Post your unicycle pics

Discussion in 'Trials' started by stin987, May 5, 2011.

1. MT 007

MT 007 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well it has been almost a month and last night I finally managed to ride about 30 feet... I can only compare it to like being a little kid realizing you are actually riding a bike on your own :-). My wife was talking on the phone when all of a sudden she saw me riding by... " OMG - my husband just rode by on a unicycle !!! " LOL !!!

So in the last 6 months I have lost 20lbs (thanks fitbit) straightened my teeth (thanks smile direct) and learned to ride a unicycle - Not bad for a 56 year old... who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Like all trials riders I really enjoy a good challenge !

BTW - I traded the body armour in for padded cycling pants … made a big difference :-)
    Johno33772, jonnyc21 and Huzband like this.
  2. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Good for you! I was also in in my mid 50's when I thought it was due time to learn how to ride on one wheel and no handlebars.
    Norman Foley and MT 007 like this.
  3. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    I want to learn how to ride on one wheel with handlebars hopping from rock to rock!

Though I wouldn’t turn down a chance to learn how to ride a unicycle ether.
  4. MT 007

MT 007 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is funny how you can practice something for 30 to 60 minutes a night for a month (maybe miss a day or 2 here and there) and then all of sudden you "get it" and it works (at least a little). It is easy to look at hoping on the back wheel of a trials bike and figure you just can't do it... then try it and realize... your right you can't do it. If you spend enough dedicated time and energy you can most likely do it (as we all know it is possible) but is it worth the time and effort ??? for me it is - as long as you are having fun trying and able to keep the dream alive.

I should note I can't even do a really long wheelie yet after a lifetime of trying so hopping on the back wheel is still a ways off - but who knows one day I might just "get it"
  5. heffergm

heffergm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There's a limit to the "with enough hours of practice I can do anything" theory. Where that limit lies is different with everybody obviously.
    jonnyc21 and Huzband like this.
  6. MT 007

MT 007 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is too bad that so many people - especially young people seem to give up before even really trying. I guess I am lucky that I have failed at so many things in my life I have little fear of trying something new and am willing to just keep trying until I succeed (or not). One good tip from a learn to unicycle video was to try to fail in different ways as much as you can... so if you keep falling off backwards try falling off forwards, don't just keep making the same mistakes over and over again.
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  7. Runaway Train

Runaway Train The Left-Right Tourer

Oddometer:
    I thought a trials bike wasn’t supposed to have a seat.....wussies!
  8. MT 007

MT 007 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Norman Foley and goinsriding like this.
  9. UstaKood

UstaKood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. FASTRacing

FASTRacing Pant Antler

Oddometer:
    Reminds me of Letterman's stupid human tricks
  11. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    We have a winner.
  12. UstaKood

UstaKood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Johno33772, MT 007 and Gordo83 like this.
  13. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Ok, maybe we have a new winner. :D

There's bunch of vids of Smage on a unicycle and he's no slouch either.
    UstaKood likes this.
  14. MT 007

MT 007 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well after getting the go ahead from the eye doctor that I can return to doing things I enjoy in life... I was able to get the unicycle out tonight and after being off it for 9 weeks I am just as bad as I was when I stopped... going to have a rum to celebrate !!! - Getting the trials bike out tomorrow night :-)
    LemmeTry, Buschog and Huzband like this.
  15. hippie

hippie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sit on the seat.Put your weight on the seat. It will help you balance better. Pedal smoothly. It will realy help you.
    2whlrcr likes this.
  16. MT 007

MT 007 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are right about that, I found the biggest help was getting cycling shorts so putting all my weight on the seat was more comfortable. Another thing is remembering to breathe I found I could consistently only go 20 to 30 feet but then read you need to remember to breath otherwise when you run out of breath you will usually fall off - just too many things to focus on at one time :-)
  17. Gimmeslack

Gimmeslack furthur

Oddometer:
    THere's a good book about a guy who crossed the US on a uni. My son at one point wanted to do the same, but the idea faded (kind of glad about that!).
    P1170131 copy.jpg
    MT 007 and NxtGoRnd like this.
  18. hippie

hippie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    One Wheel, many spokes. I think that is the name of it.
  19. MT 007

MT 007 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well one thing is for sure the weight I lost year found me while I was off for a few months with a bad eye... but I don't seem to be any worse at riding the Unicycle... hopefully a bit more dedicated time and I will start improving.
  20. LemmeTry

LemmeTry Over-thinker...

Oddometer:
    I just learned how to unicycle 2 weekends ago. It feels a little bit like being a toddler and learning to walk in the sense that there are lots of failures. But, 2 weeks ago my first time ever on a unicycle I went from never having ridden to being able to ride 200 meters without falling in 1.5 hours. However, I'm still not proficient - if you look at me wrong, I'll probably mess up and fall off! :lol3