Primus Winter Rally, Norway

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by whereisgibson, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm sitting here in 60 degree F weather and that report got me shivering. :freaky
    I had to make a cup of tea and light the fire.:cry
  2. pip_muenster

pip_muenster curious

Oddometer:
    I always wanted to do that - I remember making plans to ride a bicycle to Norway during school holidays over New Year. Now I wondering, when I'll get to the age where such a trip becomes tempting again.

:lurk
  3. whereisgibson

whereisgibson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A quick review of the Snugpak Antartica RE. I didn't feel it got tested at -17, suffice to say that I didn't believe it got that cold until I was shown proof. I could not have been more comfortable in it. Very impressed, though it does take up 70% of a pannier - though at least it fits!

The Helinox Chair One and Table One. Witheringly expensive kit at around £90 each, though exceptionally comfortable, lightweight, and a great solution for motorbike travel. You really do need some form of chair for these events, though the table is arguably less useful as it can't be used to cook on. If the cost isn't a problem I'd definitely recommend them. No doubt they will start to be copied for less, but I'm happy to pay for good design, and I feel like they will last a long time too. Well done to Helinox for making such a lightweight and quality product and innovating in an already crowded marketplace.
  4. whereisgibson

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

We left the campsite at noon on Sunday after three days camping. Heading back down the hill was still icy, but nowhere near as difficult as when we arrived on Thursday. It was a beautiful clear day and the trip through the forests and fjords made me wonder why I choose to live in London.

There were plenty of Danes returning home on Sunday. The alternative return trip is Gothenburg to Kiel, which would really make more sense for me if I didn't have friends in Denmark.
    [​IMG]

I took it easy to port in Oslo in the hope that it would make taking out the studs easier. This is where the concept of the Bestgrip studs is questionable to me. I'd say only about 30% of the studs from the rear came out easily, the rest were too worn for the tool to purchase on. It was a slow and tedious process removing these with a pair of pliers. Given they only travelled, at best, 200km, I can't really recommend them for anything other than day trip / emergency use as they looked pretty finished (bestgrip 1200). I have no experience of proper studs either, they may be just as fast wearing so don't take this as a positive to another solution if you are doing some internet research before a big trip. Picture is the last one coming out!
    [​IMG]
  5. whereisgibson

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

The ferry back to Denmark got stuck for a few hours due to rough seas, and arrived at 12:00 instead of 07:00. With my next ferry scheduld to leave Rotterdam 1000km away at 21:00 it was clear I would be delayed a day. Instead of asking Mike to wait with, he took his bike back to Germany that afternoon in his van. I stayed overnight with Hot Wheels MCC in southern Denmark before an early escape next day, within striking distance of Rottterdam 800km away through the rain, wind, and snow.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With that, my adventure to the Primus Rally was over and that very morning I arrived home at 8am, had a shave, chucked on a suit, and headed off to the City a day late.

The End!

[​IMG]
  6. whereisgibson

Oddometer:
    Many thanks to Qvan and the gang at Hot Wheels MCC for whom I would not have heard of this rally, nor would have benefited from their hospitality and expert knowledge of this event.

It was great running to into the Arctic Butt gang and I do hope we meet again.
  7. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh man, just what I needed right now! Another whereisgibson report! Yay! Where I am just now it is less than three weeks to the equinox and more snow is on the way. Gibson...get me outta here!
  8. Brick Top

Brick Top Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    whereisgibson

http://www.paijanne-enduro.fi/

Seeing that you have some snow experience, this could be interesting. I am not sure if it would be possible for me to do, my bike is not ready yet. It is a snow rally in Finland.
  9. potski

potski Wiley Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Hi Martin,

Great report as usual; visited Norway a few times, but not in the winter; it's a stunning country. Not many of us probably have any knowledge of studs, so interesting to hear how they performed and faired. Yes a chair, it really is a necessity more than a luxury; the problem is carrying one on the bike. Been using these for a while, they have no legs as such so they tend to sit on the surface more than dig in; so light, comfy and easily stored.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RZzqRGLOJo

Travel safe

Cheers
    Potski
  10. rryd

rryd Adventurer

Oddometer:
  11. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 PITA but useful

Oddometer:
    :huh

:vardy