Pozo! All welcome DSRider SLO Pozo upcoming rides

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by dsrider, Jan 31, 2009.

1. JPaccassi

JPaccassi ...searching

Oddometer:
    No rejet yet. I'm bringing them with me & I can rejet without removing the carb, probably in motel parking lot once I get there:D
  2. stevele5

stevele5 knight errant

Oddometer:
    just in case, alittle chilly this morning i wish the heat would have stuck around, the cool will be nice when were in the tricky trails sections, theres nothing like some dirt to get the circulation flowing.

i hear it may sprinkle a little. that would be kinda nice since the trails are a bit dry.

putting the last few items together packing charging batteries, checking gear and i am just about ready, listening for the thump and picassi to come around the corner, that is a sweet sound.
  3. dsrider

dsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    pozo here we come as much dirt as we can put under the tires from Fresno to pozo
    jp is on his way?? we have bal out the powers 2 klrs 2 drs still a sausage fest no hope there
  4. tarmacter

tarmacter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :cry :cry :cry Dammit.....I want to go SOOOO bad.....

Keep it safe out there guys, no more Chip antics....lol.
  5. montibank

montibank Happy

Oddometer:
    Bah that makes two of us:cry. Yall have fun.
  6. powerman

powerman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You think you two have it bad, I rode down from Merced to see them off. I rode the big girl (Valkerie Tourer) so there would be no way I could go along.:(:
  7. chip

chip Follow Me

Oddometer:
    Hey! I wrecked on purpose. I wanted to see if the front forks could handle collision with a rock and fence and whatever else I hit...

8. montibank

montibank Happy

Oddometer:
    LMFAO!

Aye that sucks... You are are on two wheels still, but I agree ... that sucks.

Hah I ment to ask, was one of this is closest to what was uttered prior to crash:
    1. "Aww c'mon I can make it, er I think... Maybe not .... Oohhff."
    2. "Crap ... Please god no, no, no... Ooohhf." (My personal favorite)
    3. "FFu... Oohhf." (Least favorite, these are the ones that seem to take months to heal again, if it heals back right at all.)
    ~

Michael
  9. lsellers

lsellers a DSRIDER

Oddometer:
    Monti, I won't spill the beans. We asked him the same question haha. All I'll say is that it's kinda close to #1.
  10. dsrider

dsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dinner in pismo
  11. stevele5

stevele5 knight errant

Oddometer:
    Dead tired been riding all day
  12. dsrider

dsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pozo day two Wow nice to wake up here looking forward to coffee we stayed up late last night good times meeting several people at Margie's. So tired who picked 8am on Sat morn what were they thinking dont they know we rode all day yesterday!!! need energy drink!!! must wake up
  13. stevele5

stevele5 knight errant

Oddometer:
    having more fun than a human should be allowed to have
  14. montibank

montibank Happy

Oddometer:
    HAH! Hear ya'll met one of the family members up there. Don't worry he called to taunt me about not being along. Just kidding great guy, wish I coulda been there to surprise him with yall.

~

Michael
  15. lsellers

lsellers a DSRIDER

Oddometer:
    Yup

Mr. 800 and I saw Eric at the Pozo saloon. It's quite a funny story actually. We unloaded our bikes (how I got there and he got there and we ended up there at seperate times to eachother and from "the main group" is another story sorry) and started to head inside when we nodded, and howdie'ied to a few people and headed in. I could see a few people looking over both the 1200 and the 800. I was so proud of the 1200 after 4 years old she's still getting looks.....

We get a few drinks and decide to head out on the front porch. It's a fully covered porch so we head to the back to sit at a table to soak up some of the direct sun. Mr. 800 orderes a burger and the lookie-loos come in and start a conversation.

We start talking bikes, engine size, offroad, it's the best thing in the world.. and this lookie-loo tells me his brother in law LOVES motorcycles and that he just bought the lightest fasted KTMS on the planet. I go hmmm, I know a guy with a KTM, and he's having a bummer time with it...spread the engine all out on the table. However it's one hell of a race machine! Eric asked where we're from and I respond Fresno. He says his brother in law is in Clovis to which I responded: so basically Fresno as well! He agreed. I thought wow, only a local would know that! Then, this is the funniest part, he said....maybe you know my brother in law! We start laughing because as we all know that's fucking impossible! What are the chances? I'm sure whoever it is is related to Kevin Bacon somehow but I listen with kindness. He tells us, yea his brother in law is Mike Burgess (sorry i forget how to spell your name) and as soon as I hear that name clockworks start moving, gears click clockwise... ticking begins... I light up! I yell MONTIBANKS! I tell him you're the guy i was talking about with the bum engine... his response... OMG ME TOO!

