PPE for stops while riding

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Grinnin, May 11, 2020.

1. ozmoses

ozmoses .

Oddometer:
    Uh-oh.

This post demonstrates waaaay too much critical thinking.
    levain, SASteve and RoundTrip like this.
  2. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Has anyone noticed that hand sanitizer makes a great lube for earplugs?
    DesertDonor likes this.
  3. RoundTrip

RoundTrip Unintentional deerslayer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What flavor?
    DesertDonor likes this.
  4. squish

squish Out of the office.

Oddometer:
    What kind of earplugs do you use where you need lube...

Wait, I don't think I want to know the answer to that question.
  5. EastRoad

EastRoad Road Viking

Oddometer:
    ^this...

your opinion might be different, and that‘s ok.
    you want to wear a face mask and bath in hand santisier twice a day? it‘s ok.
    I don‘t.
    Fosters likes this.
  6. snglfin

snglfin this statement is untrue

Oddometer:
    DesertDonor and JeepDawg like this.
  7. Mountainhound

Mountainhound Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. snglfin

Oddometer:
    um, no, that’s not quite right... facts are provable data that can be tested and verified. face masks are proven to inhibit the spread of the virus, that’s simply a fact. did you read the article?
    DesertDonor and JeepDawg like this.
  9. Barnaby'sDad

Barnaby'sDad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I keep a mask and hand sanitizer in the tank bag for stops.
    DesertDonor, JeepDawg and Grinnin like this.
  10. Mountainhound

Mountainhound Long timer

Oddometer:
    Proper mask help, most are not wearing a proper mask, or properly. But hey if it makes you feel better go for it. But if mask help how did it not help the doc that contracted it threw his eyes?

But even if they do help, how long you planning on wearing one? Until it is eradicated? Until there is a vaccine? Are you planning on getting vaccine? Or are you just waiting for the talking heads to say ok sheep your safe now you can remove your mask?
  11. SASteve

SASteve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    possibly the stupidest thing I have ever seen. I mean that literally.

“But if helmets help, how about that guy that died in a Motorcycle crash wearing a helmet?”

Damn dude, forget all your macho bullshit for a minute. As has been stated multiple times, masks aren’t for you they’re for others. Masks come down to one simple thing - common fucking courtesy.

The fact this is completely lost on you is just sad
    DesertDonor, LuvPop, dravnx and 6 others like this.
  12. Mountainhound

Mountainhound Long timer

Oddometer:
    No that has not been lost on me! What seems to be lost on you is its a fucking virus never going anywhere, and i have no intentions of ever getting a the vaccine if and when one is available, do you? This virus is here to stay and everybody is going to come in contact with it period no discussion it is a fact! Now you can choose to hide from it in vein but i have no intentions of hiding, machoism has got not one damn thing to do with it! Understanding it's a virus that is never ever going anywhere does. You can choose to live in fear but I choose not to. One last thing this whole it's not for you it's for them bullshit, fuck that! It's arbitrary and a false sense of security. So if your scared stay home or wear a mask or whatever, but don't expect everyone else to share your fear.

Oh never answered my question, when you plan on loosing mask?
  13. snglfin

Oddometer:
    as the article states, even cloth masks help. (again, did you read it?) you’re right, not everyone wears them properly, but how is that relevant to this discussion? it’s not about making myself feel better, it’s about slowing the spread to others if i’m one of the asymptomatic carriers. regarding the doctor who was infected, the dosage of the virus (number of specimens infecting the person) is a factor - was the doctor was treating covid-19 patients? i don’t know the specific incident you’re referring to, maybe you can post a link?

i will continue to wear a mask until the rate of spread is under control. i’m not planning to get vaccinated, how can i? a vaccine doesn’t yet exist. i’m not going to respond to your last sentence, as it isn’t applicable to the discussion, and is a just little troll-y.

there’s lots of information available out there, but that requires that you (the collective you) actually do the work of thinking critically. i know simple folks want simple answers, but you’ll have to excuse me if i’m gonna put my trust in people who are experts in their respective fields over someone who simply doesn’t want to be inconvenienced by this pandemic.

here’s some good info:

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-the-hammer-and-the-dance-be9337092b56

https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/expert-reaction-to-questions-about-covid-19-and-viral-load/

be well,

johnnyg
    DesertDonor and Grinnin like this.
  14. Mountainhound

Mountainhound Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bla bla bla its a frigging virus people die tough shit get over it. Did that clear up my opinion and stance on this. Let me say it again to be clear, thousands of people die every single die from this or something else, but thousands of people die, such is life. This virus is not going anywhere, so it's time to just suck it up and get on with living and let the dead die.

Oh and what numbers are we talking about? Because it seems the books have been cooked to make it look worse than it really is. But hey for the greater good right. Millions infected only a small amount of death.
  15. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am of the opinion that you will be on the wrong side of history on this, based on the factual numbers / reporting I've seen, as well as reports from other countries. I hope I'm wrong (and I hope you are right), but we're already seeing people talking about "overblown" response critique and I would argue overblown = working. "small amount of death" is subjective IMHO, and we're not close to this being over yet, so I guess we'll see?

I think I said this well enough earlier in my post in this thread, but if you're lucky enough to live in a remote part of the US where this is somebody else's problem, then consider yourself lucky, but your attitude is great for you and your situation but won't apply to the country as a whole. You get to wait it out and hopefully this won't ever impact your daily life or the health of your loved ones.

I am glad this topic exists, because PPE / distancing protocols are going to probably be a way of life going forward for the world now, even after the big wave of this has passed - much like how Asian culturally adapted to masks / gloves as a norm after SARS. History is great, it always repeats itself and you can go back and see what happened and apply it going forward.
    Valentino and snglfin like this.
  16. snglfin

Oddometer:
    yep, people die every day... but when more people die than the historical average, say by 100k more in a four month period (and that’s with the shutdown), doesn’t it make sense to respond pragmatically? if you’re an asymptomatic carrier, do you not care about exposing people with compromised immune systems? do you know anyone who has been infected? where do you get your information to stay current with what’s happening in the world? i’ve answered your questions, will you respond in kind?

oh, and some good information about those numbers you mentioned:
    https://www.health.org.uk/news-and-...fairest-way-to-make-international-comparisons

be well,

johnnyg
  17. Mountainhound

Mountainhound Long timer

Oddometer:
    I read and am a student of history. Its a virus a bad virus but a virus none the less, its brand spanking new, once some herd immunity starts building less will have issues, just like the influenza virus, which by the way even with a vaccine 50 million people get it every year and between 32k and 62k die of it every single year in the US. Not positive on the numbers but I believe 500,000 people died in the US back in 1918 when it (influenza) was brand spanking new and the world was a hell of a lot bigger back then.
    EastRoad likes this.
  18. snglfin

Oddometer:
    you didn’t answer any of my questions. do you not think it’s pragmatic to take a cautious approach? if you’re asymptomatic, do you just not care if you’re spreading it to more vulnerable people? do you know anyone who has been infected?
    where do you get your info from to stay current on happenings in the world? looking forward to your answers.

be well,

johnnyg
    Grinnin and Valentino like this.
  19. EastRoad

EastRoad Road Viking

Oddometer:
    Ok, I‘ll bite.... not sure why - but I‘m in the mood (and yes, I‘m aware, this is getting basement material quickly).

I don‘t know about you - I really don‘t so I‘m not going to assume anything here.
    But I have quite a bit of working experience with all sorts of industrial PPE.
    Proper handling & use of PPE is not as simple as it‘s often presumed to be. facemasks, especially the „surgical“ type (that doesn‘t seal) are only of limited functionality and that level of functionality is diminished again and again with every little „misuse“ in the process... from them getting too wet (humid).... from being pulled on and off wrongly, from plain and simple not fitting well, to actually contact of the surface with your hands, transferring crap from a multitude of locations to your hands, back to your face, from your face to somewhere else.... frankly, the way I‘ve seen most people handle these silly masks, it‘s a lot of things I‘d label as counterproductive.
    Then comes what a LOT of people seem to have is a completely odd understanding of how stuff transfers and also how much real protection these masks actually offer / don‘t offer and with that a completely false sense of „being protected“.
    In motorcycle terms it‘s like wearing ATGAT and thinking you‘re now essentially bomb-proof und immortal.... that full frontal collision with that suv on the other lane, will still cripple you, no matter how tough your leather is.
    Or the hard core chopper rider wearing that brain cap.... tshirt and a vest, and some low quality jeans... freedom baby, freedom.

