Previous KLR650, Current F 800GS, Next KTM 690 Enduro R?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by derko, Jun 18, 2018.

1. derko

derko n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey inmates,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I have had a KLR650 in the past, LOVED it minus the power and the fact that it burnt oil like a mother. I decided I would go and try a more reliable and modern machine and went to the F800GS. Done some pretty good adventure rides through California, Utah, Neveda, and Colorado. The F800GS is GREAT and reliable, however I'm realizing it's too heavy and it's weight to power ratio is lacking for the type of riding I'd LIKE to do.

I'm pretty convinced i'm going to sell my F800GS and get a 2018 KTM 690 Enduro R. Would like to hear some of the pros/cons, especially involving reliability and problems on the KTM.

Thanks again,
    Derek
  2. open1mind

open1mind Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FWIW- I am a current KLR guy, but holding for the new Yamaha T7. The KTM 690 looks fun, but the soon to be released 790 adventure looks awesome. Either way, I am waiting until the Yamaha and the 790 are into the market with some reviews and test rides to compare. Both of them hold the promise of the same weight as a KLR, with 2X's the horsepower.
    We'll see....
  3. DTDowning

DTDowning Simpli Fy

Oddometer:
    So, this part of the website is all about the 950/990--damn near pure bred race bikes built for past iterations of Dakar. However, various opinions abound on the topic... Many people have been very successful with the 690 as a touring rig, but as previously stated, it does have its quirks. For long distance touring in NA, you may want big tanks and slightly more wind protection, all adding to the base price.

If you're willing to be patient, the Tenere 700 is shaping up to be an interesting machine with Yamaha reliability on a largely proven engine. But you would be getting a first gen of that model if that were the case. I had a 950 that spent more road trips in a uhaul than on the road...so I switched to a 700GS after a few other bikes. I'm holding out for the T7 personally. Best of luck in the search.
    Pablo Mac likes this.
  4. derko

derko n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks, for the info on the subthread. Any place you recommend that'd be a better place to post this?

@open1mind @DTDowning The Tenere 700 is something that i'm REALLY interested in however i'm not an experimenter and would wait for a couple of years after first gen. but definitely will be keeping my eyes on that as it evolves.
  5. Antti

Antti Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had on my ex `08 690 40tkm on the clock when sold.. starter free wheel, clutch and fuel pump done on those kms. At least it was pretty much reliable bike.
  6. DTDowning

DTDowning Simpli Fy

Oddometer:
    Thumpers may get you some more mileage, but you're going to find more than a few KLRistas crying about your departure (not that its a bad thing, I treat my Bimmer like a KLR...)
  7. derko

derko n00b

Oddometer:
    Ahhh good call thanks for the info
  8. el Pete

el Pete toda su base

Oddometer:
    There's a ton of info in the links below - too much really.

When I considered downsizing from a 990 I did a bunch of research and it seems like reliability on the newer bikes is quite good. I decided to keep the bigger bike because we like to do 400+ miles a day and that seemed like an awful lot on the smaller bikes.

The KTM 690 Enduro Thread

Husqvarna 701 Super Moto and Enduro!

9. opanos

opanos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You could also consider the ajp pr7...

[​IMG]
    desert sky likes this.
  10. el Pete

el Pete toda su base

Oddometer:
    Not street legal in the US
  11. derko

derko n00b

Oddometer:
    Yeah for sure need street legal as this will be a commuter (~12 miles each way) and fun machine. Plus no truck means I need to ride it to the trails
  12. opanos

opanos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok i didn't know it was not street legal in the us.
    You could then look for the 701 husky(hope that's str.legal over there)

There are some rally kits available which expand its traveling abilities
  13. IronRider

IronRider Let's Go!

Oddometer:
    I went from a ‘14 800GS to a ‘16 690R for similar reasons as you state above. I found the GS to be too big and heavy for what I wanted to do with it. I wanted a bike with enough power for highway riding but light enough to hit the trails. When the GS is loaded down with gear and it goes down on a trail good luck lifting it after a long day of riding. I can lift my 690 with one hand. With my limited skill I find the lighter 690 allows me greater access to smaller and more difficult trails. I always found the GS seemed very top heavy.

I have added quite a bit to my 690 to make it a better “adventure” bike. I changed the front sprocket to lower the revs for highway riding. I put on a Safari tank for more gas. I have never run dry but expect I should get between 4-500km on a fill. I only got 200km max on the factory tank. Sometimes only 125km if really bad wind and cruising at 130+km/hr. I also put on a Lynx R fairing with LED lights from Britannia Composites. I love the power from the lights. A seat from Seat Concepts as even the KTM “comfort” seat is like a 2x4 on a long ride. I put some KTM wider adventure foot pegs on. I think they are for the 990 or 1290, can’t remember. I also put on the KTM racks which I made some cases for. I put on the kickstand and abs modules. I have also put on a Kaiko throttle lock for those long highway bits, skid plate, and a Scott’s steering stabilizer. I think the only mods left for this bike is a Wings exhaust and some heated grips.

It has been a great bike. I hope I’m not jinxing myself here, but I have had no issues with this bike. My longest ride has been a 12000km ride to Cabo and back and it was flawless. Unfortunately I did it before I changed my seat so I paid the price. Yeah the GS motor was smoother on the highway (it’s basically a street bike with knobbies), but that 690 gets me places I couldn’t go with the GS. Here is a pic of the 690. Good luck with decision.

Attached Files:

nomeranger7 likes this.
  14. Loomdog

Loomdog Where's that trail again?

Oddometer:
    I made the switch to a 690r from a 990 in November of 17 and have 7,000 clicks on the odometer already. I have 0 regrets, I just did the lower COBDR (1,200 miles total) and loved every minute of it, I also live on the Front Range in Colorado so I have tons of trails all within 15-50 miles of a slab ride from my garage. It is basically stock with the exception of every dongle available, canisterectomy / 02 delete and bolt on parts for added crash and bash support. I've had 0 problems with it, but I'm also a maintenance nazi. This winter its due for valve check and suspension upgrades. GOOD LUCK, they are a do everything bike no doubt!!
  15. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just get a 9x0 and this will be in the right spot.
    tomdubz likes this.