just talk a lot of shit... lol.

Want amazing videos? Go hit youtube. It's chock full of amazing riders doing amazing things on big bikes.

Personally I don't do much video and my skills would impress precious few... I've got plenty of fail photos after I bit off more than I could chew though and pics of personal triumphs. I take pride in both and they're good for the occasional chuckle or fond memory. Thats all that matters to me.
    swiss-happy likes this.
  10. PistonPants

PistonPants Crankcase Scavenger

Oddometer:
    Joe goes back to his ugly little room and quietly dreams his last imaginary guitar solo.
  11. swiss-happy

swiss-happy Happy Joe

Oddometer:
    oh man..i miss my little KDX200
  12. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    In praise of smaller bikes! :lol3
  13. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    I got the impression that the original poster was looking for difficult terrain on adventure bikes. Looks like there are about three posts with big bikes so far. I don't see the point of yet another video of a bike under 300 pounds with 12 inches of suspension doing tricky stuff.

Let's see what the bikes that weight over 400 pounds can do!
    Hipower90 and swiss-happy like this.
  14. redneckK20

redneckK20 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nothing too crazy but most of my youtube channel is me riding my 1190r in some pretty dumb stuff.

15. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    Thanks for those. You get bonus points for dumping your KTM in the mud, then continuing on.
  16. redneckK20

redneckK20 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

17. swiss-happy

swiss-happy Happy Joe

Oddometer:
    You are spot on, Scott. I ride a R1200 GS Adv.
    However I didn't want to offend others who took the trouble to post videos about my "requirements".
    It's all in good fun and any insane terrains will do.

I have not seen any insane terrains for big bikes though.
  18. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where's Chris Birch when you need him? :)

I have nothing extreme on big bikes because I'm not talented enough for the extreme stuff (nor small bikes for that matter) but here's a sampling of the typical stuff we do on the big bikes for fun.

Clips from on-board and drone footage I took when I was playing with the idea of doing video. Bike = KTM 1190R

A fellow rider chasing his comfort zone. Bike = KTM 990

Clip another rider took of me on a small stream crossing. Bike = Triumph 800XC.

And because I have thousands of photos...

A break in the middle of a long hill climb out in Co.
    [​IMG]

Built a ramp out of stone to get my 990 SMT over a fallen tree while out on a ride. It's under 5" of suspension so it should count, right? :)
    [​IMG]

And a very typical fail moment... I have plenty of these too! LOL
    [​IMG]

Extreme is a matter of perspective. One mans extreme is another mans snooze fest. It's the challenge that matters.