Probably the worst damn ride report of all time.....

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by TurnerR, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Midnightventure

Midnightventure -

Oddometer:
    Did they have the fire out by the N.E. entrance to Yosimite on 395 yet? That cost me 190 miles and 3 hours in a rental car to go 8 miles last week. I had my family with me on vacation.
    TurnerR and Blazejeep like this.
  2. ChiliPepperGarage

ChiliPepperGarage Spork

Oddometer:
    Great report and love the bike! Nice to see young guys appreciating and building old school stuff. You're motivating me to fire up my old bar hopper and put on some miles! Looking forward to your next update.

Attached Files:

3. varago

varago Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ORFORD and Rawdon, Qc, cold almost all time
    Love your RR, you're a kind of easy rider, keep on!
    CCitis and TurnerR like this.
  4. TurnerR

TurnerR Ride motorcycles, have fun

Oddometer:
    Thursday I rode next to a nasty storm for about 40 miles. It was getting rough, so I stopped way earlier than I had planned in Carlin NV. Stayed at a nice and cheap little motel owned by a super cool Indian family. It was a really nice and clean spot to let the rain pass. The next morning I slept in way too long on that comfy bed, so I pushed hard for Idaho.

[​IMG]

The highway was turning into the storm.
    [​IMG]

Nevada was beautiful the entire ride. Idaho was ok, but pretty boring for the most part. The beginning and end we're both fantastic. I stopped for fuel just over the line when I met some other ADVers. Super cool couple heading up to Alaska. We chatted for a while, and it was awesome to run into them. I have to admit I forgot his name, I remember Robyn with a Y because my girl is Robin with an I. We talked XC racing and they are traitors who switched from the KTM to those darn Huskies. It was great meeting you guys!!!

[​IMG]

Snake River Gorge as I was leaving town.
    [​IMG]

I wanted to be at West Yellowstone Montana by dark. The only problem was, I forgot it was 4th of July weekend.... I ended up having to back track before dark because I couldn't find a single place to stay. Every campground was full and the $30 motels wanted $250. Screw that. I did find an excellent place in Ashton ID called Jolley Camper. Mackey Jolley owned the place and it was a nice setup. I'm not sure what he did to his grass, but it was so thick and plush, I slept like a baby.

[​IMG]

Saturday morning I woke up and hit the road. I was in West Yellowstone by 10am and the plan was to cross Beartooth Pass by 4pm to give myself plenty of daylight and warmth. That whole plan went to shit soon after.... I hope to never go to a national park on a weekend let alone a holiday weekend like the 4th. It took almost an hour to get the 16 miles to Old Faithful. Then it had just went off so I had to wait another hour just to see it. I'm glad I did, it was very cool. Some people complained that it wasn't impressive. I think that's because we as a country have dulled everything down. We expect more and more. For something that occurs in nature, and keeps repeating itself, I found it amazing.

At the geyser I waited for about 35 minutes for a decent spot to see the show. A few minutes before it went off an Asian man came up next to me. Now I'm 8 inches behind the benches for the elderly folks to sit, and this guy keeps trying to inch in front of me. Then he pulls out his phone and cameras and literally keeps putting them about 3 inches from my nose. Directly in front of my face. Keep in mind I've been patiently waiting here for over 35 minutes. About the 4th time that I had to lean back from his camera almost touching my nose I put my hand in front of his face and asked him if he appreciated that? I said I know you're excited but you're being rude. The guy to my left starts laughing and says I handled it better than he would have. I think everything is going to be ok now, he was just in the moment. Wrong. Old faithful starts to go off and this guy with his backpack literally push me backwards as he's trying to get my golden spot. I've had enough. This made me completely furious how rude this fucker was being so I took both of his little shoulders and picked him up and moved him to the side. Now I'm a relatively small guy, but I dwarfed him. I picked him up like I would my girlfriends son. The guy to my left is horse laughing and can't believe how oblivious this guy is. I knew I was mad because I didn't say a word I was just quiet.

[​IMG]

I was still annoyed and ready to get moving. I passed several cars on the way north, but it still took forever.... Halfway to Mammoth Hot Springs the weather was looking lousy. The temperatures were dropping fast and the sky was grey. I pulled on my jacket and kept pressing north.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The hot springs were neat. I could feel the rain closing in and by now it's almost 4pm with me still in the park. Cooke City was only about 30 or 40 miles but I was afraid it would be foolish to continue across the pass today. As I was about to leave to more bikes pulled in. A triumph tiger and the new Honda Africa twin. I chatted with them a bit, and while hesitant at first they seemed to warm up. Two grandpa glide baggers went by and they went into a rant about Harleys. They asked what I was riding and I just smiled. They couldn't seem to understand why I would want to ride my bike like that. If you don't get it then you won't. I said goodbye and eyed that pretty Honda again, it's a damn good looking machine.

