Probably the worst damn ride report of all time.....

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by TurnerR, Jun 17, 2016.

1. digcolnagos

digcolnagos Bewildered

Oddometer:
    About getting the debit/credit card shut down, I've never understood that. It's happened to me twice while on cross-county tours, and pretty much the same as here--nothing but gas purchases. Both times, the bank told me they did it because charges showed up that were far from my home, as if I'm supposed to stuff my pockets with greenbacks and use them instead of plastic when venturing onto unfamiliar turf. Fortunately, I carry two cards from different banks that do business in different ways.

There must be some sort of art to credit card fraud that escapes me. If I were to use someone else's card, I think that I would get large cash advances or buy hugely expensive, and easily flipped, computer equipment or somesuch, and most likely online so that no one would see my face. But no. The savvy fraudster, apparently, rips off the bank $10 and $20 at a time at convenience stores and gas stations bristling with surveillance cameras.
    TurnerR likes this.
  2. WeazyBuddha

WeazyBuddha Carbon-Based Humanoid Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just call the card company ahead of your trip and let them know of your trip and your smallish purchases and all should be fine, emphasis on should.
    mike, TurnerR, pfalcioni and 2 others like this.
  3. backoutonthehighway

backoutonthehighway ATGMOTT/MOTGATT

Oddometer:
    My card was canceled last week. Fraud rep said when the thieves duplicate the card the first thing they do is test it on a small purchase at a gas station that lets you pay at the pump. Once they've proved it works they go spending the big bucks.

Outstanding RR and a great adventure. If you get up SF way hit me up for a place to stay.
    TurnerR and Dan Diego like this.
  4. digcolnagos

digcolnagos Bewildered

Oddometer:
    Makes sense, but only to a point. Both times it happened to me, I was two days or so into the trip, with numerous purchases, before it was shut down. Wouldn't make sense for a fraudster to fill his tank four times before going for The Big Score. I call ahead of time when I'm going out of the country, but not for domestic travel.
    c1skout and TurnerR like this.
  5. digcolnagos

digcolnagos Bewildered

Oddometer:
    Maybe I'm alone here, but I'd like to know a bit about his bike. That an old Sportster could go as far as he's gone without a mechanical mishap is impressive (here's hoping not to jinx). What year(s) is it? Saw a program on Netflix awhile back where three guys on ancient Sportsters rode across the country. It was called Twenty-one Days Under The Sun, and they nearly didn't make it from California to New York in three weeks for all the breakdowns, which they seemed to consider normal.
    TurnerR likes this.
  6. tonyjuliano

tonyjuliano Grumpy Santa

Oddometer:
    Not to step on the OP's "thunder" (and I hope he gives his opinion), but that's a EVO motor - which means it could only date back as far as 1985 or so, pretty reliable as HD mills go. Those things are dead simple (no computer, mechanical everything, easy carb, pretty oil tight).

Of course, it helps if you are an even halfway decent mechanic, but most retro-chopper guys are.
    TurnerR and squidchief like this.
  7. digcolnagos

digcolnagos Bewildered

Oddometer:
    Shows how much I know about Harleys. You see a chain drive and you just assume...
    TurnerR likes this.
  8. DukeMButu

DukeMButu Minister of Culture

Oddometer:
    This is the best damn trip I've ever been on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ps. I'm drunk as hell. Hope I didn't mess anything up.[/QUOTE]

I wholeheartedly agree! Ride on Odysseus!
    Plebeian, TurnerR and Achtung like this.
  9. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer

Oddometer:
    dig , much study on your part is necessary , first all H-Ds aren't Sportsters. The bikes in the 21 days flick were , as introduced , an iron-head Sportster , a Shovelhead , a Knucklehead and a Panhead. Only the iron head is a Sportster , the other 3 are "Big Twins" . The Sportster line has the engine and transmission combined in one unit. On the Big Twins the motor and transmission are in separate cases.
    On the other hand there are big differences between Iron head and Evo Sportsters . The bike that Turner is on is an Evo version. Big improvements in reliability came with the Evo version , which has a flatter included angle between the valves , aluminum heads , aluminum cylinders which combined to help the motor run cooler and longer .
    You may be surprised to learn at one time an Evo Sportster held the trans-continental record for the USA.
    TurnerR, Harps_n_chops and squidchief like this.
  10. digcolnagos

digcolnagos Bewildered

Oddometer:
    Points taken. I am, though, familiar with the EVO reputation for reliability. And I know you can get a Sportster in either 883 or 1200. But you're right. My knowledge of Harleys is very limited.
    TurnerR and FJ Fun like this.
  11. Pogue

Pogue Not dead yet

Oddometer:
    Damn! Wish I'd known you were coming through, I'm in Amarillo. If you come back through this way shoot me a pm, world famous dive bar beer and burger is on me.
    I worked for Stanley Marsh for years, restored and moved those Cadillacs, matter of fact.
    TurnerR and squidchief like this.
  12. OV10

