Prairie OK?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by 660SMC, Feb 20, 2006.

1. 660SMC

660SMC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As my move to Alberta draws near, does anyone know if it is ok to ride the military areas of the prairie nw of Med Hat?
    I'm trying to get my 660 KTM flown over for a bit of hooning about.
  2. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    BATUS?
  3. Stand Up

Stand Up Ride non-painted roads

Oddometer:
    for unexploded ordinance. We are planning a trip to Cypress Hills just south and east of you probably the middle of May. It's an area where the glaciers missed - cool vegitation etc and pretty good off-road too. We will have a guy who lived in the area showing us around. Should be a good one. Stay tuned.
  4. tokenboy

tokenboy Gnirly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you are refering to the Suffield Military Block, you are SOL. Not open to the public.
  5. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    Tokenboy, that is an evil sig line! :D
  6. Drif10

Oddometer:
    If he's going where I think he is, then he'll have access. I can, for example.
  7. tokenboy

Oddometer:
    I would not say that is much of an example. You gave no information other than a cryptic "I can".
  8. Drif10

Oddometer:
    Military. Usually, as long as there's no ex going on, you can get permission to ride the training areas.
  9. tokenboy

Oddometer:
    When ever we have done operations on the base in the past (drilling, completions, pipeline, etc) we have a window that generally does not include the summer months and have to check in to get the base, have to stick to the main road, and not allowed to deviate from the main roads.

I'd head south to Manyberries. Some interesting land there that would be fun to ride.
  10. 660SMC

660SMC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes I'm going to BATUS for a couple of years. What does SOL mean?
  11. Drif10

Oddometer:
    Shit outta luck.

Bet you have a buddy already stationed there. Get him to ask range control about you riding the training area outside exercise times. DRES is there, and so the chem defence testing they do will restrict some areas as well.

Did 4 months there once. Whole lot of flat. And straight. and more straight. If your dog runs away from home, you can watch him go for 3 days. :lol3

The good news is that the rockies are about 4 hours west, and are a must see. Also, Popping down into Montana and northern Idaho can find some great riding. You're just east of the whole Rocky Mountain range, which runs from the Yukon down to Mexico. Check the Annual Rallies forum here, cause you're within easy range of the Buena Vista gathering, and the left coasters are a good bunch. Good party, good riding, do it if you can.

I got a friend who goes there all the time, non rider, but I'll ping him for some updated info on the area. He's out there about 6 times a year, and I haven't been in a long time. Bet the sin bin is still there, though. That's the Assinaboia Hotel. Cheap beer and cheaper strippers, but that place will never close. :freaky
  12. ~dirtgirl~

~dirtgirl~ Dirty girl!

Oddometer:
    There is any area we ride at near Tilley (so 25mins out of Brooks) it is an oil and gas field but there are a ton of MX type tracks there. It is VERY sandy to ride in if you just stick to the "MX tracks". Good practice to ride in the sand though, makes the mud seem easy! We were there last month, I don't know what the conditions would be like now? A & E (KTM dealers in Brooks) have "supposedly" aquired an area of this to do test rides at so I have heard stories about if you ride there they will bust you but its to try and put people off riding there, but I have it on good source that you can! PM me if you want directions as its not easy to find! :freaky
  13. newcomer21

newcomer21 n00b

Oddometer:
    Public access to the area is restricted. Some cattle grazing occurs and I assume that local ranchers are able to inspect their herds as needed. The area is a protected reserve.
  14. 660SMC

660SMC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've just come off the phone to the RAF and they said that they will fly it over to Calgary for nothing!
    That's nice of them isn't it!!!!! :evil
    I think my 660 will be a real handful on a sandy mx track - more suited to hard track / tarmac road. It'll handle light off-road ok though............
    Where is Brooks? Is it far from Med Hat? As the bike will need a service by the time it gets there.............
    Right, it's off to Sommer KTM to get a bigger tank........
  15. Stand Up

Stand Up Ride non-painted roads

Oddometer:
    no GS? They are a hot item in Calgary. Dealer sold 32 and has an alotment of 15. An Adv would even be more rare.
    Stand Up
  16. ~dirtgirl~

~dirtgirl~ Dirty girl!

Oddometer:
    Brooks is just under an hour west of The Hat. There is a KTM dealer in Brooks, Dave French of A & E. Here is a link to the website. http://www.aeracing.com/ Great company to deal with but don't mention the Tilley track! :eek1