PPE for stops while riding

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Grinnin, May 11, 2020.

1. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    No, this isn't rocket surgery but I thought we could benefit from sharing our practices for stops in a COVID-19 world.

You might be running errands now or soon and might have longer rides while PPE is still recommended.

Do you carry a mask in a tank bag or pocket? Loose or in a plastic bag? Do you re-use the same mask when you have multiple stops? Is there a style of hand-sanitizer bottle that works best for you? Where do you keep it? Do you dispose of gloves after each use or seal them away until they can be sanitized?

The most convenient arrangement I can figure is to a mask for each stop. Keep clean masks in one plastic bag and put used masks in another. Each evening, disinfect or wash and dry the used masks and put them in the bag with the clean ones.

I can't see disposing of gloves at every stop while PPE is in short supply, and reusing them seems like it will just spread germs around. So for me, it's hand sanitizer for now.

While that's what works for me for now, I'd be glad to learn how other riders manage their PPE for stops.
  2. Daboo

Daboo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed, this isn't rocket science. I'll use a mask if I'm going into a store to pick up something. Otherwise, at a gas stop, I'll do as I always do and leave the helmet on. I don't try to use my riding gloves to avoid touching the gas pump. It's hard to manage using a credit card with gloves on. I try to use hand sanitizer before touching anything on the bike.

My mask is a KN95 and isn't washable. I leave it out to air out when I stop.

Chris
  3. dirtybike

dirtybike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bandana worn cowboy style. Tied to fit over face when needed, drapes around neck when you take it off. Hand sanitizer.

And if you want to rob a stagecoach, you are ready.
  4. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    ATGATT seems to have expanded a bit?

Maybe Klim will come out with an antibacterial/antivirus coated jacket. :D
  5. FunkyMad

FunkyMad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just wear my helmet throughout any errands. People here wear masks or masks and faceshields. Helmet seems appropriate. I have a neck tube that covers my mouth under but it's also because it's still cold here.
  6. Mountainhound

Mountainhound Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nothing not a pussy! I've no intentions of getting the vaccine if and when one is available and will if not already come I contact with it just like everybody else unless you plan on wearing a bio suit. Its a virus and no hiding from it.

Out of curiosity plan on wearing the shit indefinitely or just until some talking head says ok your safe now?
    Glenn247, EastRoad, SnowMule and 6 others like this.
  7. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll probably wear it until carriers like you are all gone... :jack

By the way... :finger
  8. SASteve

SASteve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You realize the mask is not to protect you but to help keep you from spreading it right? That hit home for me when I was chatting with my elderly neighbor a few weeks ago and he was really upset about people in the grocery store with no mask on, made me think about it differently. I use a neck gaiter whenever going into a store just pull it up
  9. Mountainhound

Mountainhound Long timer

Oddometer:
    right back at you!

Not easy to kill so I may be here for a while.

So lets see your going to wear it until it is eradicated? You going to get vaccine? If and when one is available. Or like I asked just waiting for some talking head to tell you you are safe. Its a virus and it's not going anywhere ever, but hey by all means hide (futile). But me i choose to live until i die of whatever the cause. I'm sure as hell not going to hide from the unavoidable because it's a virus and no hiding from it.
    Glenn247 and KingOfFleece like this.
  10. Mountainhound

Mountainhound Long timer

Oddometer:
    Again I ask how long? I never intend to get a vaccine just like I choose not to get the flu shot. How about the old neighbor he planning on getting a shot? Or does he expect everyone to wear a mask indefinitely? Or perhaps he is just waiting for some talking head to say it's safe to remove your mask.
    Glenn247 likes this.
  11. jonnyd

jonnyd n00b

Oddometer:
    That was an intelligent conversation.
  12. SASteve

SASteve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :asshat
  13. Vrode

Vrode Not my problem Supporter

Oddometer:
    It’s still cool here. Neck gaiter goes up when needed. Hand sanitizer in tank bag gets used often.
  14. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    I'm sure the sizing will be all fucked up on that too.
    GHanson, Stasher1, elcabong and 4 others like this.
  15. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    You might want to consider getting your news from a source that isn't on TV.
  16. skierd

skierd Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer:
    Seems to me this is the sort of thing tank bags are made for: to the store the crap you need during the day.

As far as disposable gloves, I think it’s impractical for most people to be constantly using and changing gloves in a way that would actually prevent anything. Just wash your hands or use sanitizer.

And of course use social distancing, especially to stay away from people like @Mountainhound who only think of their own slight inconvenience instead of the common good.

If masks become a regular thing, so be it. I’d also like to see universal defined paid sick leave so people who are sick, ‘rona or the flu or pneumonia or whatever else, can stay home and recooperate instead of forcing themselves to work so they don’t lose everything and end up making us all sick too.
    Dan Alexander and Grinnin like this.
  17. Travman

Travman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use neck gaiter and have several masks so I have options. For gas pumps I carry a few disposable shop rags, basically heavy duty paper towels, then still sanitize afterwards. In my county the mortality rate is over 5%, so yes I’m cautious.
    Grinnin likes this.
  18. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hand sanitizer and wipes on the DR!
    20200322_113929.jpg
    Valentino likes this.
  19. gsboar

gsboar springfield miler

Oddometer:
    masks & sanitizer+paper towels in separate zip-lock bags in tank bag....

i had other comments, but deleted them to keep this thread on topic....
    Valentino and Grinnin like this.
  20. Mountainhound

Mountainhound Long timer

Oddometer:
    :csm