PPE for stops while riding

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Grinnin, May 11, 2020.

1. snglfin

snglfin this statement is untrue

Oddometer:
    i don’t see where i was “community policing hobby-gestapo telling people what they should do”, please point it out to me. my entry into this discussion was to clarify facts from opinion, specifically stating that face masks, even homemade, are effective in reducing the spread. at no point did i tell anyone else what they should or shouldn’t do. as your government recognizes, masks help when distancing can’t be avoided, and yes, (surprise!) the case numbers go down. i repeated that fact, and seemingly, some folks bristled at it because “freedom”.

i agree with your assessment of ppe, and i do see folks wearing/handling masks improperly. however, it’s a small percentage of the people i encounter, and just because not everyone is doing it properly means it’s not worth doing? the statistics show otherwise.

i’m trying to find the middle ground in this situation, and that lies somewhere between “it’s all a hoax” and “don’t go outside or you’ll die”. i use facts to guide my decision making, and share those facts when folks misrepresent them to muddy the water.

i’ll ask you the same question i asked earlier, do you simply not care if you’re asymptomatic and spreading the virus to the more vulnerable people in your area? if the question feels critical to you, perhaps it’s an indication that further consideration is warranted.

i’ve avoided using the words “rights” and “freedom” in the discussion, lest we get punted to the basement, but since you brought them up... to my way of thinking, freedom doesn’t exist without responsibility.

again, please show me where i’m trying to push my needs and world views down your throat. you can’t, so i’ll thank you for not putting words in my mouth.

be well,

johnnyg
    DesertDonor and Grinnin like this.
  2. snglfin

Oddometer:
    you still haven’t answered my questions, but it doesn’t matter.

i don’t understand your first sentence, please clarify... you have said i choose not to like what, exactly?

“i’m not out there spreading my germs”... well, unless you’re not out there at all, you are spreading germs, period. it’s the nature of how life works.

i stated i was following the practice until the rate of spread is below 1. that’s not a cop out. i’m using facts to guide my decision making. that’s an actual, quantifiable number of cases in my area.

yes, everyone is going to be exposed to the virus. the point is to slow the rate of spread down to keep the healthcare facilities from being overwhelmed. i don’t like it any more than you, but best practices dictate that using these measures is our best course of action to avoid a societal collapse. you think it’s inconvenient now? it’s a hell of a lot better than the alternative you seem to be advocating for.

be well,

johnnyg
  3. Mountainhound

Mountainhound Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your using fear to say your facts are facts and everyone else's facts aren't facts. The facts is its a virus, fact is I am not now nor was I ever coughing sneezing or spitting upon anyone, nor do I crowd people in public, never have, I like my space. If my breathing without a mask bothers you that's your problem. Now go wait until someone says your safe.
    demondog likes this.
  4. Some_Dude

Some_Dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure when it happened, but it seems like freedom is now an excuse for being irresponsible and a justification for being ignorant.
    LuvPop, snglfin, +venture and 3 others like this.
  5. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    TBH I understand the "don't tell me what to do, government" / personal choice rationale - I have the same feelings about the draft or mandatory military service. The government asking someone to make personal sacrifices for the greater good of others is completely unprecedented and a bunch of bull$h!t, right?
    snglfin likes this.
  6. +venture

+venture Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well. The "don't tell me what to do" thing. Yikes!

No one should follow rules? The "government", which ideally should be all of us (I know it is not - hence "ideally") tells us what to do plenty. We have an organized society which only survives because most of us choose to follow most of the rules. The thing is now is that we all feel empowered to pick and choose which ones we follow, and god help the m*therf*cker who tries to tell us otherwise.

So, don't wear a mask. Go ahead, prove you're a rugged individualist. If a few vulnerable people die because of it? Well, they should've been better prepared, right? But what if some rugged individualist drives drunk b/c 'no one can tell him what to do' and kills your mom/sister/wife?

Rule following is for the other guy, right? But the other guy could also happen to be someone who ruins your life due to his ruggedly individual choices. After that happens it might change your mind about being responsible toward others. But then again, maybe not.

Rant over... ride safe
    JeepDawg, snglfin, crackerguy and 2 others like this.
  7. Treedguy

Treedguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    :y0!
    I know when it happened.

As far as equipment, I have been N95 inside public places since the end of February.
    brianpc, snglfin and +venture like this.
  8. snglfin

Oddometer:
    please point out examples of where i’m using fear? i’m citing statistical data. you can either refute the data with conflicting data, or you can question the methodology used to gather the data i’m citing, but you’re not offering much beyond repeatedly stating it’s just a virus.

despite your protests to the contrary, everyone, by virtue of breathing, is spreading germs. period. this simply isn’t debatable. and how we mitigate those potential contagions is entirely the point of this discussion.

you not wearing a mask doesn’t bother me. i brought basic, simple facts to the discussion, and these facts seem to bother you.

i don’t want to treat anyone with derision, but when you won’t cite where you get your info beyond “i read”, i’d suggest you do a bit more, and from other sources. the 1918 flu had a second wave that killed more people than the first. i would think if you’re a student of history you would know that and apply that knowledge to the present?

i asked if you know anyone who has been infected, and you didn’t answer. i would guess you don’t. my sister was infected and took weeks to recover from the pneumonia. and a friend’s 12 year old was infected but sadly, didn’t recover.

