Problems with KTM Twins?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Bigcitylight, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Bigcitylight

Bigcitylight Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, I'm new to the forum but just purchased a 2011 Adventure so I'll be hanging out here a lot more I suspect.

I'm wondering what your experiences are with www.KTMtwins.com for parts. So far mine hasn't started out on the right foot and i'm beginning to worry it may be a scam site.

Thursday night, I spent a good couple of hours, picking our my first load of parts. Place the order spending way too much money on things i probably don't need but look f@#$ing sweet. The order goes through and the page says I will receive an email confirmation shortly. Heres where things get weird.

After receiving no confirmation, I call the next morning. No answer, I leave a message. I call that afternoon, Still no answer, I leave another message. I check the site and find another number to call. This number goes to some woman voicemail saying that "if you are trying to reach KTMtwins they have the wrong number listed on their site "

I wait the weekend and call again today but still no answer or callback. The good news is I haven't seen charge on my CC yet and I hope I don't until I can talk to them.

Anyone else have good or bad reviews about ktmtwins ? Would you recommend any other great online KTM parts dealers?
  2. Paddy O'Doolin

Paddy O'Doolin KTM 950 Super Enduro

Oddometer:
    I placed an order recently and received most of it within one week, San Fran to Texas. Then I placed two more orders and here I sit over 3 weeks later with no parts, no returned call, and my email to their email address bounced. Looks like I am going to be doing the ole CC dispute thing, (which I DON'T want to do) pretty soon if I don't see some parts.

Matter of fact, I will be in the Bay Area next week and maybe I should just swing by and pick up my parts OR get a CC credit, assuming they are still open for business.

Anyone have the street address for KTM Twins???
  3. Sandbogg

Sandbogg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. sonoran

sonoran Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    KTM Twins has been been going steadily downhill for a while.

I've had very good luck with RockyMtnATV. Their inventory system is linked to their microfiche so you can tell if a part is in stock or not.

Good luck getting your order issue sorted.
    E-luke and mutt550 like this.
  5. TBR

TBR One Life ~ Live It...

Oddometer:
  6. Falconfixer

Falconfixer It is what it is....

Oddometer:
    For those that don't know, that business is really just one guy, that does it in his spare time after working all day at a Ktm dealer. And when the ownership of that dealer changed hands last year, the new owner said he didn't want to help support the existence of KTM twins in any way. Hope that helps some way in your understanding of what's happening there.

Edit- I just read some posts from last month for the first time, that states that Ron quit. Well, um, shit....good luck with that then!
    Morgo690 likes this.
  7. Bigcitylight

Bigcitylight Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys, that explains a bit. I'll give rocky mountain a try.
  8. tcskibike2008

tcskibike2008 SnowHawker

Oddometer:
    I have been really impressed with Rocky MTN, got a great price on some TKC80's
  9. Tricky [RCAF]

Tricky [RCAF] Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is the phone number that I have had success with reaching them. I too have not been having a positive experience dealing with them though.

+1 (415) 621-1570
  10. Bigcitylight

Bigcitylight Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just received my order after no contact or email confirmation. I've already purchased all this stuff from other sources. I tried emailing KTM twins to do a return but even the email address order@ktmtwins they have listed on the site bounces back.

Does anyone have another email address for them?
  11. Paddy O'Doolin

Oddometer:
    Sounds like KTM Twins is a decent looking website that will immediately take your money and not send you the parts that you ordered. They have a defunct email address and no one answers the phone; the lights are on but there is nobody home. Apparently, there is no Wizard behind the Curtain.

So, I filed a dispute with the CC company and have been issued a credit. I was informed by the CC company that I will have to provide further information about the "delinquent merchant;" I think I will just print a PDF of these "KTM Twins troubles topics" along with a hyperlink. It should be pretty clear that they are not actually a reliable business anymore.
    DevilTrekker and markwoodlief like this.
  12. Bigcitylight

Bigcitylight Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just to be clear, apparently my order has shown up. (Although it's waiting for me in a mailbox in Washington so I haven't actually seen it) so it doesn't seem to be a scam site.

They just seem to be unreachable by phone or email. I need to do a return asap.
  13. SpeedyR

SpeedyR SE in the SE

Oddometer:
    I don't know the ins and outs of who owns the site, etc. but as someone mentioned they were/are affiliated with Scuderia West in San Francisco (edited to correct city!). I was in there recently (within 2 weeks) and asked about it, as they are the local KTM dealer, and they said the site has been shut down. I don't know if it was run by Scuderia, or an employee (he would have had to have bought the stuff thru Scuderia I assume?), or what the relationship was in the past but it would seem that KTMtwins.com is or should be shut down as the person that was running it isn't there any more.

if you want to order stuff, feel free to, I assume you'll probably get it, but from the feedback on ADV seems to be that any communication will be hit or miss about your order.

FYI Scuderia is a nice shop, I've bought stuff there was traveling thru town, and have bought from KTM twins in the past but it seems like your best bet these days would be to shop elsewhere that offers contact information. Any time I am thinking of buying anything online and am not 100% sure of the company, I always call their CS line first just to get an idea of who I would be talking to if there is an issue. no answer or no call back, no purchase.
    markwoodlief likes this.
  14. juno

juno Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have had good luck with them also. (Rocky mountain)
  15. Johnf3

Johnf3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    ...except that Scuderia West is in San Francisco, not LA.
  16. GoGoGavin41

GoGoGavin41 Waves to Moto Cops (and they wave back)

Oddometer:
    Kind of a shame that they're disappearing. Although they didn't have the greatest prices or CS, they were a good source of LC8 specific parts. I've done a few orders from them over the years, always got the goods. I'd occasionally browse their site to see what new stuff was coming out for the bikes. They also have (had?) a pretty good parts fiche I'd reference frequently. It sounds like they're scrambling to fulfill orders and stay above water. Maybe they just need to take the site down and try to re-org? :dunno
  17. SpeedyR

SpeedyR SE in the SE

Oddometer:
    lol. correct. I was in San Fran last week before Laguna Seca. Didn't make it to LA.
  18. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, i'll be the guy who will give them a positive. The big rubber piece that covers the hinge on my Hepco and Becker Gobies was rotting apart. Ktm Twins tracked down a replacement pair for me. It made my Gobi cases look new again!
  19. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    KTM Twins was a good Idea and Ron really took them far with his vision of a full one stop internet aftermarket and OEM parts house for LC8 and LC4 bikes. But Ron was held back by Scuderia's business structure and the difficult day to day operations of a parts house.

The fact that they don't stock anything is a real setback.

It's a shame to see it all going south.
  20. Paddy O'Doolin

Oddometer:
    Well, it all went south. Getting ripped-off by a website & delinquent reseller merchant is NOT cool. VISA will hopefully make the full credit on my account permanent, as I am guessing they are having no more luck contacting whoever holds the bank account than we are.