Problems with Navigator VI

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by leafman60, Dec 19, 2017.

1. JurgenB

JurgenB daily rider

Oddometer:
    Because the dealer is only the middleman. Garmin will honor the warranty and that will be quicker. Going through the dealer may save you $5 in postage for sending it back to Garmin but they may even send you a UPS authorization. Garmin customer service is outstanding, as many inmates here will confirm.
  2. WorldWideRide

WorldWideRide Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just sent mine back last week due to "ghost touch".
    Garmin gave me a return label
    Asked if I’d get a new unit - "no, it will be a refurb" but, i see u got a new 1.
    Did u do the normal exchange or pay for advanced replacement?
    Obviously, I’d like a new gps - crossing my fingers.
  3. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:

No special process. I did have to pay shipping though. They didn’t offer a return label.
  4. WorldWideRide

Oddometer:
    Cool that u got a new retail unit
    My status specifically says "head unit" only.
    What was the turnaround time?
    Will post when I get mine.
    2E90DFDA-F82A-431E-A02C-6B2B8FC4E4A9.jpeg

5. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Last year, I emailed Product.Support@garmin.com with this information:

Description: Hello. Device boots up into a firmware mode. Restoring software won't help it. In addition, before this problem started, the device would register many (dozens a minute) false inputs. Screen is not scratched and I've tried deep cleaning and still screen just erratically acts like my finger is pressing different places But now, screen just looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/fx8FiuQ.jpeg but exit button doesn't respond.
    Product: BMW Motorrad Navigator VI

Name:
    First Name:
    Last Name:
    Phone Number:
    Locale: en-US
    BrowserVersion:
    BrowserType:
    Tags: BMW Motorrad Navigator VI,BMW Motorrad,BMW,Automotive OEM,Consumer Products,Product
    Shipping Address
    Country/Region:
    Address Line 1:
    Address Line 2:
    City:
    State/Province:
    Zip/Postal Code:

This year, I replied to last year's email to them with this:
    Similar to the situation I had with serial number xx / Reference xxx last year, my replacement device is now also failing.

Serial Number of new device = xxx. Replaced last year but the screen is jittering, goes unresponsive. I did a full restoration to default settings and the same thing happens. Device shows no damage.

They replied back with:
    [​IMG]

totally painless. I sent it in, 5 days later "we received your device" 3 days later "we've shipped a replacement" truly no questions asked so that email does work for anyone with the issue. just send all of the info I did + serial number and mention you did a full restore and they'll just replace it.
    WorldWideRide likes this.
  6. WorldWideRide

Oddometer:
    This is your 2nd replacement?
    1st one was replaced with new retail box also?

why would ur return say out of warranty? 5 years warranty USA

B6465CA3-A021-4D06-A5EE-812F55FDCC4A.jpeg
  7. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Correct. 2nd replacement. First unit acquired 09/2017. By 10/2018, it had failed and a replacement was given new in box. Now 11/2019, 3rd NAV VI in hand. Let's see if this lasts longer than a year.

I've ordered this in hopes it extends the life a bit - https://www.speedo-angels.com/product/bmw-navigator-vi-gps-nano-glass-screen-protector/ I have their protector on my TFT. It's really good. You can find it on Amazon, too.

As for out of warranty, they replaced it free of charge so I just ignored that bit.
  8. Ron from BC

Ron from BC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ditto, 1st one came with bike in Dec '17. Dec '18 that was RMA'd and I received new one in a retail box. I just RMA'd that one yesterday. In both cases I was given a prepaid UPS shipping label. I asked the CSR yesterday if I would be getting a refurb or new and she said new. When I talked to Garmin for for first 'replacement' he said due to the problem it's not a refurb situation but whole new unit.

I'll let you know if my next one arrives in a retail box.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  9. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Great start! My replacement device is DOA. Wont’ boot up, just stays at “BMW MOTORRAD” SCreen. Plugged it into a wall charger over night, tried har resetting, tried Garmin Express on the computer and tried putting it on the bike. Won’t get past the loading screen.

Good things it’ winter!!!! I have no issue when Bike stuff fails in the winter. does’nt stress me out at all.
  10. WorldWideRide

Oddometer:
    We ride all year round in SW FL. Good thing I still have the NAV5 - a real workhorse.
    Its crazy that ur new retail box unit is DOA.

