Post Your Wisconsin Dual Sport Tracks Here

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States' started by Cannonshot, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    OK folks, it is time to put some stuff together for Wisconsin DS tracks. We need to start collecting our Wisconsin DS tracks so we can build a product to share among area riders.

What I am looking for are tracks that are suited for an entertaining ride on more dirt worthy DS bikes.

Put your tracks in this thread (or send them to me if you need help editing them) and we'll start building a product.

Here is something that the Great Lakes Dual Sporters built for Michigan.
    [​IMG]

More details are here:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=364415

Here is a thread with some tracks for the UP that serves as an example of how we might start out posting information for Wisconsin:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234516

Even if you only have partial tracks from some favorite area, please submit them as we might be able to tie them together in a longer route.

Again, if you need help with raw tracks or building maps, etc, PM me and I will help you out. If you only have paper maps, I can convert them to GPS tracks so don't hesitate to contact me.

Personally, this will serve as an incentive for me to explore more in Wisconsin like I have been doing in the UP.
  2. willoutlaw

willoutlaw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, here's a loop I've put together just north of Grantsburg, WI, using Google Earth and MapSource.

I haven't ridden it yet to generate a track, although I've flown over most of it and scouted it a bit.

Hopefully I'll be able to get up there in the next week or so and check it out in person.

Attached Files:

3. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in Supporter

Oddometer:
    email sent. but more bigger DS worthy stuff (GS able).

it's a start.
  4. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    you need any of my stuff Bryan? Its not technical DS stuff, but it is good riding, mostly gravel and dirt roads.
  5. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Less intersted in the gravel as we have a lot of that in some of the other WI GPS threads.

I think you have some tracks from Jackson County that involve some more obscure forest roads in combination with the gravel/pavement that would fit the bill. If not, I can draw some from memory I think.

It is good to include some sections of ATV trail where it is permitted, but we need to make a note about local permits or trail passes if they are required.
  6. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thank you. I have the tracks, just haven't been working on them yet. :thumb
  7. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    Here's 2 tracks that start in Grantsburg, then head North through Crex Meadows, the area that willoutlaw built his route around. This really is a pretty spot, one of the few areas where the Wisconsin woods opens up to allow you to see for several miles, And the twisty gravel roads are a hoot! Then, it takes snowmobile trail further North to cross the St. Croix into MN, where a combo of forest roads, the Gandy Dancer trail, and OHV trails lead to the OHM trail system in the Nemadji State Forest. Continuing North on the Gandy will take you back into WI near Foxboro, but I've only been that way on my sled in the winter. I don't know how suitable the area is for DS bikes.

Attached Files:

8. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ron, it looks like there are some nice segments in there!
  9. JoshDR

JoshDR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome idea, i'm a noob and have no idea where to ride besides Bong and Dyracuse.

Anything suggestions for areas around Adam's?
  10. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in Supporter

Oddometer:
    another email sent Bryan. I'll leave the editing to your skills. :lol3

fun stuff, I just hope this is still open come new rules in spring.

[​IMG]
  11. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Great stuff Jeff! Thanks for another great contribution. I'll go to work on those raw tracks once the Motor Vehicle Use Map comes out in January. I hope we don't lose the best sections.
  12. mnielsen5

mnielsen5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I usually ride remote trails in the Mountain/Lakewood area that is mostly national forest trails, would you be interested in some tracks from over there? They dont go a very long distance, but you could ride the various trails for weeks and not get to all of them. I'm kind of a noob to the whole tracks feature so they might need some editing:D
  13. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    We'd be happy to have you contribute some tracks from that area! PM me with an e-mail address. I'll be happy to edit them for you as well.
  14. mnielsen5

Oddometer:
    Ok, unfortunately after looking back at the GPS logs I erased most of the trails from the last two years, so after the snow melts i'll get to work on logging some new routes. If anyone is looking to do some riding up in the Oconto county area send me a PM, i'm always looking for some other dual sporters to ride with!
  15. mnielsen5

Oddometer:
    Well if anyone reads this within the next day or two, I'll be riding up in the mountain area this thursday and friday, then I'll be back for the weekend of the 1st, so if anyone wants to join they are encouraged to contact me! I did a little bit of riding last week, but I am very confused about if I can ride on the snowmobile trails or not? If anyone has any insight into this please post up or send me a PM.
  16. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Snowmobile trails are often not available to motorcycle riding.

Here are some things to look for or consider:

If they are on public forest roads they are probably OK outside of snowmobile season.

If they are on private land, they are probably not OK.

Snowmobile trails often traverse sensitive areas (wetlands). In winter, when the ground is frozen, this is not an issue. In motorcycle weather, this is a big issue and is likely not allowed.

Take a look at the matrix in this thread for other ideas of where to ride trails in Wisconsin.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=413784
  17. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
  18. Get_Bent

Get_Bent Long timer

Oddometer: