Pozo! All welcome DSRider SLO Pozo upcoming rides

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by dsrider, Jan 31, 2009.

1. dsrider

dsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Second Annual Dsrider ride weekend Fresno To SLO & Pozo Feb. 21-22nd People may be coming from all over the state. Please post if want to ride drive together. (some may show up to SLO Friday the 20th and come back on Monday the 23rd due to having too much fun and not wanting to go back to the work world. Layne Scott Rob) We had a blast last year some people rode it two up. Please post if needing place to stay most if not all of the "out of towner's" Fresno and beyond will be staying overnight.
    Questions
    1) Where will we stay? All ideas welcome prefer to stick together. Any local advriders who want to lend floor space or beach house & MC truck parking would be greatly appreciated. SLO, Moss Beach, Oceano and surrounding areas. And always any free advice on Good reasonable places to stay is welcome.
    2) How many people? Please post and if you have extra room for hauling bikes or people and split fuel save a little$ and of course if your going.
    3)Food Well at Pozo they have great burgers not much else out there pack water and snacks unless we have a chase/support truck. Any volunteers. If we camp we could go in together.
    4) Bikes It all depends on skill/crazy level and equipment. See pics
    More questions. Surprisingly It all comes together, it miraculously always has and we have had great times! this is a great bunch of people. of course a little planning gos a long way as does some tools and spare parts and a little extra fuel. Post or pm or email any questions www.dsrider.com or dsriders@gmail.com
    5) last years thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309019
    Look forward to meeting and riding with everyone. We have a local experienced rider to show us around Pozo and other local coast riding areas and eatery's
    Also anyone good with web, camera, video experience please pm so we can put up on dsrider after ride
    [​IMG]
  2. SLO-KLR

SLO-KLR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in for riding on Sunday. I'm in my buddy's wedding Saturday so it's a no ride day for me.
  3. optopilot

optopilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Please see other thread regarding planning meeting at stevele5's home on 2/1.
  4. lsellers

lsellers a DSRIDER

Oddometer:
    I'm a go.
  5. dsrider

dsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It looks like several of us can't make it Sunday 2/1 due to superbowl/prior commitments so how about we set something up for sometime next week when more of us can attend? We can meet at meeting place see below any day next week . . . <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  6. optopilot

Oddometer:
    We had a great time at Stevele5's but I was late with the salsa. Don't ask! Base camp will be my 5th wheel at Beautiful Pismo Beach. My accomodations are pretty much filled; but Pismo Coast Village is across the street and so is Pismo State Beach North Beach Campground. All within walking distance. BBQ at my place. Riding will be the traditional Hi Mountain Road and a fun ride on the beach with a view or ride in the dunes. Several people are riding from Fresno Friday PM. I am trucking my bike +1. Powerman is coming through Fresno and can pickup any who need to ride. MORE INFO TO COME. Thanks Steve. LET'S HAVE SOME FUN!:clap
  7. mudpig

mudpig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I want to go, my bad back willing. Will know more about that after my app't. with neurosurgeon today. I had to give the van/trailer back to the co-owner today so don't think I'll have it back by that weekend. I would like to hitch a ride over on Friday or Saturday. I'll unload my bike and ride after that. I will stay with my brother in Arroyo Grande but his wife will take only me. I can ride to and from Pismo/Pozo from my brother's. Will keep in touch.

What bike would be better for Pozo, XR400 or DR650? If I have to ride to/ from Arroyo Grande from here, will have to take the big pig DR...
  8. JPaccassi

JPaccassi ...searching

Oddometer:
    <HR style="COLOR: #575757" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message --><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    I am planning on riding up Friday afternoon Feb. 20<SUP>th</SUP> with anyone else that is heading up at that time, but I will probably end up getting a hotel room for Friday & Saturday night instead of camping/5<SUP>th</SUP> wheeling it. I have my son that weekend so I figured I would have my mom bring him to San Luis on Friday night or Saturday so I can see him when I’m not out on the trails, also makes the baby sitting part a little easier for my mom, new things to see & do for my boy. Just thought I would throw my plans out there so that I would not be counted in on one of the group spaces. DAMN! I can’t wait……it’s going to be a blast!
    <o:p></o:p>
    Also, will find out later whether or not my mom & son will be coming up Friday night. If they don’t I’ll have hotel space for a rider or two Friday night…….
    <o:p></o:p>
    JP
    <!-- / message -->
  9. optopilot