OV10 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The kind of trip I enjoy reading about most.......stripped down to the bare bones!
    TurnerR, FJ Fun and kdxdude like this.
  13. jagger_snitt

jagger_snitt Pencil Pushing Dreamer

Oddometer:
    It's hard to read this considering the massive bulge it's causing in my pants. Keep riding and reporting. I'm going next time,invited or not. Rip it up!
    TurnerR likes this.
  14. TurnerR

TurnerR Ride motorcycles, have fun

Oddometer:
    Woke up late yesterday, I think I slept till 9:30. The bed was just too cozy. I grabbed some McDonalds and the took off. I decided since I was ahead of "schedule" since I really have no plan, I'd explore some. Headed north on 491 in New Mexico then 264 West into Arizona. Yesterday was the best riding I'd done so far, and man it was gorgeous.

The place I stayed.
    [​IMG]

The lobby was cool.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In Arizona I was in the Navajo Nation. It's absolutely gorgeous. I first rose through the mountains and it became very green. Lots of hardwoods and was the first time I had saw wild horses. I'm not sure if I posted but when I crossed the Mississippi my sunglasses broke. The screw backed out of one side so I was left with a half pair of shades. I rode with the bubble shield to block the sun, but today I wanted some sunshine. At the gas station it was between a pair of monster glasses you'd see the old timers wearing after they left the optometrist or these purple women's glasses. Hey they match the bike and were only 9 bucks.

[​IMG]

Moments after that photo I saw signs for road work, 1 lane ahead. Ok no biggie. Two cars are stopped by a road worker and I sit waiting for our turn to go. This takes 40 fucking minutes... I'm in Arizona with no shade and it's 11 by now. The sun is pretty brutal. Whoever had this plan of roadwork was a jackass. They were "working" on 8 miles of road but random spots along it. It was so ignorant the way they had this set up. Finally it was our turn and by now we had a convoy of pissed off people waiting to go. I hauled ass and soon the traffic disappeared. This would be the start of what feeling truly alone feels like.

[​IMG]

After some fuel and water the locals assured me I'd be fine there was gas halfway to Tuba City. I kept seeing signs that Tuba city was 98 miles away. As in I'd ride 10 miles and it would still say 98 miles away. The third time I was getting nervous.

This guy wanted to square up. He had his homies, and I didn't want none. They punked me out.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The roads kept climbing and my fears of running out of fuel escaped me. If something happens I'll deal with it. I despise worrying about scenarios that may never happen. I felt good, I felt relaxed when I saw these pretty girls.

[​IMG]

They were close to me. Maybe 25 yards. This was the first time that I'd seen horses moving and not grazing. I would have liked to imagine it was the spirit of David Mann and tried to get a photo of them running next to me riding. Turns out it wasn't Mann at all it was just some wild horses. They stopped and so did I. You could see the wild in their eyes. I knew the feeling.

I kept climbing the mountains, and soon came into Keams Canyon. I expected an overlook. I actually descended down into the heart of the canyon. At the bottom the had fuel. I filled up. All .7 gallons. After the canyon I went through my first stretch of desert. This was this first time I had felt the extreme heat. The air was so dry my nose was hurting, I thought it was bleeding. It took a while to adjust. I rode through many small towns or villages I guess you'd call them. I assume that poverty was high, there just wasn't much there. Tiny houses or single wide trailers, I wondered what these people did to make a living or better yet how did they make a life. Then I came to Second Mesa and began to climb again. This was freaking awesome. It was extremely steep and I had to gear down to 4th.

[​IMG]

I kept climbing and soon it settled out. Over the next 50 miles I climbed and descended long steep grades. Judging distance is easy back home, out here it's so different. I can't get a grasp on how far something is when you can see forever. In the distance I could see cliffs drop off, my iPhone couldn't pick up what my eyes saw. It was pretty amazing. That 50 miles I never saw one person. In fact I became nervous that I had missed a turn, and was heading into the vast and alone desert. There was one sign to reassure me I was going the correct direction. No highway signs, or mike markers will really mess with your mind if you aren't in your comfort zone. That's how I knew I was in the right place. Eventually I began to pass some cars within 5 miles of tuba city. Entering that town was beautiful. I think the people living on the side of cliffs in those little square rock and mud homes are mental, but they probably think the same about me.

Part 2 coming in a moment...
  15. billmags

billmags Scoot Jockey

Oddometer:
    Awesome report and ride, and shades!
    Solo riding is great- your own schedule and doing whatever the hell you want when you want - can't beat it.
    All the best on the rest of your journey.
    TurnerR likes this.
  16. TurnerR

TurnerR Ride motorcycles, have fun

Oddometer:
    After arriving in Tuba City I needed some fuel for the bike and fuel for my belly. The wifi sucked ass and I had barely any service. I did notice how hard the wind was blowing and could see black clouds in the distance. It felt like I was there two hours, when I couldn't take it anymore I wanted to ride. The weather channel app said it was 101* the local bank said 104*. Either way it was warm.