That aside...
    you can wear a face mask - I‘m perfectly fine with that btw.
    If you are actually within a high risk group - I‘d also consider that you‘d stay away from the general public as best as you can...
    it‘s a bit like if you‘d be allergic, as in really allergic, to bee stings... you have several options: Kill all the bees,... always carry your epipen.... or try to avoid bees (and perhaps carry your epipen).... I think option one, whilst definitely the safest bet for „you“ is the worst thing you could actually do for the rest.....
    whether you do option two or three, entirely up to you. The problem I see is that lots of governments sort of went for the „kill all bees“ option to some extend.... sure it works to some degree, but there‘s long lasting harm that outweighs the potential benefits.

I‘m also not saying more hygiene is a bad idea.
    Personally I hate crowds... I never liked them - I never like being squeezed into a horde of people. I find that utterly nasty and avoid it like the plague (even without a plague).. so for me personally social distancing I couldn‘t give a flying fu... it doesn‘t bother me. but a lot of people love crowds and the close proximity to a lots of humans... for them it sucks to avoid that for a while.

and again, if someone wants to wear a mask and believe it‘s the next best thing to a cold beer, fine by me. but please - spare me the community policing hobby-gestapo who goes around telling everyone else what they should do.
    where I live (and it‘s not a third world country) - masks are NOT mandatory (the official health thing of the gvt. says they‘re of limited use, and can help if basic social distancing can‘t be implemented) and case numbers GO DOWN...

I‘m not into conspiracies, I‘m not anti-vaccine, I don‘t really care whether COVID-19 is something that naturally happened (animal to human) or whether it‘s a lab fuck up... I‘m also not saying the thing is „just a flu“ (albeit the basic genus of the virus, „corona virus“ is essentially related)...
    But look at mortality rates, look at the fact the numbers (where I live) are going down quickly...
    the other things‘ this ... I‘m not at risk, I‘m perfectly healthy... sure there‘s a freak chance I get COVID-19, and will have all the nasty it can get - but that‘s a VERY VERY low chance.... (it‘s a bit like Joe who‘s 25, healthy, and dies of pneumonia from a flu... or from a cut and a follow up mistreated or neglected blood infection, or from syphilis (yes, „Joe“ should have worn a condom)... ... ) there‘s a long list of things that can kill a healthy 10-50 yr old person... but just because there‘s a fractional chance something can be extremely nasty, it doesn‘t mean I want to start focusing my entire lifetime on avoiding it... if shit hits the fan, shit hits the fan.

And I frankly and openly think, the governments have overstepped their boundaries by a mile and then some already with the way lockdowns were imposed in lots of countries, borders shut, etc...
    I think that we will have a very long lasting world wide economic and humanitarian and perhaps even political crisis ahead of us. Sure it‘s easy to spell out blame and tell anyone what was handled wrongly... I can understand why some stuff has been done.
    But the daily panic making mass media, the contradicting bloated number of „experts“ on any matter covid, your friend the virologist (suddenly everyone has a friend who‘s a virologist....), the hype around hand sanitiser (oh, yes, say hello to your new friend Ekzema btw... your dermatologist will welcome you later) and now the all beloved „wear a facemask, god damnit crowd“... it doesn‘t help one iota.

So no, facemasks to me - during my daily life, during „pit stops“, shopping etc... - are *mostly* bullshit.... and as long as I still have some rights of personal freedom in this brave new world... I‘ll exercise them.
    And please, again, bath in hand sanitiser all you want, wear a facemask, safety specs, or for all I care, wear the full hazmat suit, PAPR gear, etc... really, I won‘t even ridicule you if you do.... personal choices. but stop trying to push your needs and world views down my throat, for that I‘d even say thank you.
    Xsv, Fast1, snglfin and 2 others like this.
  20. Mountainhound

Mountainhound Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have said you choose not to like it, i read and i am a student of history who understands the nature of things, and no im not out there spreading my germs now nor have i before this virus. But hey you never really answered my questions, saying oh when not so infectious is a cop out because it will always be what it is, the only thing that is going to change is there are less vulnerable people to it, so oh the numbers will come down.
    EastRoad likes this.