For sale PRICE DROP $7000 - 2015 Smart Car 100% Electric LESS THAN 50 MILES!

Discussion in 'Other' started by Ben Carufel, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Ben Carufel

Ben Carufel Boxer Addict

Oddometer:
    Up for sale I've got a 2015 Smart Car, 100% electric, with less than 50 miles on the odometer as of today.

I took these photos this afternoon with 30 miles on the clock, then drove it 16 miles home from my warehouse.

This car was bought for fleet use, wrapped in vinyl, then never put into service before the company went out of business. It sat for several years until I got it, unwrapped it, and it's been in my warehouse ever since. Just went over by Mercedes Benz a few months ago and given a clean bill of health and new battery dessicant filter ($53 part), which is to keep the air inside the battery dry. It's just about the only thing on this car that ever needs maintenance, and even then it's not a major item.

Super clean with no real dents or dings or anything. Some minor peeling of the vinyl on the roof which is a known issue on these cars. I have heard rumors on the forums that MBZ will replace the vinyl roof but I haven't bothered to ask. It's hardly noticeable. You could always just have it peeled and wrapped in good 3M vinyl at a vinyl shop if it bothered you.

These cars are a serious hoot to drive. I've owned several. They are SERIOUSLY fast from 0-45mph. Even being used to fast cars and motorcycles, these things put a smile on my face. Handling is pretty crisp too, since it's so small and the weight is all super low.

The headunit has been swapped for a JVC CD/MP3 unit with bluetooth for hands-free phone use. It's SiriusXM ready as well.

Range is 65-70 miles on the highway, 75-80 miles around town. Charging time is overnight on 110v, about 5 hours on 220/240v. The battery is just under 18kWh if you're curious.

Located in San Diego. Clean title, no issues, no problems. Ready to drive.

These retailed new in 2015 for $25,000+. I'm asking $8500 for this one in basically new condition. EDIT -- PRICE DROP TO $7000.

Happy to help arrange shipping (I can personally deliver it on a trailer if you're in SoCal). A fly-and-drive isn't exactly practical with such short range, but if you want to attempt it I'm not going to tell you you're crazy...at least not to your face.

Happy to supply any other info or snap any other photos for you!

Pics attached.

Attached Files:

2. Glenn247

Glenn247 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    How would shipping work to Florida?
  3. Ben Carufel

Ben Carufel Boxer Addict

Oddometer:
    Very simple. $800-900. Just shipped another car recently to Texas and it was $700 from San Diego to Austin. UShip usually ends up being the best way to get quotes and find a carrier. The Texas car was picked up here on a Tuesday and delivered to Texas 3 days later on Friday.

I am happy to work with your shipper of choice to coordinate pickup! Car will have a full charge when it goes on the truck.
    OU812 and slime like this.
  4. Ben Carufel

Ben Carufel Boxer Addict

Oddometer:
    I’m motivated to sell — willing to throw in $500 towards shipping! Or will knock the price down to $8000 for a local sale.
    OU812 and slime like this.
  5. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    This looks like it could serve well towed behind an RV.
    OU812 likes this.
  6. Ben Carufel

Ben Carufel Boxer Addict

Oddometer:
    They're excellent as TOAD vehicles because they weigh so little (2096lbs) and are so compact and easy to get around town in...but they cannot be flat towed, per Mercedes Benz/Smart official directive. They must be towed on a trailer.

Luckily because they're so light and small, you can tow them on a trailer almost the same size as a Kendon Stand-Up motorcycle trailer. There are a couple of companies who make special trailers just for Smarts.
    gary n likes this.
  7. Jonas p

Jonas p Mr. Fix It

Oddometer:
    Do these require a charging station be installed to your home?
  8. Ben Carufel

Ben Carufel Boxer Addict

Oddometer:
    Not necessarily. There are two ways to charge. "Level 1" is 110v and "Level 2" is 220/240v. If you have either plug in your garage already you can just get a Level 1 or Level 2 (or some are dual voltage) EVSE (electric vehicle supply equipment) charger and plug that in to the outlet and then plug it into the car and you're charging.

I have another Smart Electric that is my daily driver and I use a simple 110v Level 1 charger from a Nissan Leaf to charge it at home since my 100-year-old house doesn't have 220v power on the detached garage.

Amazon has some really nice dual voltage chargers for about $200. I bought one and keep it in the back of the car in case I go to a buddy's place and want to charge there, for instance.
  9. karmatourer

karmatourer STD free

Oddometer:
    These didn't come with a L1 charger? How is that possible?
  10. Ben Carufel

Ben Carufel Boxer Addict

Oddometer:
    Ones sold to the public did -- they have a little formed styrofoam holder for the Mercedes L1 charger in the rear hatch. Since this car was sold to a fleet (Car2Go) it was built to a special options package which eliminated the L1 charger to save a few bucks, I guess. Car2Go had a huge parking lot of L2 chargers at their HQ here in San Diego and didn't need any L1 chargers.
  11. Ben Carufel

Ben Carufel Boxer Addict

Oddometer:
    Bump, and a big price drop! Now down to $7,000 even for this basically new electric car!
  12. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter --Crazy MoFo-- Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is the battery owned or part of that nightmare lease program I have been reading about?
  13. Ben Carufel

Ben Carufel Boxer Addict

Oddometer:
    The battery is owned outright and goes with the car -- no lease program whatsoever.
    CrazyCooter likes this.
  14. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter --Crazy MoFo-- Supporter

Oddometer:
    So tempting!
    vtwin, cmbthumper and Ben Carufel like this.
  15. Ben Carufel

Ben Carufel Boxer Addict

Oddometer:
    Bump.