Problems with Navigator VI

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by leafman60, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Beairmo

Beairmo Keeping it real Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Nav VI has the "flickering and Freeze" issues. I thought maybe the issue was tied to the wonder wheel. But just out of the blue it will start changing screens and then not respond to my touch. Then it will start working again. Very frustrating to use as a navigation tool.

I am going to try and get a replacement. I will let you all know how it goes.

If anyone has any advice on what is causing this, please let me know! And thanks in advance.
  2. marco polo

marco polo Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Nav VI has had the "mind-of-its-own" syndrome happen twice. The latest was today. It works fine off the bike, but when in its cradle, it starts changing screens, accessing the weather radar map, etc., etc., all without me touching the screen, or using the wonder wheel. It will not respond to me touching the screen, nor will it respond to any commands via the wonder wheel. I'd call Garmin, but I'm due to head off on a week-long ride on Tuesday, so I'll have to wait until I get back. I'm hoping that it will magically resume operating normally, as it did the first time this happened. I bought the unit in April, 2017. It has about 30,000 miles of operation.
  3. Beairmo

Beairmo Keeping it real Supporter

Oddometer:
    I spoke with Garmin and they said that I must go to the dealership for replacement. But that does make sense because I am pretty sure the issues are related to the wonder wheel. I am doing on going testing of the Nav VI in my car to see if I can get the same symptoms while not in the cradle.

But since I have a trip coming up it will be later in October before I have time to drop the bike off. Arrrggg.
  4. Oron

Oron Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My one year old NAV VI recently had similar symptoms of flickering and freezing and general signs of a catastrophic stroke. I never dropped the unit, soaked it with a power sprayer, or any other abuse. I wondered if the wonder wheel might be the cause, but it was also unusable when off the mount, even after multiple hard resets.

I contacted the BMW dealer and they suggested updating the firmware from the Garmin website. I updated the firmware and the map to the latest versions, but with no joy. I then contacted Garmin tech support and the rep said the 5 year, 70K mileage warranty was good and to send them the unit for replacement. Off it went UPS to Kansas. After waiting about 2 weeks and enduring the black hole in my dashboard, I received a spanking-new (different serial number) replacement NAV VI with all the accessories in a shrink-wrapped box. All I can hope for is more robust hardware and / or software. Time will tell.

Bottom line: there is / was a vulnerability / defect in the Nav VI, but dealing directly with Garmin will likely result in a quick, hassle-free replacement.
  5. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    This isn't right, right?
    [​IMG]

It's been going into this mode every time I startup te bike. no buttons respond and if I restart the device, it'll work.
  6. Oron

Oron Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Adam: Not a good sign. You are defaulting to a diagnostic mode on startup. Not sure how to remedy it, but you may want to contact Garmin.
    BTW, since I got my replacement NAV VI, it defaults at start-up to a "weak satellite signal" notice, regardless of access to the sky. Not a huge issue, but noteworthy.
    Fosters and AdamChandler like this.
  7. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to quote this because I didn't hear 70K but Garmin who is replacing my device with a sketchy responsive screen said it's a 5 year warranty and it's easier to just go through them for a replacement.
    bb82bird likes this.
  8. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine does that too. I just figured it was starting up before the GPS sats were found. I just continue and it works fine.
    Oron likes this.
  9. Oron

Oron Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Agreed, but it never did this before.

While we are all lamenting about our Garmins, I pose a question:
    I noticed in the literature that came with the replacement unit (which I admit to ignoring the first go around), something about NOT plugging in a battery charger while the NAV VI was connected to the bike.
    I have an official BMW trickle charger and I can't imagine that with the ignition and Garmin off and the charger connected, that the charger can adversely affect the Garmin. Any thoughts if other inmates take the trouble to remove Garmin from the cradle before connecting the bike to a battery charger? (In New England and in the winter it can be weeks between rides.)
  10. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Like I said, mine is doing that, and I haven’t had a charger on it. I think it started after last update.