Hot springs
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

As soon as I left the rain started.... For 40 miles it was a light drizzle but just enough to freeze me to the bone. I stopped in Cooke City for fuel and a wild eyed beaded fella walks out asking where I came from. I told him my story and he asks what show I went to in California. When I told him Born Free he lit up saying he knew it, he was suppose to be there but couldn't make it out. We talked bikes for a while and I ask if he knows of any campgrounds with space left for a tent. He confirmed my fears that everything within 100 miles was full but his backyard wasn't. Perfect!! We grabbed beers at the local saloon and soon went to the real party at his place. All the young folk working there for the summer had an amazing camp fire blazing and invited me in as one of their own. They gave me beers and everyone exchanged stories. It was a good time. Soon I was ready to throw my tent up and he said honestly we've had a grizzly sighting twice this week, why don't you sleep in my shed. He had a washer/dryer, and bed in there. That was super nice. I slept like a king in that shed.
    Plebeian, MadRusski, CCitis and 19 others like this.
  5. Hoodcounty

Hoodcounty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The wife and I always seemed to find orientals to be a charming and wonderful people............everywhere but yellowstone. Much like giving car keys to a Texan.
    The fun part is going to the south end in the marshes and watching the asian tour busses stop to photoshoot the moose ( plural meeses?? )
    Eventually someone has to wade out to try to pet one of the darn things and the fun begins.............................

Red Lodge and Roberts are where I grew up. Hope you enjoy the area as much as I'm digging this ride report. Thanks for taking us along!
    TurnerR and shuswap1 like this.
  6. Fddriver2

Fddriver2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sleeping in a shed... I like it....

Dead Indian Pass is in that area... Along 212 to the south..
    TurnerR likes this.
  7. robcig

robcig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    DAMN, I read this RR from start to finish this morning (supposed to be working)... Fantastic man, you took me on a trip of a lifetime. From cold, wet, miserable Sydney Australia, THANKYOU!!! BTW, your dad was born in 1967? F&&k, I AM old!
  8. Pedersoli

Pedersoli Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good RR. I had 2 Sportsters back in the mid '70's. Your ride report brings back memories. I didn't have nothing fancy like a tent back then just two surplus poncho shelter halves. Sporties were the most reliable Harleys then, and still are
    out rider and TurnerR like this.
  9. haystack

haystack Just ride

Oddometer:
    :lurk
    MadRusski and TurnerR like this.
  10. BadgerDog

BadgerDog It was a dark and story night...

Oddometer:
    I know, right?

It's been like 4 days, I hope our young Mr. TurnerR is OK and just having too much fun to post.

:kumbaya:choppa:dutch:kbasa2

:lurk
    TurnerR and oldmantime like this.
  11. pfalcioni

pfalcioni Forever NOob

Oddometer:
    Your writing style suits your riding style perfectly, I'm enjoying the hell out of this ride report.
  12. kdxdude

kdxdude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    He's about 2 1/2 hrs from home right now. Hopefully he will give a review of his trip in a day or two. Awesome trip! Proud of ya Turner for living your dreams! Proud Dad here!!

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk
    mike, DesertRatliff, TurnerR and 15 others like this.
  13. digcolnagos

digcolnagos Bewildered

Oddometer:
    You must have done something right.
    TurnerR, kdxdude and SavannahCapt like this.
  14. BadgerDog

BadgerDog It was a dark and story night...

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update, yes, I hope he will give us a last chapter.

I have to say, never in my life have I wanted a Harley, much less a chopper.

Till now.

:hmmmmm

Thanks again for having us along. This adventure has been like no other on the site. Well done!
    TurnerR, FJ Fun, Allucaneat and 3 others like this.
  15. Ozarkroadrunner

Ozarkroadrunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Between Georgia and Arkansas most of the time
    Thanks for the update! I was getting worried the little Asian guy had returned and put some Kung Fu on him. Glad he's safe and almost home!
    TurnerR likes this.
  16. Haven't Ben There

Haven't Ben There restless soul

Oddometer:
    I have really enjoyed this RR. Thanks for sharing it with us and ride safe.
    TurnerR and RoosterMan like this.
  17. Pariahtize

Pariahtize Miscategorized

Oddometer:
    Awesome RR!
    TurnerR likes this.
  18. Takin'aTrip

Takin'aTrip I have miles to go before I sleep

Oddometer:
    @TurnerR...about your rr and your story-telling...when I read it, its as if I'm right there...right there with you, dude. I don't know if non-bikers get it if they read it, but I'm pretty sure bikers with a sense of adventure who have ridden non-stop away from home for at least as far as one full tank of gas will take them get it...they get your story...the feelings...the textures.

You make me wanna go find an Evo-motored softail and minimalize it and trace your ride. My old bad back insists I have some kind of suspension if i do lol.

EXCELLENT
    rr and pics, dude...you have the knack. The best lines for me were, "You could see the wild in their eyes. I knew the feeling." Wow!!!...I felt that in my head and chest...my very core!!! Nope...this is one of the best damn ride reports of all time.
    TurnerR, texas_aggie and kdxdude like this.
  19. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    Hahaha, the phone guy story at Old Faithful killed me. Had a similar incident with someone at my stepdaughter's music recital. Dude started arguing with me about why he should be allowed to hold his phone in front of the faces of everyone behind him. Some people...

Life, you're doing it right!
    TurnerR likes this.
  20. DRconvertible

DRconvertible Lurking in SoCal

Oddometer:
    Your title sucked me in because on a Saturday afternoon that I had to work I wanted to read the worst damn ride report of all time. You let me down. This ride is great and the report awesome. Great photos and narrative. Ride safe.
    CCitis, TurnerR and Haven't Ben There like this.