Garmin told me the ghost touch was due to a manufacturing defect & wanted me to pay shipping till I said it doesn’t seem right I have to come out of pocket for an issue caused by Garmin. My rep said I’d be getting a refurb before we had the shipping convo.

Every post I’ve read, users get new retail in box item.

Maybe I'm special and will get some poop refurb.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  11. Ron from BC

Ron from BC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Adam, so you're saying the one you 'just received' is DOA? Yikes... that's not good. I asked the CSR if she knew when the VII would be released to which she replied, "No idea, we only get two weeks notice and that's for training.."
    AdamChandler likes this.
  12. Ron from BC

Ron from BC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well mine was received by Garmin late last week so I'm waiting for the new unit to arrive there so they can send it out....according to Garmin CSR it takes a week so it should be there today or tomorrow. What does concern me as, unlike the last time, my RMA email this time refers to 'Replacement Head'. The gal said it would be a new unit not a refurb so unless they're now handing out new heads without the retail box and accessory stuff I'm skeptical of that this 'new head' will be a solution.

Adam: What have they said on your recent DOA 'new' replacement?
  13. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I said:
    Hi Team, I received the replacement unit but it is DOA. The screen only shows a yellow battery icon. I plugged the unit in for 3 days to a wall outlet USB charger using the supplied USB cable with your device and no change. I tried hooking it up to the bike, still yellow question mark on the battery icon. I noticed that this usually means the device is not charged enough but it will not boot connected to the bike or a wall outlet or computer.

Their response:
    A yellow battery icon does indicate the battery just needs to charge. We cannot guarantee that any third party wall charger will work properly with our devices. We recommend using a 2A charger, but even then we cannot guarantee it will work.

The best way to charge it in this case would be on the motorcycle cradle. You would need to connect it to the cradle and leave it connected for 30 minutes to an hour receiving power. This should provide enough of a charge on the battery for the device to begin working.

These companies deal with enough idiots that I get why they said this but my house, every wall charger has four, 2.4 amp USB-A style ports alongside the 2 wall plugs, I also have a 60 watt USB-A wall outlet and just for shits and giggles, I ran my bike for 30 minutes with the Garmin hooked up to it and still have the same yellow battery icon so I'm replying to their email asking for a replacement.
    Ron from BC likes this.
  14. Ron from BC

Ron from BC Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's just adding insult to injury.....that contact was a fail in my book.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  15. Parcero

Parcero Mundial Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chicago physically, Colombia en mi mente.
    It’s no wonder that so many of us have ditched Garmin for any one of the numerous smartphone navigation apps, almost all of which allow us to import, create, and share routes easily, without the need to be connected to a computer. We can also update maps wirelessly, and view everything on screens that are readable in any light. These apps are far less expensive (some free), and don’t require countless hours wasted fiddling around with computers and dealing with tech and repair issues. More time to ride!

Also, since late-model iPhones and probably Android smartphones are waterproof enough at least, in my experience, for day-long rides in driving rains, Garmin can't even win on weather resistance.
  16. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Garmin is sending me a replacement battery. Should be here in 7-10 days. That's why I always do this kind of stuff in the winter.
  17. WorldWideRide

Oddometer:
    CSR told me to remove and retain my battery before sending it back - I did. Garmin received my unit Monday but, still shows they are waiting to receive on status page.

***Update***
    Just spoke w CSR - they upgraded return shipping to 2nd day air no charge and said I would be getting a new unit, even though; the status shows “replacement head unit”.
  18. Ron from BC

Ron from BC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Adam: Obvious question, assuming you retained your battery the last two times you sent the defective heads back, did you try one of those batteries?

I'd be interested what 'Replacement Head' actually is when it arrives for the Ghost Touch RMA issue. Are they 'now' just sending a new head and not the whole retail box that we have been receiving....
  19. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I've never been told to keep my old battery so I do not have any NAV VI batteries on hand at the moment except the one that came in this new device that won't hold a charge.
    Ron from BC likes this.
  20. Ron from BC

Ron from BC Long timer

Oddometer:
    In an effort to quell my OCD curiosity over my 'Replacement Head Unit' listed on the RMA email I had an on line with Garmin Support. He confirmed that the replacement will be a new Retail Box unit like my first replacement.....hopefully with a good battery :jack

If not I've already collected two spare batteries from these RMA's.
    AdamChandler likes this.