Preferred GPS (or Tablet) for On-Road use only - Help!

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by MaineDrummer, Mar 31, 2019.

1. MaineDrummer

MaineDrummer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    I need a new GPS to add to the dismal built-in unit on a 2018 Goldwing.
    The go-to standard for this bike is the Garmin 595LM, but I want to know if the new Gen-5 iPad mini offers more features and is a better overall choice (increased screen size, brightness, etc), regardless of cost.
    This bike will not see off-road use, but will be ridden through areas that may, on occasion, not have cell service.
    The only caveat is I don't want to deal with several different Apps, I want to keep things as simple as possible.

Is the better GPS for this application a tablet and not the 595?

Thanks for your recommendations!
  2. ThomasD

ThomasD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You may have to try several apps until you have found the one (ore two) which fits your style of planning and your likes of doing the navigation job. I do road riding only too and Locus Map Pro is my choice for all. It took 2 seasons of riding until I reached this point.
    Feel free to try some apps with your existing phone until you decide to go for a specific one and a tablet. I use a Kyocera Duraforce Pro and a Sony Xperia Z3 Tablet compact: http://decker4u.de/ausruestung/gps/
  3. HarveyM

HarveyM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just an FYI: Only iPads with cellular include the GPS feature; wifi only iPads= no GPS. iPads aren't water resistant. you'll need some form of waterproof case/sleeve to use in the rain. The operating temp limits for the current mini is 95F and 'non-operating' temp is 113F.
    Tablets and cell phones that have GPS don't need cell service to use GPS..
    Personally I tried using a full sized third generation iPad (with addon garmin glo gps) a while back and found the screen unusable on the bike.
  4. MaineDrummer

MaineDrummer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
    'Sound like using an iPad/tablet still may not be the absolute best option for a street-based GPS.
    Would anyone disagree?
  5. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use a phone all of the time. Mine is waterproof, and the apps I use work offline. Plus I prefer those apps over the fixed GPS equipment. And you can get a good Android cheaply. Apps are free or cheap, and the many choices means you will find something that works.

But, an iPad would be more worrisome as far as being waterproof. Would be harder to mount and reposition on the go to eliminate glare. And for the price it might be a theft magnet.

Why not a large cheap android phone instead?
  6. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    as long as it's waterproof without a case, it should be fine. there are lots of rugged tablets now from two year old cheapies to almost Garmin-priced geewiz machines
  7. jdw4748

jdw4748 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
  9. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    If you're concerned about the durability of using an ipad mini on a motorcycle, check out the racing forum and search for the rally blitz app. Lots of rally racers using ipad mini's in a way more demanding environment than road riding.

However, I haven't found a phone app yet for paved road riding yet that I like as much as my old Garmin 478. However, since Garmin quit supporting those older units that did a good job of handling both tracks and routes, I lost interest. It seems like the road going folks like the Garmin 59* series units and for road only use, you don't need track handling. You just need to decide if you want to pay many times more money and deal with Garmin's sometimes infuriating 'updates' of software and maps. After starting with Locus Pro on an android phone and seeing how responsive the developers are, I dumped Garmin.
  10. GCecchetto

GCecchetto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use the mil-spec Samsung Tab Active2 on my 1190 R. It's waterproof, shockproof, can take much higher temperature without shutting down, and has a glove friendly screen mode. One thing I really like about it is the pogo pins on the side for charging. Just snap it in the cradle and it's charging.
  11. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Indeed

External power is clutch.
  12. Nashcat

Nashcat Waitin' on the Boatman

Oddometer:
    I’m late to the discussion, but I have a 2018 Wing and use Apple CarPlay on the dash, using an iPhone 6, plugged into the USB port in the cubby. Choice of Apple maps, Google maps, Waze, or a couple of other programs. Cell service isn’t necessary since the phone has a GPS chip, built in. Voice controls for the maps, using Bluetooth headset.
    ohgood likes this.
  13. RWJorg

RWJorg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    photos ?
  14. GCecchetto

GCecchetto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've posted photos in a variety of different threads.
    IMG_20190302_161627.jpg