Oddometer:
    There will probably be several DR650 riders there. The have done very well before. The XR would really rip in some spots but much of this ride is on city and county roads/highways. Is the XR plated? If so, either would be fine. Some are doing this 2-up. Last year some of the crazies (you know who you are) did some fantastic 2-up trail riding. Be there or be square! Steve.
  10. montibank

montibank Happy

Oddometer:
    Headcount:

Thumbs Up:
    • Powerman
    • Montibank
    • Stevele5
    • Optopilot
    • Chip
    • Special K
    • DSRider
    • DSRider's brother (DSBrother?)
    • JPicassi
    • LSellers
    • SLO-KLR (Sunday Only)
    • MudPig
    Pending:
    • RamJet
    • Tarmacter
    • ShazamDRZ
    • TR1200
    • RedWave
    • Rifle50
    • MattB2Bz
    Cold Feet:
    • H8Chains

Travel/Camping Accomodations:

Please correct me if I am wrong on anything below and I will revise.
    • Travel to Basecamp:
      • Ironman:
        So far there is a group riding from Fresno to Pismo. The exact route is as always unknown, but for reference purposes it might look something like this.
        • Departure I think is going to the be the 20th but I do not know when. Ask Stevele5/DSrider, they are in on the finer details, maybe they will chime in here and I will update this later.
      • 4x4 First Class:
        Powerman and myself are not riding from Fresno -> Pismo. I will be trailering one way or another, I hope I can split ride with Powerman. If you want to split gas and trailer please private message me if you want in. I will plan to leave room for return in case someone that rides the route breaks down I can haul them back on Sunday, or keep em moving forward for that matter.
      • Or make yer own way over, of course.
    • Accomodations:
      • Optopilot's Plan - Option 1 (Closed?)
        Here - Fifth Wheel Camping / Tenting in campsites
        • If you have not already made arrangements with Optopilot for a spot at his place sounds like he is all "fulled" up. Private message him to beg. :evil
      • Montibank's "Cheap Bastard" Plan - Option 2 (Open)
        Ocenao Dunes SVRA - Here
        • No showers here no running water, tent camping (Bring yer own im not sharing my single man tent!)
        • It's $10 a night, only for the vehicle pulling the trailer. If we get eight bikes on the truck/trailer and 6 people in side we only pay $10 per night for one vehicle and all get ride on passes. ALL vehicles that want "Free" acces to the SVRA must be loaded on the truck/trailer when we check in at the gate the day of arrival. I have tried to reason in the past with the park rangers that I could load my vehicle very easily on my truck before, the guy just stared and said if "You want a ride on pass, you will" load it. So I loaded it, and gave him a flat stare while I unloaded it just on the other side of the gate to ride it on.
        • There are toilets (glorified pits in the ground not unlike a porta-potty) with no running water. And there is the ocean (c'mon folks where do you think the otters go?) I only plan on sleeping out there, if you are dying for a bon-fire this is the spot to arrange it. I could play taxi service to and from the beach if I take my truck. I will not be drinking during the trip so don't feel weird to ask for rides if you wish to.
        • I do not plan on bringing wood, but I could make arrangements to pick up a free truckload from a family member in the area if yall wish. Lemme know ahead of time and I will make arrangements.
        • Obviously I plan to eat crap (TacoHell, Fin's, McDonalds) the entire trip. And pack something equally nourishing for lunch in the trails. This is not the healthy option!:lol3
        • I plan to ride my 530 and park my truck for the ride days, unless I end up bringing the truck as a support/fuel truck. I would rather not, but I have a feeling I will. Just means less saddle time for me.
      • Make your own accomodations or suggest a room split if you like.
        If you are not familiar with the area and would like to chat PM me. If no one else wants to rough it I would be willing to split a room if I can stay under $30 for accomodations for the whole weekend.
    • February 21st "Ride Day 1" - (Time TBA)
      • If I know the guys right, they are going to want to be up and running fairly early, if I had to guess I would say on the road no later than 0900 from base camp. Stevele5/DSRider please chime in here what time should we be where?
      • We could meet at Optopilot's or some nearby "Easy to Find" land mark, so we don't get him thrown out of the RV park for disturbing the peace. We could all just meet at Fin's (a decent greasy spoon) parking lot on Grand Avenue in grover right down the street (2 min drive/ride) from Optopilots place, where it dead ends into the ocean. It is kinda hard to miss the place, find Grand Ave and head for the ocean.
        • After the initial meet up I think we are meeting DSRider's brother somewhere near the trailhead as he knows the area fairly well. DSBrother is our guide to Pozo bliss I believe, the local pro and posses the internal compass.
    • February 22nd "Ride Day 2" - (Time TBA)
      • I have absolutely no idea what the plan is for the second day. Perhaps it is best left this way. Hell, I may even toss the paddle tire and tire spoons in the truck in case I wanna break stuff out in the dunes. Suggestions welcome.
    ~

