Problems with Navigator VI

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by leafman60, Dec 19, 2017.

1. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Called up Garmin and received an RMA and my old GPS is on the way. My brother's GPS is also on the way back to Garmin as we both bought them at the same time.
    Very pleasant exchange with the Garmin rep, he also told me to keep all the accessories incl. the battery and assured me that they are shipping new units back, not refurbished ones.
  2. Ron from BC

Ron from BC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you get the RMA info in one email and get a second with a UPS shipping label or something like that? I just got the RMA information but no shipping label etc.....just an address of where to mail this one to.

I was told this morning that I'd get a UPS shipping label to print off and attach for mailing.
  3. bthuss

bthuss Adventurer

Oddometer:
    they should be sending you a UPS label as well. the label email may come later as it is UPS that sends it to you.
    Ron from BC likes this.
  4. bthuss

bthuss Adventurer

Oddometer:
    they told me the same thing (take out battery and keep all my stuff). so i made sure to only send the GPS with no case or anything. i guess we'll see in a few weeks once things get processed. with xmas around the corner i suspect that ill be without a GPS for a while
  5. Ron from BC

Ron from BC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the follow up. I'm sure the label will be here by tomorrow so I'll drop by the post office and put it in a padded envelope, as that was recommended by Garmin, and drop it off at UPS.

Keep us updated on your return progress and when it arrives if it's a new in a sealed OEM box with the accessories or just new in a small package...:lurk

Update:

2nd Email from FedEx with label - gone!
  6. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the late reply but yes I got two emails within minutes of each other and so did my brother. We shipped them out this afternoon already..
    Ron from BC likes this.
  7. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    Just got word the new ones are on the way from Garmin. Turnaround time about 10 days. That's great service in my book!!:thumb:thumb
  8. Ron from BC

Ron from BC Long timer

Oddometer:
    How long from the time your's arrived at the RMA location to when you received the notice of the news ones being shipped?
  9. bthuss

bthuss Adventurer

Oddometer:
    got my RMA on Nov 28th. I didn't get a chance to ship until LATE on Dec 3rd. Garmin received my unit on Dec 7th. Garmin sent replacement on Dec 10th. i had the new unit in my hands on Dec. 12th (came mid-day).

so 1.5 weeks and less than 8 business days.

the new unit was not in the same big box that i got through bmw but instead was in a smaller nondescript white box inside of a bubble wrap pocket. the unit does have another serial number, is pristine, and had a sticky screen cover like the original did. new battery came as well.

i have not put it on the bike yet, but i charged the battery and updated the software,etc and set the new unit up on my computer. everything seems to work as it should.

im super happy about how fast this turnaround was especially with the holidays and shipping etc.
  10. Ron from BC

Ron from BC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great, using Garmin's RMA status link mine was received by them on Dec 10th and there's been no movement since. I assume that same web page will show when it's shipped and I'd get an email with a shipping tracking number but now that it's Friday I guess they won't do anything more until next week. I guess the turnaround time in Canada is slower .......

As mentioned earlier, the Garmin rep also told me that it wouldn't be in a retail box BUT it would be a new unit as you just described.
  11. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    Got our brand new units from Garmin today !! Great service! It is about a 10 working day turn around. They also had a weather delay due to the storms in the midwest...
  12. Bob W

Bob W Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Called Garmin today and they will replace my gps. Waiting for the return lable.
  13. Bernie Echt

Bernie Echt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, mine did this last spring and then never again, until last Sunday, so I called Garmin on Wednesday.
    Of course the customer rep insists that I need to do a total factory reset first and then retry.
    I guess I see what happens on tomorrows ride.
  14. Orindarider

Orindarider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i have had the phantom touch problem on and off for quite some time. Yeserday the garmin as mostly unusable the entire day so I called them this morning. Was an easy call with them after checking on the serial number. Depending on the bike you have it installed on they have a lot of toubleshooting questions to ask but with a 2018 GSA they didnt have any. The onlu problem is they are running low of new devices . They will get some in the middle of the month and then more at the end of the month. Sounded like they are fielding a lot of these calls.
    scfrank likes this.
  15. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Returned my Nav VI today. Have the spurious screen inputs problem. They will replace with new. Unfortunately they are on back order. I’d be satisfied with half my money back.

Garmin support tech was very pleasant and straightforward.
  16. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:

They ask me to do that. I did while they were on the phone. Couldn’t get through the setup after reset because of faulty inputs.
  17. G Elliott

G Elliott n00b

Oddometer:
    I talked with Garmin today about the screen switching issue. He said it's a known issue and they will replace it with no questions asked. However, he said the replacement would probably be a refurb unit, not new. Also, they're out of units and don't expect more until 1/31. But they don't know how many units are waiting for replacement, and how many new/refurbs they'll get next week. So I may get a replacement in ~2 weeks, or it may be a lot longer. Mine works right 98% of the time so I hate to send it in with no idea when I'll get a new one back.
  18. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wellll, the new replacement NAV 6 that I got about a year ago (RE: original post here) has also gone on the fritz. After several calls to Garmin, they are replacing it again as soon as they get some units in stock. This will be my third crack at a NAV VI. It seems to always happen just before a long trip!

The very nice guy at Garmin acknowledged that they have had problems with this model.

sigh

19. Ron from BC

Ron from BC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Crap.....any chance the problem wasn't fixed when you got your replacement a year ago? When I got my new one in Dec the tech said that they had identified it was display hardware and that it had been resolved.
  20. GrusMC

GrusMC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How would one know if its a newer batch?