i wish, like everyone else, this wasn’t affecting our lives and livelihoods like it is... but there’s no wishing this away, so the next best thing is to minimize its effects on society. if being confronted with information that is at odds with your actions and that makes you uncomfortable, it’s not me telling you what to do, it’s your conscience.

be well,

johnnyg
    +venture, flamingm0e and Grinnin like this.
  9. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's a good effort, but it's obvious he doesn't get it. There are a lot of people out there like that. Clear explanations don't help.
  10. snglfin

Oddometer:
    thanks jamie... i have to admit i’m kinda star struck that you quoted my post, i’ve been reading your excellent contributions here for years.

that’s my last response to him, unless i get a reasoned counter point (one can always hope). i really don’t want to clutter the thread or get it booted downstairs, but it’s almost as if one can deduce some folks’ political leanings by their posts in here. same arguments, same points made. thinking critically requires mental work, and some folks just won’t do it.

be well,

johnnyg
  11. Mountainhound

Mountainhound Long timer

Oddometer:
    Life sucks then you die of one thing or another. I am not now or ever going to wear a mask to protect you from my nasty germs, just because. Oh my god i breathed around someone. So sick and tired of the you don't care about anybody but yourself if you don't wear a mask bullshit. I keep stating it's a virus because it's a virus and I have zero intentions of ever getting a vaccine if and when one is available, doubt it will be eradicated, so as I see it wearing a mask is foolish. But hey you want to wear one more power to you, but I think your all a bunch of fools.
  12. snglfin

Oddometer:
    ah, a cogent argument if i’ve ever heard one. you do you, big guy.

be well,

johnnyg
  13. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It takes a lot of effort on my part to remember that people who share opinions like @Mountainhound may be coming from a place of denial / fear / anger / helplessness, and I do my best to assume positive intent. I will say that this whole ordeal has been a crucible for me, my patience, and what's come out of it is an absolute refusal to stand by and listen to folks parrot incorrect facts or inconsistencies in truth or data.
    Opinions are welcome, and I accept disagreement / difference of opinion, but the fundamentals of those debates have to have an agreed-upon acceptance of facts/truth, and I'm just done with humoring people who spout "facts" at me that justify whatever opinion supports their narrative.

The other side of it is, there's folks in this country who Covid may not ever be anything to worry about - great for them. The rest of us can deal with it as we see fit and ignore ignorance (hah!) as needed.
    JeepDawg, snglfin and Jamie Z like this.
  14. +venture

Oddometer:
    Crucible. That is the right word. I agree completely.
    It is too bad that Covid was turned into a partisanship issue when every effort should have been made to shut it down. All the time wasted has let it kill way too many of us. Who knows where the numbers will go, but right now we are #1. In lives lost that is. :fpalm
    brianpc and snglfin like this.
  15. Mountainhound

Mountainhound Long timer

Oddometer:
    Crack me up! My attitude about this has zero to do with fear, anger and most certainly does not come from denial. I've said all along it's a bad virus, but the response to is overblown and foolish. The part you all seem to be missing is I don't give 2 shits that 353k people have died from it! People die from any number of things this is just a new way to die. None and I mean absolutely none of the precautions beside the mask and social distancing are new they are what everybody should have been doing before this new virus came about. I have zero interest in wearing a mask to save myself or to protect you from my cooties. I feel this whole over response was foolish. What are we to run and hide every time a new virus comes about, I think not. We as a species are a social herd animal and as such we are vulnerable to certain things such as viruses. You do all realize that no virus ever has wiped out a species, not the way the work. Oh no old and weak people died, better run and hide from the boogie man.

So lets see over 5 million people infected 353k dead since November when it emerged, but if everyone that comes in contact then spreads to 10 people and those 10 people spread it to 10 more and so on 50 million must have come in contact with it but had such a mild reaction or none at all that unless every single person is tested we will never know for sure just how many already have immunity.

Complete and total over reaction to a virus. I have no problem with individual precautions because you are vulnerable or have a vulnerable person at home you want to try in vain to protect go for it. But I personally and many others choose not to, and because we choose not to live in fear or denial we just want life to get back to normal, and are passed that it got all fucked up to save some old and weak people that are going to die anyway, of this something else.

People die every single day anything from malnutrition, disease accident, viruses murder some even take thier own lives (Which is up by the way) there are millions of ways to die, because from the day you are conceived death is a certainty.

So such it up butter cups people die this is just an new way.
    EastRoad likes this.
  16. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    you Sir, are a dumbass.
    CA Stu and flamingm0e like this.
  17. Mountainhound

Mountainhound Long timer

Oddometer:
    :rayof
  18. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    Certainly doesn't require a lid while riding, right?
  19. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    Nah, you know the old saying, $20 helmet for a $20 head.

in this case, it's " come on Darwin!, I'll chip in the $20!"
  20. +venture

Oddometer:
    I just had a discussion with my 16-year-old daughter about how much of a shame it was some people become permanently fixed in binary thinking.

Good luck Mountainhound. I’m sure you’re a good person. Check for typos before you hit send tho’, it’ll make you come off smarter.
    Or not, in which case I’ll just “such it up” because I’m such a buttercup. :dunno
    snglfin likes this.