I headed out of town and maybe 10 miles out is when I hit the first bit of rain. I have always heard horror stories of rain out west. Flash floods, and crazy wind, tornadoes even. I'll probably never say this the rest of my life but that rain felt amazing. They were big cold drops that cooled the skin, not the stinging feeling you normally get from rain on bare arms. It only lasted a mile maybe. A mile later I was dry again. That happened 4 times and it was nice. I headed south instead of the north rim, as I neared the entrance I saw little booths setup to sell trinkets. I passed one with a camouflage flag with the word Marines on it. I doubled back seeing if he had one of those old canvas water bags. Now this dude was a little off. I'm pretty sure he never served because he kept thinking I was talking about camelback backpacks. I said you know the old style canvas bags with the shovel and pick axe crossed on the front with the cork lid and rope to carry around your neck. He thought I was talking about those little pouches Walmart sells... I said my buddy Gyro is about your age and when he was in Twentynine Palms they used them all the time. He was still lost so I carried on.

It's 25 fucking dollars to see the Grand Canyon AND they were going to make me pay for a permit to camp. That is pretty expensive seeing as you can pay 30 with a suburban packed full of people... I paid and moments after entering saw this fella.

[​IMG]

I was a good distance and traffic was stopped so I grabbed a pic. As soon as I took a couple traffic started to move so I just put my phone in my mouth and dropped into first. This dude did not like me at all. He was PISSED. He started stomping the ground and lowering his head, in a pretty aggressive manner. Naturally the fuckhead in front of me thought this was interesting so they stop again. Now I'm dead even with this dude and no cars are between us. Just one little open lane separates us. He's stomping the ground and I'm pretty damn frightened. My plan was to drop clutch and pass the car on the narrow gravel shoulder. At least but them between me and this big boy. A little blast of exhaust from the shotgun pipes and he was gone. Whew.

The parking areas were littered with people. Lots of foreigners, who were equally amazed as I was at this place. My lousy photos or someone else's just don't show just how massive this place is. It makes you realize just how old this planet is and how insignificant we are. These old rocks will be here a trillion times longer than we will.

A couple from Spain were checking out my bike, cool people. We couldn't understand each other well, but he wanted to buy one here and ship it over. Apparently they are outrageous over there and it's cheaper to ship it across the pond. As I came back from seeing the views another guy was snapping photos. I tossed him the keys and said take off man. He laughed and we chatted a bit, then I was off again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ladies were checking out my scooter.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The sun sets fast out west.
    [​IMG]

After leaving the park people decided this road was now Bristol Motor Speedway. People were up my ass but I knew there were too many critters to be blasting down the mountain. Thank god I didn't, because a big bull elk walked out in front of me. This was the second time today a big boy has scared me and my first near encounter while riding. The new brakes and new tire did excellent and getting me stopped and I held the throttle at wide open scaring the poor fella as bad as he scared me. Maybe these idiots will slow down now. Nope.....

I rode maybe 60 miles before getting tired. Camping was ridiculous, 20 in the national park, 28 at the KOA. I think it was only 12 at the canyon but I wasn't giving them anymore of my money. I rode about half a mile into the national forest dirt road. It's free there but the road was rough and so were the tenants. I was nervous my bike may end up in someone's pickup during the night so I continued on. Copperstate motel I believe was the name in Ash Fork was awesome. 30 bucks cash, clean, comfy, quiet. It was perfect. A nice safe little town. He said in over 9 years not one person has ever had anything broken into or stolen. I highly recommend that place.

This morning I got fuel across the street. The Willys drew me in.

[​IMG]

I busted out a quick 98 miles. I'm in Kingman now, heading to Boulder City NV next to see one of my best buddies. Gonna check out Hoover. I hope they have some Dam bait, I'd like to do some Dam fishin.

Later
  17. BadgerDog

BadgerDog It was a dark and story night...

Oddometer:
    Really awesome adventure you're having. Enjoying your RR immensely.

Thanks for having us along! :clap
    TurnerR likes this.
  18. adventurebound9517

adventurebound9517 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have breakfast at the COFFEE CUP Restaurant, it's on the main drag. try the Chili Verde either in the omelette or Hevous Rancherous.
    TurnerR likes this.
  19. LookingHard

LookingHard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Faol and TurnerR like this.
  20. OldPete

OldPete Be aware Supporter

Oddometer:
    VG ride report. Thanks for the 'trip'.
    As an old fart I feel like it's 1970.

Water bags? I loved the cool water as it had an unforgettable taste. Not sure if it was the cotton canvas or a blend with flax that offered the flavor.

I bought two of these several years ago. Made for Desert Storm but not used because bio or chemical agents had free access.
    DESERT STORM WATER BAG

Desert Storm Bota Bag

Old style for $60.. YIKES!!
    Minnequa water bag with Indian | Non-Petro For Sale, Trade or Wanted | Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk
    TurnerR and kojack06 like this.