[Product Review]Independent Cyclops H4 LED Bulb Review

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Kray, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Discoed

Discoed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Motokeith - I spoke to the supplier today ( http://www.sportouring.co.uk/?s=Cyclops+) they are going to get back to me after they have done some research. It's a UK supplier so you would think they would sell the right version!
  2. motokeith

motokeith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This here is what you want if you are just replacing the top (hi-beam) bulb.

http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/H3-LED-Headlight-Bulb-2800-lumen_p_134.html

Note that they have specific option if the bulb is to be used in a EU 990 headlamp, part #CIL-LED-H3-990

It looks like your SportTouring.co.uk place lists the Cyclops H3 but, but not the 990 specific version.
  3. Discoed

Discoed Adventurer

Oddometer:

Thanks for the info - I have got back to sportouring today and they are looking into it
  4. Kray

Kray Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. matt88-8

matt88-8 n00b

Oddometer:
    I had the previous version. The cutoff was good and the light very bright. But I lost low beam and then high failed too. Not even two season on the bulb.

If you read there warranty page it states "identical products only" "no upgrades"

Since they had released a new version, they wouldn't warranty mine. Offered $10 off a new $70 unit.

Not worth the price for me.
  6. MyKLX400

MyKLX400 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I went from the previous gen to the new extreme one on the Superduke, very noticeable upgrade!
    Off Road Ryder likes this.
  7. dohcfox

dohcfox meh

Oddometer:
    Hi there. How many hours did you have on the unit before the low beam died? Curious, because mine just died after about 350 hours, or 1.5 years of daily commuting. Thanks!
  8. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Morimoto HID is brighter and ultra reliable. Used it for 5 years on my last S10 and a year so far on my new one.
  9. dohcfox

dohcfox meh

Oddometer:
    An update on the failure of my Cyclops LED: Yesterday I drove down to Cyclops Adventure Sports in Kent, just south of Seattle. Darryl, the owner of Cyclops and I had a look at the LED unit and the rubber boot that comes stock on the 690 Enduro headlight. It turns out that the rubber boot was occluding the metal fins that are both part of the heat sink and also serve as the intake for the cooling fan on the back of the LED. Our hypothesis is that the overheating caused by the occluded cooling mechanism gradually caused the low beam emitters to fail. Darryl took photos of the light with attached boot and has plans to use the images as an update for future install instructions. Modification of the boot was performed with a zip tie, leaving the cooling portion of the light exposed to free flowing air.

What can be understood from this scenario?

1) The Cyclops LED is a TOUGH light. The emitters were functional for 1.5 years despite being constantly overheated. Exposing the cooling fins to free flowing air will allow the light to live a normal lifespan, which should represent many, many more hours of operation.

2) Darryl takes very personally the success of his products and prides himself on how well he takes care of his customers. Darryl also remembers you as a customer, recalling things about past conversations and following up on questions from the past.

Bravo, Cyclops.
  10. mnmlst

mnmlst mnmlst

Oddometer:
  11. Off Road Ryder

Off Road Ryder Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I sent you a pm to try to figure out who offered you 10% our non written policy is that should there be a failure out of warranty we offer a 50% discount on a replacement for the second year,
    Hi Matt88-8
    I sent you a Pm a few days ago after seeing this, I was hoping for a reply and to offer some help.
    First off I am sorry the bulb did not last as long as you would have liked. There are many reasons why a bulb may have failed. (edit...in your case I see a klr250, this bike should have the boot installed under the fan not over it since it is way to tight,the boot actually has to be stretched a bit to fit over the back of the bulb, No airflow at all... end edit) This is still relatively newer tech and with each gen we improve on reliability, focus etc..If we stated we would upgrade everyone to the next version of bulb, how many do you think would intentionally try to kill their old bulb? I can tell you it would be a lot. If we did move to a newer rev and did not have the older version available, we off course would offer the upgrade.

Im not sure who you may have talked to? Maybe a dealer and not Cyclops direct? I very much would like to know. That is not our policy at all.
    although we do have a one year warranty, In general, we do offer a 50% discount on failures for the second year and 25% the 3rd year.
    with hundreds of thousands of LED bulbs sold since we started this, we are pretty proud of the overall failure rate at .05% or lower after 2 years in service
    Things do happen with electrical items like this, some understand, some not so much.

We have a lot of ADV Rider customers, they know this is not how we do business. Please post up any email etc were we denied a claim due to having a new version. It simply did not happen. and if somehow it did.. heads will roll and I will take care of you personally.