PPE for stops while riding

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Grinnin, May 11, 2020.

1. Midnightventure

Midnightventure -

Oddometer:
    My son lives in China and he has been saying since the start that the experts here were crazy for not recommending masks. I do think that is part of the reason China has gotten it basically under control even though most of their population is packed in tighter than New York. I am making an effort to wear a mask mostly for others benefit but I catch myself in a store without it sometimes. Of course in my county we have only had 3 cases and they have all recovered.
    DesertDonor and brianpc like this.
  2. Mountainhound

Mountainhound Long timer

Oddometer:
    And that I just don't understand! Everybody just seems hell bent on spreading fear.
    Glenn247 and ab8mi like this.
  3. ozmoses

ozmoses .

Oddometer:
    Are you familiar with Charles Bukowski?
  4. abramsgunner

abramsgunner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Based on people's behavior in my neck of the woods, the pandemic is over...LOL (Granted, it never really took off here. County of 100,000 with about 100 tested positive cases, so far...)
  5. DesertDonor

DesertDonor Deep Sand and Mud Detector

Oddometer:
    Yep, extra cloth mask tucked into jacket pocket. For gas stops, I always pay at the pump, and use sanitizing wipes on everything I need to touch. Wipe down gloves with it one more time before tossing it after I'm done with the pump. Helmet stays on the entire time, visor down.

Cloth mask only comes out if I need to talk to someone & therefore helmet must come off, as when dropping the bike off to get it worked on. I wash the mask when I get home.

My system isn't not perfect, but perfect safety is an illusion anyway.
    Grinnin likes this.
  6. brianbrannon

brianbrannon They'll ride up with wear

Oddometer:
    Face masks don't magically start being effective based on supply and demand. Every single PPE chart shows how effect different masks are and unless its N95 it's useless except for feelings
    Fast1, ab8mi and Fosters like this.
  7. DesertDonor

Oddometer:
    Incorrect, any mask is more effective than no mask.
  8. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    For $1,700. :augie And then we'll see about 20 of them in the FM in 2 years for.......$1,500. :lol3
    DesertDonor likes this.
  9. brianbrannon

brianbrannon They'll ride up with wear

Oddometer:
    Playing dress up > statistics
  10. bwringer

bwringer Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer:
    1) Minimize the need to stop or interact. Carry some pop, water, and snacks, pee in the woods. Save the deuce for home if possible.

2) Carry a small bottle of hand sanitizer, and when getting gas, use hand sanitizer before and after handling pump. I've also seen folks using a plastic grocery bag as a hand condom, then tossing the bag afterwards.

3) Carry a cloth mask if it becomes necessary to go inside somewhere. I'd carry disposable masks, but they are still unobtanium around here.

4) Carry a few gloves in case it becomes necessary for other reasons. I have some nitrile mechanic's gloves, so I bring a few pairs of these.

5) Wipes have also become unobtanium around here, but a few paper towels with a few spritzes of alcohol in a Ziploc bag might be handy.

6) If you need food, use your cell phone to order online or call whenever possible, and squat-n-gobble in the parking lot. Most places provide forks and such, or perhaps carry a spork. Some places of course, you have to order carry-out over the counter.

7) The data is hard to find, but I check on what the Governor is saying about current hospital capacity before blastoff. Ending up in the hospital on a given motorcycle ride is never a huge risk, but it's there and if there's a virus flare-up and the ERs are getting full I'll stay home.

8) Like a pilot, I have my "personal minimums"; a certain level of assorted risk factors where I'll alter or scrub the mission. During COVID-19 time, I'm reducing my personal minimums. For example, I'll leave a little later or get back a little sooner just to remove some of the fatigue factor. I'm also avoiding rain a bit more these days, and only mild dual-sporting with one or two trusted friends. If I'm by myself and my wife is working, I'll stay relatively close to home so that if I have a breakdown, there's at least a chance I could get a Lyft back home.

9) Bring my IDGAF attitude. Lots of folks in my state are doing their damndest to ignore all this. I can't control what others do, but I can and will take the necessary steps to protect myself and others.

