Problems with Navigator VI

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by leafman60, Dec 19, 2017.

1. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    I'm watching this thread, because i can't imagine returning any device 3-5 times in the hopes of getting a "good" one, then putting it on my bars and trusting it not to titsup in the middle of a trip... add the ultra inflated price of the original purchase and I'm rolling around in the floor... but the thread is interesting none the less
    Parcero likes this.
  2. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is he taking a nap or is he dead !???

Lots of postings here and elsewhere about problems with Navigator VI.

Mine is still working !!! Hope I don't jinx it by saying this!

One thing, I want to mention that I or others have probably already said -

One peculiarity of even a properly-functioning Navigator VI is that the unit actually stays on when you turn off your bike. Yes, the screen goes dark but that puppy is still cranking inside with something like a sleep mode. When full power hits it again as you turn on your ignition, you'll notice the screen pops back to life without any boot sequence. Yeah, that's cool. It's ready for business right off the bat.

The down side to this is that the Navigator VI is using its internal battery to maintain this sleep status while your bike is turned off. That internal battery will eventually drain down even if you have a charger attached to your bike's battery. So, if you don't use your bike somewhat regularly, you are likely to have a dead Navigator VI when you do switch on the bike's ignition.

In such cases, if you are lucky and things work as they should, as the voltage comes into the unit it will suddenly wake up but go into a cold start boot-up sequence. You'll notice the screen reading "BMW MOTORRAD." Hopefully, the unit will eventually go into activation, your maps will load and you'll be back to normal. The internal battery will take some time to recharge and the fuller that recharge, the longer the Navigator VI will sleep without winking off into the dead zone when you turn the bike off.

Now, I've noticed in these situations where the Navigator VI internal battery wears down, that there can be quite a while of bike running to eventually re-energize the unit. Apparently, the voltage that goes into the Navigator VI from the bike must build up the internal Navigator VI battery to a certain point before the unit will come back to life. This is unlike many electronic devices that will usually function when external power is supplied even if the internal battery is dead.

There is no way to completely turn off the Navigator VI and stop the drain on its internal battery as long as it is in its bike cradle. To fully turn the unit off, you must remove the Navigator VI from its cradle and hold the rear power switch down for several seconds until it shuts down. As long as the bike ignition and accessories are off, you can replace the Navigator VI into its cradle. When the bike is later turned on, the Navigator will light up and go through the boot sequence to reach operational status.

If you ride your bike regularly, you are less likely to experience problems of the unit coming on when you start up the motorcycle.

Bain Dramage likes this.
  3. WorldWideRide

WorldWideRide Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just received my refurb head unit and thats all it is (no retail box ☹️)+ they sent me a new battery that was less than 1/2 charged. Unit powers up. I’ll chime back in if I have another issue.
    6E007FD7-CCDF-4DDE-874C-E688FA125621.jpeg

Attached Files:

4. Ron from BC

Ron from BC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you sure it's a 'refurb' and not just a new head without the OEM box and accessories? When I chatted on line recently with Garmin regarding my latest replacement I expressed concern over the 'replacement head unit' reference on the RMA email. I said that when I replaced my first unit last year the CSR from Garmin told me that this issue was not a repair/refurb but instead a complete swap out. This latest CSR asssured me that yes they are new units and also said it should be in a retail box....however I am skeptical of that.

It would make sense, given the mass RMA issues they've had with this problem, that they would make a change in the production line to ensure some new ones were packaged differently to swap out with those with defective displays.
  5. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I'm now having problems with my replacement NAV 6. Sheeze.

Here we go again.

It's the old ghost fingers touching the screen issue. Waypoints just keep popping up uncontrollably. I cannot get the unit to track.

I just had a long session with Garmin about my NAV6.

There is an updated version of Garmin Express that contains a software mod aimed at addressing these problems. Be sure to update your Garmin Express and then update your NAV6. This may solve the problems encountered with the ghost screen touches without having to replace the unit itself.

AdamChandler likes this.
  6. Ron from BC

Ron from BC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hrmm...