Might be fixed in next one. Have you done update lately?
  11. Oron

Oron Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am running the latest update.
  12. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    The BMW GPS connection is on the same circuit as the accessory sockets. BMW chargers (and some Optimates) are designed to activate that circuit to allow charging through that socket even with the ignition off. I'd expect the NAV to awaken while the charger is active, and go into "sleep" (not OFF) mode between charging periods. So charging will be slightly slower, and parasitic draws on the battery might be slightly higher between cycles. You might find your NAV screen lit up in the middle of the night, but I don't see any real harm occurring. During extended storage periods, the NAV battery will be going through charge/discharge cycles, shortening its life to some extent.

If I'm not riding every day, I use the button on the back to force my GPS off and connect my Optimate directly to the battery via an SAE lead.
    Oron likes this.
  13. East End

East End Bilge Rat

Oddometer:
    My Nav VI went schizoid after a year. I contacted Garmin and they identified the problem as "Ghost Touch" and stated it was fatal. They sent me a replacement and it's fine.
  14. vinnyl26

vinnyl26 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So something I’ve found interesting. I had the nav 6 for a year. Never could get the whole iPhone Sena pairing so that the media player and phone work as designed. It was a total headache. So I sold my bmw and bought a Garmin 595 to go with my new bike. That thing works flawless as it should. Media player over Bluetooth works perfect. Answers and dials phone. Why the hell cant Garmin get it right with the Nav 6?
  15. Parcero

Parcero Mundial

Oddometer:
    Chicago physically, Colombia en mi mente.
    All of this just confirms that I should just continue using my iPhone 7+ and maps.me as my GPS unit. In addition to being easier to use and not having to be plugged into anything for updates and route input, neither the phone nor the app ever has any issues like every one of my Garmin devices has had over the years. I don’t know why Garmin can’t seem to make a foolproof device, especially one as critical to a trip as a GPS can be.
  16. bthuss

bthuss Adventurer

Oddometer:
    my nav VI got the ghost touch after almost exactly 1 year. i tried everything and even had my local BMW dealer look at it to no avail. just called garmin directly and they were quick and courteous to send me a new unit. shipping mine back later this week and it should take a few weeks to get the new unit but they indicated that they are aware of the issue (as mentioned here before). not sure if there is a fix though. hopefully the new unit resolves the issue.
    Parcero likes this.
  17. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine is doing the same thing so I’ll have to call Garmin as well...:bluduh
    Glad Garmin is owning up to the issue though.:thumbup
  18. Ron from BC

Ron from BC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ditto, 12 months almost to the day and my random screen changes were busy again this morning. I'll call them tomorrow and hopefully the replacement unit will be new and not a refurb.

It would be good to know if they've fixed the hardware issue.
  19. bthuss

bthuss Adventurer

Oddometer:
    when i was on the phone with garmin, I asked specifically if the unit was new or refurbished. they indicated that the unit would be new....although there was a short pause after I asked and before the response :hmmmmm

the bigger issue for me is that garmin asked questions about my malfunctioning unit and was indicating that they are logging the behavior and want to test the unit to see if they can figure out why it is happening....which leads me to believe that the issue has not been identified with any absolute resolution. the only hope is that the replacement is indeed a new unit and the actual problem is something with a specific "batch" of units with regard to manufacturing or something that is no longer an issue with the newer ones.
  20. Ron from BC

Ron from BC Long timer

Oddometer:
    UPDATE:

As planned I phoned Garmin and it was a very positive experience.

I explained the problem and was then asked for the serial number so he could determine the build date. He confirmed that this unit was one that could present the 'Ghost Touch Screen' anomaly. He will be sending an email with a questionnaire on the problem for their engineers and asked that I attach my short video of the screen 'acting up' to my reply. Once he receives that email he will then send an RMA number along with a UPS shipping label for return.

This Ghost Touch warranty issue is being handled differently than some as he acknowledged that it is a known problem and as such the replacement units that are being returned are NEW and not refurbs. That said the new unit may not be in an OEM box but it will not be a refurb. He also said they just need the GPS unit in a padded envelope and they'd rather the battery was NOT shipped. For those in Canada, they are aware of the Canada Post labor disruption and are using UPS for these returns.

He said the issue has been fixed and it was a hardware screen/display issue not software and that these units are fine.

I'm interested to hear how others have received their replacement units.....sealed OEM box with all the accessories or just the GPS?
    bthuss likes this.