Problems with Navigator VI

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by leafman60, Dec 19, 2017.

1. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just received my replacement. Haven’t had it on the bike yet.
  2. JurgenB

JurgenB daily rider

Oddometer:
    My NAV VI mutes every other song. I get the „muted“ songs to play by pressing “Mute”, then “Unmute” but this is a hassle (I added a “Mute” button to the screen - makes it easy to talk to my riding buddies when stopped at an intersection.) Annoying!
    The NAV VI is a replacement from Garmin after the original unit developed the “screen going wild” issue.
    Software is up-to-date, AFAIK. Also, I did the full reset.
  3. JurgenB

JurgenB daily rider

Oddometer:
    Bump. Anyone else having this issue?
  4. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I read several got their unit replaced. I have this exact same problem on 2 units! 1 under warranty and one that is after 2 years (Canada is 2 years I think).

Anybody know what the problem is? Is it the board (1 part) or the connector on the board (same part, female soldered on the board) or the touchscreen (1 part that comes with the male connector). There is only two main parts in this gps when you split it in two (board+back cover and touchscreen+front cover)
  5. Orindarider

Orindarider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It’s the touchscreen that goes bad.
  6. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Because I was wondering if the connector on the board could be the culprit.
  7. JurgenB

JurgenB daily rider

Oddometer:
    Looks like I will go the R&R route again. During this year‘s Europe trip, the unit kept freezing up several times daily. If it wasn‘t for the integration with the wonderwheel, I would ask Garmin for my money back. They used to make excellent GPS units but the NAV VI is a POS.
  8. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had great experience with my Nav V but the Nav VI needs an upgrade... My dealer said they had near to zero returns on the Nav V but have a lot of returns on the Nav VI :|
  9. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone know up to what build date the issues with the Nav 6 carry through to?
  10. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't worry about the build... I had one that was 1 year old that was exchanged ~last june (2019)... They said what they were sending me was one not affected by the problem *BUT*, last month, the problem appeared on the "new" "not affected one"... So I just got a new (2nd) replacement...
    1coolbanana likes this.
  11. sperz1

sperz1 Lame Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My one year old nav 6 just crapped out as well. Completely unresponsive even after updates. Heading to the dealer this week. Pretty discouraging when considering the cost. My gpsmap 60csx still works great after 8 years of abuse.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  12. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm at my third unit and the two last were supposed to be from another "batch" that was not affected by the screen bug... I do ride a lot though (in every kind of inclement weather, like 35-40,000km/yr) but still, my NAV V was good without a glitch for years...
  13. Ron from BC

Ron from BC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just got off the phone with Garmin, the call took about 5 minutes. Email received with RMA and shipping information for return and thankfully just made the weekly cut off date for them shipping new units out so as soon as mine is received at the Toronto center the new one will be there to mail back to me.

They said my 'first' replacement, which was made in Sept '18 should have been in the updated batch that corrected the problem however there have still been 'some' failures......lucky me.

Regardless, notwithstanding this display issue, this has been my favorite Garmin MC GPS and the customer service has been stellar so I'm good working through this issue.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  14. Bike Guy

Bike Guy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I purchased new bike and V1 in Aug. I have experienced the frozen screen several times along the with jump pages. My dealer says he has had numerous complaints and I’m to call Garmin. I called Garmin and my complaint is noted and logged. My software and maps were from the year ‘17. All updated to latest and greatest now so we will see what happens. Problem is I have a surgery Dec 3 and will be off bike for 6 weeks.
  15. Ron from BC

Ron from BC Long timer

Oddometer:
    My guess will be you'll get the same unannounced screen changes regardless of F/W updates. I'd get it RMA'd now while you're going to be off the road.

My .02c
    Bike Guy likes this.
  16. JurgenB

JurgenB daily rider

Oddometer:
    Missing quote
  17. JurgenB

JurgenB daily rider

Oddometer:
    Don't bother with the dealer. Instead, call Garmin, get a RMA and sent it in to Garmin for a replacement
    Parcero likes this.
  18. sperz1

sperz1 Lame Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Even though it’s a warranty item at this point? What’s the advantage?
  19. Parcero

Parcero Mundial Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chicago physically, Colombia en mi mente.
    I’ve been thinking about upgrading to the Nav VI from my Nav V, if for no other reason than I just upgraded my bike from a 2015 to a 2020 model. I don’t know exactly how long the Nav VI has been out, but it seems like at least a few years, which is an eternity in tech. Anyone hear any rumors or know anything about a Nav VII?
  20. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    My replacement NAV VI arrived. It was well protected:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]