Michael
  11. dsrider

dsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    monti your up late, I don' want to think to much this early in morn will read with brain ingaged later
  12. montibank

montibank Happy

Oddometer:
    Insomnia sucks... Gotta be at werk in 7 hours and I am not sleepy at all.

Waaaaaaaay to jazzed about this ride way to early.

I woke up at 0450 the other day dreaming of riding. This is going to be a long two weeks. I hope my wife doesn't throttle me.

~

Michael
  13. optopilot

Oddometer:
    I need this trip! Regarding cheap accomodations with some amenities. If you can still get into Pismo State Beach North Beach Campground; you are protected somewhat be the wind by the dunes. You have running water, toilets and showers although probably cold. The cost would be minimal if several of you get together. AND CHIP CAN HAVE HIS BONFIRE! Seriously, you would be close to my place and we have wonderful LARGE HOT SHOWERS in our clubhouse. AND BBQS! There is the 7-11 1 block away. I'm directly across the street from the 7-11 on the creek. Rob and I will talk today to make some more plans. Yes, I'm fully occupied at my place. More info to come. Steve.
  14. montibank

montibank Happy

Oddometer:
    I may take you up on that shower offer, usually I just hop in the ocean. Yesterday was BEAUTIFUL at the coast. If the weather holds, jumping in the ocean will be fine. If the weather goes south then a hot shower would be MUCH appreciated.

~

Michael
  15. dsrider

dsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    4 to 5 pm aprox Small get together meeting here today Montibanks & TR1200 ShazamDRZ400 & Dsrider and who ever else. More meeting to come
  16. montibank

montibank Happy

Oddometer:
    Updated Headcount:

Thumbs Up:
    • Powerman
    • Powerman's Buddy (Dunno name)
    • Montibank
    • Stevele5
    • Optopilot
    • Chip
    • Special K
    • DSRider
    • DSRider's brother (DSBrother?)
    • JPicassi
    • LSellers
    • SLO-KLR (Sunday Only)
    Pending:
    • RamJet
    • Tarmacter
    • ShazamDRZ
    • TR1200 (Confirmed/Definate Maybe):D
    • RedWave
    • MattB2Bz
    • MudPig
    Cold Feet:
    • H8Chains
    • Rifle50
    • CaliKatoom

Travel/Camping Accomodations:

