Princeton Head Light

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by fish, Jul 24, 2002.

1. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Head lights are good things. They look stoopid, and people never want to talk to people who wear headlights, because they turn their heads to see who's talking to them and they blind you.

They're good things for seeing what's what at night and still be able to use both hands. Chopping wood with a back paxe (yeah, mine rocked. might want a little bit longer handle, but it works great) in pitch darkness is a good time to have a headlight.

Anyway, I had been using a halogen unit that weighed about four pounds, or felt like it anyway, but it was very very bright and waterproof. Overkill for me. Probably good for hiking around at night, but quite frankly, I never could get the three straps adjusted correctly so it wouldn't fall down over my eyes or give me a headache.

Enter stage left, the new Princeton Tec Aurora LED head light. $30USD at REI

Waterproof, five settings...three brightness and two strobes.
    Single strap, very light, and tilts down, so you can have a conversation without pissing off of blinding the other person.

[​IMG]
  2. City Slicker

City Slicker www.GSer.com

Oddometer:
    Petzl also do a couple of these and I have one. Very good and will strap to the helmet if you happen to be map reading at night..

[​IMG]
    TIKKA
    An ultralight LED headlamp

The most compact and lightest headlamp of our range. With a 150 hour burn time, it is ideal for long term close-up work, as it gives a very white light. The reliability and long life of the LED makes it very safe. It has an on/off switch.

Specs :

Weight: 70 g including batteries
    Uses 3 round AAA-LR3 batteries supplied with the product.

[​IMG]
    ZIPKA
    An ultralight LED lamp w/ roll-up strap version.

The Zipka is the little sister of the Tikka. A roll-up strap system replaces the elasticated headband, making it even more compact and lightweight than the Tikka. The Zipka can be carried on the head, the wrist, the ankle: ideal for keeping permanently in the bottom of the rucksack, in the glove compartment, or in your pockets to avoid ever being caught out by darkness.

Specs :

Operates with 3 AAA / LR03 1.5V batteries, supplied with the product.
    Contacts in stainless steel.
    Weight: 64 g (including batteries)
  3. kevbo

kevbo Rubbery-Lip Flappin' PHI

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip.

I've been using a nylon headband that holds a mini-mag lite over one ear...I think the brand is "Nyte-Eyze" or some such with a 'coon logo.

Works OK with the AAA size light, but with the AA size it is a little heavy on one side, and you have to adjust the band uncomfortably tight to keep it in the correct location.