Prescott AZ Riders?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Dirt wolf, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Uncle Conan

Uncle Conan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tom, back in town. got an appointment tomorrow and on the 8th. lrt me know if you have something planned.
  2. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Jim check out NW of Phoenix ADV Riders River Run.
  3. AZ TOM

Oddometer:
    Bike apart at the moment but will be doing that River Run 3 days on the 27th.
  4. Uncle Conan

Uncle Conan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like it would be fun, but will be out of town that weekend. I'll have to work on my timing I guess!
  5. DR650SEDDY

DR650SEDDY ride2discover Supporter

Oddometer:
    What's with it?
  6. AZ TOM

Oddometer:
    Secret!! Putting a Subaru motor in it:imaposer
  7. Motorius

Motorius Road trippin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    better than a Wankle
  8. Salsa

Salsa Long timer

Oddometer:
    And ALL WHEEL drive !!!!!!!!!!

Don
  9. kickstandsup

kickstandsup Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  10. AZ TOM

Oddometer:
    Put it in the flea mkt. This is not a for sale thread?
  11. CapeMan

CapeMan Dirt Duffer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's been a bit over a week now since I got back from a multi-day ride in northern Arizona and southern Utah and, maybe, it's well past time to provide an update.

This is the 4th time in 5 years that I've done a ride thru parts of the Az Strip, the Grand Canyon North Rim and the Kanab/Escalante/Mexican Hat areas. It was a bit different this year in that we didn't have any rain but we did have to contend with fire! And given how nasty the mud can be up there, I think I just might prefer fire.

We (@Snake Oiler from western PA, @spafxer from Scottsdale, and myself) spent 4 nights at the Big Springs Forest Service cabins about 15 miles SW of Jacob lake, then rode on to Escalante via House Rock Rd and Smokey Mountain Rd, then on to Mexican Hat via Burr Trail, Halls' Crossing, and Moki Dugway. Since we had trucked the bikes to Big Springs, SnakeOiler and I rode back to get the pickups while spafxer rode home to Scottsdale, crossing the reservation via Many Farms, Chinle, and Indian 15 to Winslow and on to Payson, etc. This (and an alternate route to 2nd Mesa instead of Indian 15) is, by the way, a great alternative to the regular Kayenta/Tuba City/Flagstaff route often followed.

The Ikes fire caused the Forest Service to close the access road to all viewpoints south of Crazy Jug, including the FS access road to Point Sublime, but that really wasn't much of a hardship as we still had access to Toroweap, the excellent slab ride out to Cape Royal (essentially unobstructed by traffic both going out and returning – how fine was that!), and some seldom-visited viewpoints like Gunsight Point.

DSCN0005.jpg

House Rock Rd. was fine but Smokey Mtn Rd., ahhh, lemme tell ya, was superb – one of the finest rides I've had in my very limited experience. The road seems to run right up the face of the mesa north of Big Water, UT (actually, it climbs about 1400 ft. over a horizontal run of 1.8 miles, maybe 4.5 winding road miles) to the overlook, where you can see Lake Powell, the Navajo Generating station, and myriads of mesas, kinda like this:

Smokey Mtn.jpg
    (apologies, photography is not one of my strong suits!)

From the overlook, Smokey Mtn Rd runs roughly NNW some 70 plus miles to Escalante, the first 1/3 or so after the viewpoint being a long horizontal run across the mesa, then lots of varieties of ups and downs, some rocky bits, some bull dust. It was a loong day and we were pretty much wore out by the time we got to Escalante.

Burr Trail on the following day was sublime, as always, but we were seeing some big winds – NOAA was forecasting 30-50 mph gusts – so decided to punt trying to cross the Henry Mtns just to the east, reckoning that the winds at 10,500 ft over Bull Creek Pass would be very unpleasant at best and untenable at worst. Fortunately, the Halls crossing ferry had just recently been fixed, so we got a boat ride instead.

No bodies were injured, no bikes were damaged and interesting riding was had by all – good enough for me!

Before I sign off, a couple of words re: Big Springs cabins might be in order. This is a Forest Service site with 7 cabins for rent ($65/night) that provide easy access to many of the North Rim GC overlooks. Most cabins have 3 beds and share access to a common facility with full kitchen, dining, and lounging area. Common bathrooms have sinks, toilets, and showers with hot & cold water. Essentially everything you might need EXCEPT bedding, towels, and food, which you'll need to supply. Hauling the bikes meant we could also haul along prepared meals, copious amounts of wine, and various and sundry luxuries that we wouldn't have been able to carry had we ridden there. Wussy I know but I'm waaaay old enough to value and treasure those little luxuries that add to life. You can find out more about Big Springs at https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/121740

If you're interested, Snake Oiler posted up more and better pictures of the ride here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/deming-new-mexico.1352711/page-7#post-38551986 And a tip of the hat to @AZ Mark for jacking me up to posting this.
  12. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    Thanks Capeman for the invite for one of my best rides on the west. I enjoyed the company. A real planner you are, crossing all the"T"s and dotting the"i"s. And I can't thank you enough for opening your home up to me for a few days. You and your wife made me feel very welcome and fed me like a king.

Oh, that jam is awesome on English Muffins.

Peace
    2 SPOT, Sledred, CapeMan and 2 others like this.
  13. AZ Mark

AZ Mark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great Report... Thanks for posting!
    I totally agree that a central camp is a great way to see an area. Those Big Springs Cabins are nice, a great value and like you said, haul all your extra-goodies with ya... Wine/Beer, Steaks, Ice Cream or whatever makes you happy at the end of an Adventurous Day. To my way of thinking its much better than a Motel and certainly more appealing than a Tent and meal-in-a-bag!
    spafxer, Snake Oiler and CapeMan like this.
  14. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:

Intimo is fine, but i liked desertdude
  15. couchtater

couchtater hunting wabbits

Oddometer:
    Hey! I know this area. There is a metric ton of old 2 track through the canyons around there. I'm about 35 trail minutes to the substation out there at the intersection of 318A and Perkinsville.
    Sledred likes this.
  16. Intimo

Intimo Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @2 SPOT Agreed... :nod Desertdude would be out on his bike much more often! (Intimo is the alter ego of Music & Design) :strum
    2 SPOT likes this.
  17. AZ TOM

Oddometer:
    Well finally bike back in action & thinking Tuesday off to Laughlin & beyond. Fingers crossed. Weather looks perfect.
  18. Sledred

Sledred Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tom - what happened to the Honda?
  19. AZ TOM

Oddometer:
    Long story tell you when I see you.
    Sledred likes this.
  20. guns&coffee

guns&coffee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just got the 950 back together after rejetting, replacing fuel lines and doing some exhaust wrap. Did a little shakedown ride out to Cherry and everything seems to be good.
    Anyone interested in a ADV ride on Sunday? I'm thinking about doing the Ferguson to Jerome loop or Dewey to Senator Hwy and back to town.