10) Avoid people is obvious, but also avoid places where people hang out. Don't stop at picnic spots, for example; use your motorcycle as a picnic table.
  11. gsboar

gsboar springfield miler

Oddometer:
    ok, since this thread has ventured way off course, i will add my 60+ yr old thoughts for your private consideration:

- covid-19 can pose a very real threat to your health....
    - we are only beginning to understand this bug, but it is certainly not the flu & presently there is not a good predictor of who will develop mild or severe symptoms....
    - given our current state of knowledge, neither my personal nor social/gov't cautionary actions are over-reactions - they are just common sense....
    moreover, i see nothing wrong with a bit of over-reaction - like it or not, we live in a global community... because our collective personal, social, medical, health care, & gov't response has been so pathetic, my hope is that we learn from this pandemic.... the next virus may not be so forgiving....
    - assessment of acceptable risk is not black&white: i have found myself traveling/working during riots/social unrest, up-tics in cases of bubonic plague, hiking/working in areas with lions, leopards, & hyenas, exploring caves in areas where histoplasmosis & hantavirus were known, & working where typhus, & tb were not uncommon, but took i prudent precautions... life is fun & i do not cower in fear, but until adequate covid-19 testing, proven treatments, & hopefully a vaccine are available it is prudent to wear masks, practice social-distancing, & avoid folks in confined spaces...
    - equally important, the recommendations are the socially responsible thing to do... risks i do & have taken do not put others in physical danger - i don't go 'round firing a gun indiscriminately, or speeding thru a school yard or parking lot, but sick & asymptomatic folks walking around, eating in restaurants, etc are doing something comparable... it is irresponsible & selfish....
    - the virus does float around live for some undetermined amount of time - you may not let people breath on you, but if an infected person exhaled, coughed, or sneezed recently, you may be walking thru & inhaling the virus...
    - certainly if you can smell a person's bad breath as often happens on an elevator, on a bus or plane, or similar confined space you are close enough to get infected...
    - the recommended minor alterations of my behavior are not at all onerous....i am not hiding in my house, fearful of going out - i still ride pretty much daily & have camping trips planned this summer... BUT i have altered my behavior to minimize my risk & threat to others.... wearing a mask, frequent hand washing, & social distancing are far from perfect protection/prevention, but all indications are that it helps....
    - i can live with others thinking me weak or over-reacting...
    - i feel for folks who are out of work, kids that can't see their friends or go to school, teachers struggling to do online lessons, & especially the dedicated health care workers who care for the infected.... their current suffering shines a stark light on our nation's medieval (or frontier/mountain man/wild west if you prefer) attitude about health care, education, societal responsibilities & values...

...the sky is not falling - keep calm & carry on - we will get thru this & hopefully will learn a thing or 2....
    LuvPop, Gearhead-UK, motofshr and 9 others like this.
  12. Valentino

Valentino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why not?
  13. flexiflyer

flexiflyer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They do based on Fauci's March 60 minutes appearance where he all but laughs at the notion and what he says now. As well as the Surgeon General's childish tweet the week before Fauci's interview saying to quit buying them they don't stop spread and what he says now. So, either they magically became effective or they were lying. You make the call.
    DesertDonor likes this.
  14. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    Balaclava for the win.
  15. Mountainhound

Mountainhound Long timer

Oddometer:
    Because there are no guarantees. It works in some and not in others.
  16. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Facts > your opinion.
    LuvPop, DesertDonor, Grinnin and 2 others like this.
  17. DesertDonor

Oddometer:
    I was having this discussion with my girlfriend the other day.

I don't have any specific problem with Klim gear and only own one piece,* and not ALL of it is ridiculously overpriced. That said, when you find yourself paying fully-custom prices (think Motoport and Aerostich) for mass-manufactured gear, I think you have to stop and question your life choices.

The most famous Klim overreach is probably their "Rally" jacket. $1700 for...just a jacket. For that price you can have a fully customized Roadcrafter one-piece suit, with all possible bells and whistles, and still have enough left over to get yourself a really nice new pair of boots, or a decent helmet. Nuts!

*actually that's a lie. I have Klim's winter balaclava. It was $40, and then I needed to spend another $20 having a tailor add length, so that it was actually usable. But, no one else offers anything better, so oh well.
    Bigger Al likes this.
  18. johnwoodsrides

johnwoodsrides Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I fuel up at a pump that also has auto diesel, as most of those have disposable gloves to keep the diesel off your hands. If no free gloves, I use a paper towel to touch anything that isn’t mine. I work construction so had a box of N95 masks before this ever started an if a business requires a mask, I put it on. If not (most lumber yards), I don’t.
  19. Applecrate

Applecrate Smell It First

Oddometer:
    Mountainhound: I appreciate that in your neck of the woods a mask may be overkill. I live in a city, so I think PPE is pretty important for us. My neighbor's dad died just the other day from it. I know quite a few who have gotten the virus and several who were hospitalized. One lost his hearing and several still don't have their taste and smell back and its been nearly two months.

I may not kill people, but I don't want to wound them, so I wear a mask and glove when I put gas in my car. When I'm on my bike I keep my helmet on when I gas up the bike.

As far as people being hellbent on spreading fear, whatever happened to that darn wall we needed to keep out the killer Mexicans?
  20. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I rode by it on Saturday, it's still there.
    canoeguy likes this.