Please correct me if I am wrong on anything below and I will revise.
    • Travel to Basecamp:
      • Ironman:
        So far there is a group riding from Fresno to Pismo. The exact route is as always unknown, but for reference purposes it might look something like this.
        • Departure I think is going to the be the 20th but I do not know when. Ask Stevele5/DSrider, they are in on the finer details, maybe they will chime in here and I will update this later.
        • New Route Proposed (BETA ran out of time will continue later today)
      • 4x4 First Class:
        Powerman and myself are not riding from Fresno -> Pismo. I will be trailering one way or another, I hope I can split ride with Powerman. If you want to split gas and trailer please private message me if you want in. I will plan to leave room for return in case someone that rides the route breaks down I can haul them back on Sunday, or keep em moving forward for that matter.
        • We are going in Powerman's truck, but there is only one slot left.
        • Departure is going to be the 20th afternoon, I think. I need to hammer this out with Powerman if we end up ride sharing like I hope.
      • Or make yer own way over, of course.
    • Accomodations:
      • Optopilot's Plan - Option 1 (Closed?)
        Here - Fifth Wheel Camping / Tenting in campsites
        • If you have not already made arrangements with Optopilot for a spot at his place sounds like he is all "fulled" up. Private message him to beg. :evil
      • Montibank's "Cheap Bastard" Plan - Option 2 (Open)
        Ocenao Dunes SVRA - Here
        • UPDATE: We are going to try to get a campground at a local park if they are not full. If that fails it back on the sand for me most likely.
        • <STRIKE>No showers here no running water, tent camping (Bring yer own im not sharing my single man tent!)
        • It's $10 a night, only for the vehicle pulling the trailer. If we get eight bikes on the truck/trailer and 6 people in side we only pay $10 per night for one vehicle and all get ride on passes. ALL vehicles that want "Free" acces to the SVRA must be loaded on the truck/trailer when we check in at the gate the day of arrival. I have tried to reason in the past with the park rangers that I could load my vehicle very easily on my truck before, the guy just stared and said if "You want a ride on pass, you will" load it. So I loaded it, and gave him a flat stare while I unloaded it just on the other side of the gate to ride it on.
        • There are toilets (glorified pits in the ground not unlike a porta-potty) with no running water. And there is the ocean (c'mon folks where do you think the otters go?) I only plan on sleeping out there, if you are dying for a bon-fire this is the spot to arrange it. I could play taxi service to and from the beach if I take my truck. I will not be drinking during the trip so don't feel weird to ask for rides if you wish to.
        • I do not plan on bringing wood, but I could make arrangements to pick up a free truckload from a family member in the area if yall wish. Lemme know ahead of time and I will make arrangements.
        • Obviously I plan to eat crap (TacoHell, Fin's, McDonalds) the entire trip. And pack something equally nourishing for lunch in the trails. This is not the healthy option!:lol3
        • I plan to ride my 530 and park my truck for the ride days, unless I end up bringing the truck as a support/fuel truck. I would rather not, but I have a feeling I will. Just means less saddle time for me.</STRIKE>
      • DSRider's "I'd rather sleep in a bed" Plan.
        DSRider and several others have voiced a strong interest in splitting rooms at the coast. If you are interested I suggest you contact him ASAP and make reservations. The coastal hotels can fill up quickly!
    • February 21st "Ride Day 1" - (Time TBA)
      • If I know the guys right, they are going to want to be up and running fairly early, if I had to guess I would say on the road no later than 0900 from base camp. Stevele5/DSRider please chime in here what time should we be where?
      • We could meet at
        • Optopilot's or
        • Fin's (a decent greasy spoon) parking lot on Grand Avenue in grover right down the street (2 min drive/ride) from Optopilots place, where it dead ends into the ocean. It is kinda hard to miss the place, find Grand Ave and head for the ocean.
        • Margie's Diner (another equally if not slightly better greasy spoon)
      • After the initial meet up I think we are meeting DSRider's brother somewhere near the trailhead as he knows the area fairly well. DSBrother is our guide to Pozo bliss I believe, the local pro and posses the internal compass.
      • Powerman will most likely be trailering to the trail head, if you want to toss a fuel cell in the back of his truck he said he didn't mind.
    • February 22nd "Ride Day 2" - (Time TBA)
      • I have absolutely no idea what the plan is for the second day. Perhaps it is best left this way. Hell, I may even toss the paddle tire and tire spoons in the truck in case I wanna break stuff out in the dunes. Suggestions welcome.
    ~

Michael
  17. mudpig

mudpig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've asked powerman if he has room for a bike and rider. Would like to avoid riding the ds to and from the coast. Will offload there if I get a ride, ride up the hill to my brother's in arroyo grande, and meet up with the expedition as they head for Pozo each morning.
  18. dsrider

dsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Who will be coming over Friday eve & Sat Morn. So we can meet up?

Great

<TABLE id=post8982328 class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal" class=thead>Today, 07:22 AM <!-- / status icon and date --></TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal" class=thead align=right>#17 </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 width=175>mudpig<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_8982328", true); </SCRIPT>
    Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130

</TD><TD id=td_post_8982328 class=alt1><!-- icon and title -->:thumbup In so far..
    <HR style="COLOR: #575757" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->I've asked powerman if he has room for a bike and rider. Would like to avoid riding the ds to and from the coast. Will offload there if I get a ride, ride up the hill to my brother's in arroyo grande, and meet up with the expedition as they head for Pozo each morning.
    <!-- / message -->
    </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2>[​IMG] Blame MaddBrit </TD><TD class=alt1 align=right><!-- controls --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  19. lsellers

lsellers a DSRIDER

Oddometer:
    Friday here.
  20. dsrider

dsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    <TABLE class=tborder id=post8985164 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal">Today, 01:19 PM <!-- / status icon and date --></TD><TD class=thead style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal" align=right>#19 </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 width=175>lsellers<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_8985164", true); </SCRIPT>
    a DSRIDER

Oddometer: 554

</TD><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_8985164><!-- message -->Friday here.
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
    Find out NOW at www.dsrider.com
    <!-- / sig -->
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>