Prescott AZ Riders?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Dirt wolf, Jan 15, 2015.

1. DR650SEDDY

DR650SEDDY ride2discover Supporter

Oddometer:
    Last month.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    TaZ9, Burro driver, Gillus and 3 others like this.
  2. guns&coffee

guns&coffee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is that the south rim? Did you go up through Williamson Valley?
  3. DR650SEDDY

DR650SEDDY ride2discover Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes south rim, no not through Williamson. We rode trails that are west of Hwy 64.
  4. factoryphil

factoryphil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    anyone want to do a ADV ride this weekend or monday ? i need to do a shake down ride on my 790r
    Sledred likes this.
  5. Torque Request

Torque Request Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll go this weekend with you.
  6. keithg

keithg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Out of town until Monday..................
  7. guns&coffee

guns&coffee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Let me know if you fellas are putting together a ride sometime that doesn't involve singletrack. Would love to go explore the area on my 950.
  8. Torque Request

Torque Request Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Give me a shout, I'll show you around. My ST days are done!
    AZ Mark likes this.
  9. guns&coffee

guns&coffee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool. Thanks
  10. CapeMan

CapeMan Dirt Duffer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been doing a ride in the Arizona strip, north rim of the Grand Canyon, and Escalante area each September/October for the last 4 years or so. I've been planning on doing it again this year but a complication has recently developed – my regular riding buddy has had to drop out.

I'm no kinda super-skilled off-road rider and some of this stuff is remote enough that I'm reluctant to tackle it alone. So I'm looking for another rider or two to put together a small group and have at it one more time.

The ride will be about 1 week overall, Sept 21-27 or Sept 22-28, depending on specific routing, and could be expanded to cover more territory if everybody involved has the interest and time.

Rough itinerary is --
    • Day 1: Prescott, AZ to St. George, UT (mostly slab, some dirt possible if time permits)

• Day 2: St. George to Toroweap to Big Springs FS cabins* just a bit north of the GC Nat'l Park (mostly well-maintained gravel)

• Days 3 & 4: day rides out of Big Springs to Grand Canyon N Rim overlooks, like Crazy Jug, Parissawampits, Timp and Fire Points etc. (well-maintained gravel) Weather permitting, ride 2-track out to Point Sublime.

• Day 5: Big Springs cabins to Escalante, UT via House Rock Rd. and Smokey Mtn. Rd (mostly dirt/gravel)

• Day 6: Escalante to Mexican Hat, UT via Burr Trail, across the Henry Mtns via 10,500 ft. Bull Creek Pass, and Moki Dugway. (maybe ½ dirt/gravel, ½ slab)

• Day 7: Mexican Hat to Prescott via Many Farms, Chinle, Second Mesa, Winslow, and Clints Well (slab) – we can route thru Monument Valley or not, depending on what winds your watch.
    Variations could include adding Zion & Bryce NP and a day or two riding out of Escalante, like Hole-in-the-Rock Rd and Hells' Backbone, which would add a few days of course. Alternatively, a day could be cut by riding CCW, starting in Page and punting the Mex Hat/Escalante leg ('tho that'd be a shame). What is fixed is my reservation at Big Springs Cabins, check in Sept 23 and out Sept 26.

I've ridden all this stuff before except Smokey Mtn Rd and it's all Big Bike Friendly. Full disclosure; I might wanna point out here that I'm an old fart and BBF is what I ride so if you wanna go hard-charging rock-hopping, well, that's above my riding abilities so we probably won't have a good match. Also, I'm old enough to no longer relish sleeping on the ground so this is a motel-lodging ride ('tho you will need to bring a sleeping bag along to use at Big Springs).

*Big Springs cabins are about a half-dozen old-timey Forest Service cabins about 15 gravel road miles SW of Jacob Lake that the NFS rents out. Each cabin has 3 beds – which is why I'm looking for one or two riders – and common area cooking/eating/lounging/restrooms. You can check out the details at their website: https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/121740

Drop me a PM if you're interested (or just have questions) and we'll see what we can set up.

UPDATE 8/20/19: Have one rider signed up and shifted the ride back one week, now Sept 29 - Oct 6. Still room for one more!

UPDATE 8/23/19: We've reached our quorum of 3 riders for this ride so there's no more room at the inns. Thanks for your interest and support!
    spafxer, Sledred and DR650SEDDY like this.
  11. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    hey capeman! sounds like a nice ride. ive been out alot this past couple months and headed to Montana soon to visit the folks. so i dont think i'll have the time to join ya.

Smokey Mtn rd is good,,, BBF and scenic but like everything in the general area, if wet be very careful or just stick to tar.

if you get a group that wants to add a day or two check out "byway route 12" its one of the Backcountry Byways many states have and all the ones i've done have been nothing short of amazing. route 12 its all paved but many of the popular rds like smoky mtn, Burr, Cottonwood ect pop off of it. the red rock tunnel is on route 12 if you've ever seen pics of that.

i like renting FS cabins, ive also rented lookout towers in other states but AZ doesnt rent any.

have fun and ride safe buddy.
    CapeMan likes this.
  12. AZ Mark

AZ Mark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ohhh Man... That sounds like a great trip. Although I often travel alone! that area is "Big Country" so you are being a very wise man. Just a Heads-up... there is a fire just South of Big Springs Cabins at the present time but hopefully it will be contained soon.
    CapeMan likes this.
  13. AZ Desert Dog

AZ Desert Dog To Ornery To Quit

Oddometer:
    Oh man I would love to join. I tried a similar trip a few weeks ago. Got chased out by storms up there. Anniversary trip with the wife those two weeks. Some beautiful country on your route. Good luck and have a safe trip.
    CapeMan likes this.
  14. spafxer

spafxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Would like to join you on this trip. Riding 950 ADVenture and have been around the area of which you speak mostly on road, with Toroweep and the Zion Ponderosa area mostly dirt roads..

I'm out of Scottsdale now.

Pm Sent.
  15. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wacky summer. Whats not burnt up is to hot to ride in!!
    AZ Mark, Sledred and DR650SEDDY like this.
  16. guns&coffee

guns&coffee Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was thinking heading down the Senator highway and looping east to 69 would make a nice ride.
  17. guns&coffee

guns&coffee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are any of you Prescott area riders on KTM twins? 950/990/1090/1190? ADV/SE?
    viper05 likes this.
  18. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    25 year old Honda 650 here.:D
    Motorius likes this.
  19. Motorius

Motorius Road trippin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got my 11 yr old one beat there!
  20. Uncle Conan

Uncle Conan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good evening all, kind of new to the area. Been here two years, finally found this thread, lets you know how slow I am. Looking for day rides to get to know the area. Up in Paulden and explored some of the roads up here. Don't have a twin, have an old 620 adventure though. Will have some time on Friday.