1. I just received notice that my second replacement is enroute to me so the latest shipment from Taiwan did arrive at the US warehouse as expected at the end of December.

2. Software mod with Garmin express to address the Ghost Touch issue? Well in my last conversation with them I was told that the issue was as a result of dust particles being trapped underneath the screen which, over time and under the right conditions, could cause screen changes. Not sure how a software mod could change that however I'm not an expert. If it is dust then it seems it's a quality control issue.

Leafman60: When did you receive this latest replacement?
  7. Oron

Oron Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just searched for this original thread about this issue, not the new thread about the Nav VI that I just posted to. Since it seems disingenuous to post to a thread title praising Garmin about coming through (Gee, thanks Garmin for sending me my 5th replacement...you guys are great!), re-posting now here:
    Haven't given this issue much thought since my last post in the Fall of 2018?, but now with Spring around the corner, started to ride the bike and just today my replacement NAV VI has wet the bed. Same frozen, jerky screens and then not turning on as before. Just went on Garmin chat (was unable to connect by phone) and replacement (3rd) unit on its way. I suppose it could be worse; some of you have described being on your 4th or 5th replacement. Needless to say, my confidence is shaken with this product. As of March 2020, does Garmin finally have a handle on their Nav VI QC?
  8. spunkymama1250

spunkymama1250 n00b

Oddometer:
    "As of March 2020, does Garmin finally have a handle on their Nav VI QC?"

Nope. My brand new Nav VI, which arrived on Monday March 16, 2020 was dead on arrival. Dead battery and wouldn't get past the "BMW Motorrad" screen. I returned the unit yesterday. WTF Garmin.
  9. East End

East End Bilge Rat

Oddometer:
    This NAV VI problem is the gift that just keeps on giving. I mean forget their reputation, this level of failed units for a $1,000 GPS? My bike spends time in storage every year in the states and before I shut her down I fully charge the Garmin and disconnect the battery lead. That way, even several months later the battery has retained a near full charge. When I first allowed it to run down, even after shutting the unit down, it took forever to come back to life so I believe there is a drain even if you do the shutdown routine.
  10. Oron

Oron Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is exactly what I was dreading to hear. I guess I was naive to assume that after a year and a half, all the newly shipped units would be trouble free. And yes, I previously updated the latest firmware, was careful to maintain unit battery and not leave the Garmin connected while on the trickle charger of the bike. (BTW, the first replacement had unpleasant software issues that were not present on the first one, such as defaulting to "can't find satellite" upon initial screen.)
    All I can do now is wait for my latest replacement and then cross my fingers every time the ignition goes on. WTF is right!
    Bob W likes this.
  11. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    If not using the BMW navigator mount, what Garmin Zumo mount fits the Nav6, is it the 660 motorcycle mount cradle?
    I want to share the Nav6 on another bike so looking for a cradle.
  12. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm waiting for my 3rd Nav VI and hopefully it is ok out of the box... Wait and see I guess...:bore
  13. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Correct,the cradle for 660-665 will power the Nav series IV-VI.
    Alternatively the BMW cradle will also power the 660-665.

JR356
  14. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Excellent, thanks
  15. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    Just got my 3rd Nav VI in the mail and it is the V8 version so it is newer. Took about 90 mins for the map and software updates so I'll see how long this one lasts.. The one my brother owns, is now acting like the Honey Badger too....:fpalm
  16. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    What does V8 version mean and how do you know?
  17. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    It is the latest hardware version. It is in the about Garmin screen.
  18. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just checked, thanks.
    Bought last year so Im a bit surprised its V8.
    Ive had no issues so far.

[​IMG]
    rider1150gsadv likes this.
  19. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi all
    I think I know the answer but hopefully someone smarter than me has a solution. :-)
    I want to use my Nav6 on my other bike and wondering if its possible to enable the TPMS function to use the Garmin sensors just like 59x?
    Any chance that this is possible?
    TIA
  20. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    No. The NAV6 does not have the ANT+ radio or the software to support TPMS.
    1coolbanana likes this.