By that time it was 1:45 and I was 40 min late from my appointment - i blamed it on no cell service at the saloon and called as soon as I got back into town.

Mr. 800 went over the 58 and may or may not have tried the carrizo plains. I hope he makes it back ok.
  16. lsellers

lsellers a DSRIDER

Oddometer:
    ok so here's the other story. I was slow. Cautious. I enjoyed my pace. I enjoyed the view. The smells. The wind in my face. The dust setteled. I'm not familiar with the GS off road and my collar bone broken I decided to take it easy - albeit a little worried.

We get to the fork. Mr. 900-100=800 was waiting at the Y! I pull up, he goes forward (i think at this time, hmm that's odd, we should be going straight and kinda hrmph in my helmet) and I turn off the GS and wait for Rob. Not because I was faster than Rob, but because when we left, he had his helmet off, had to take a leak, and probably do some other things - and had ok'd the rest of us to go forward sure he'd catch up! I was starting to get warmed up finally, I was giving extra gas in turns and feeling the weight of my wild stallion and how she bucks.

Rob pulls up and we go hrmmmph this is different! He starts up the beast KLRob and banzai's down this little section. I start after him only to come around a corner to, at the time, seemed like a giant covered rock inset into the trail with ruts on both sides and sandy start with rocks and tree roots. In the millisecond I had to judge my situation I make the quick turn, gas it, and head up .. up.... up... I'm getting slower...... slower... oh crap this bike is heavy....slower... and stopped. So bottom line not enough gas!

I sit there and think a sec... ok gun it forward or am I taking it easy today? I decide (and to Steve's credit he makes this look easy) to turn the GS around mid climb. I pointed her down and went the easy way out. Had I been on the xc I would have raced right up. I crossed the disapointing river, it was about a wheel deep, so still kind of fun but not as deep as I remember. I got up to 60 something on the gravel road which was fun, it felt like heaven really. I never knew pebbles and rocks could at some point, feel like clouds.

To make myself feel better I told myself, if it was starting to look bad that soon, maybe it just got worse and that I probably saved my life by turning around!

Curious I pass the saloon and head towards pozo to look for a road that may dump into the one that I'm on to see if Slo-KLR (i get it now),Steve, Rob, Scott, JP and Mr. 800 are there waiting for me... to which they were not because there was no such road at that juncture.

I headed back to the Pozo saloon, because it's a good meeting place, and saw Mr. 800 there!

Perfect! It had gotten worse and it forced the other GS around, tail between its legs!

Things had gotten a little worse. My life saving justification was reinforced and I was once again confident.
  17. lsellers

lsellers a DSRIDER

Oddometer:
    what's this news about people heading back early to sleep/rest/pussout/ while others remain to ride till wee hours in the morning? did someone forget their redline?
  18. A.Vern

A.Vern One Man Wolf Pack

Oddometer:
    Transplanted in North Padre Island, Tejas
    What hill climb were you on? I took my 1150GSA through Hi Mountain Rd last week, but stayed off the ridge tops that time. Good to see another fat kid (GS) out there.:freaky

[​IMG]

Vern
  19. SLO-KLR

SLO-KLR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys I had a great time riding with you all. I have pics and video uploading now so I'll try to post some of those later.
    Who's idea was it to ride Garcia Ridge Jeep trail anyway? That guy is a bonehead................... oh wait that was me :rofl . It was an awesome adventure but I had to pick my bike up too many dammed times. Last night I got hit with some serious muscle cramps in the inside part of my thighs. It was absolute torture, both legs cramped up at the same time and I couldn't move either direction to stretch it out because it would cause the other leg to cramp more. It took me about ten minutes to get to a full standing upright position.
    More to come later.
  20. dsrider

dsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Scott & i rode till the cows came home & went to sleep Just looking at the stair steps damaged the klr drooped the pig and bent the hand guard and broke the lever more to come....