Project Ascot: Getting dirty with a 1983 Honda VT500FT

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by TwinDuro, Feb 27, 2016.

1. TwinDuro

TwinDuro Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here are a few more picture of the odd looking (damaged) starter clutch outer shell:

A40EEDB0-AA6E-4649-8471-59FD7CA3A3B9.jpeg

BE60BEF1-13E0-4231-81EC-124ED6BBE1C1.jpeg

As well as the mating surface on the back of the flywheel which we’ll polish out a little before reassembly:

6D73ED9E-8299-4D29-ADCB-1AA3EC5B1A1E.jpeg

You can see where the rollers moved back and forth over the years. At this point, since we couldn’t move forward until new parts arrive (we have a new roller, plunger, spring kit and side cover gasket in hand but no bolts or starter clutch) we had ourselves a delicous stout from local brewery Cloudburst and moved onto a fun little project which was mounting a headlight guard Jerkhead got.

9638885E-3562-4E44-A948-400398090885.jpeg

The Emgo headlight bucket and H4 headlight we had replaced the original square unit with had very large 10 or 12mm captured nuts which we never used, instead opting to use the original headlight bolts with the factory nuts/wiring harness looms for inside the hesdlight. This posed a bit of a problem because to install the headlight guard there would be no easy way to hold these loose nuts on the inside of the bucket with the headlight already installed. We could have sourced larger bolts, but that would have required boring out a bunch of things and would’ve created a domino affect. Instead we decided to bust out the welder and just weld some captive 8mm nuts on the end of the larger nuts already welded inside of the housing. Excuse my welds, they’re certainly not the best I’ve ever done but they’re functional and no one will ever see them, except everyone who reads this thread

7FC76354-45DC-4950-AFF0-88A997F07F98.jpeg

Blue light time is always fun time! Public service announcement! Wear PPE unlike the dummy you see here. I really need to invest in another nomex welding shirt. I lost a few arm hairs in the process:

2309799D-874A-4DA3-A95D-E9E531CDE40B.png

33AA6815-D3C4-49FB-AD2D-22241396DA93.jpeg

With that out of the way on both sides we tweaked the mounting brackets for the guard with a few thoughtful bends and slotted it over the housing. Fits like a dream and looks good! We know this is more for style then actually taking a large rock roost into the center of the headlight, but it couldn’t hurt...

36A8ED10-1818-442E-8229-C1D6197ADA4D.jpeg

5F8BCF25-DACA-4447-B51B-B0028CC81BD0.jpeg

That’s all for last night. Once we get more parts in we’ll finish the starter clutch rebuild and start in on the final front suspension assembly.

Cheers Inmates and I hope you’re staying safe and sane in these interesting times!
  2. kenstone

kenstone worn out

Oddometer:
    Nice work :clap

I broke one of the headlight ears off of the top triple tree in a crash riding in snow.
    I bought these cheap headlight ears and mounted a round headlight I had in "spare parts" :D
    Frt2.jpg
    Just another option...
    :lol3
    TwinDuro likes this.
  3. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    FYI, if the starter clutch has been slipping, you likely need to replace the rollers and the gear as well. If there are ANY marks on them, the gear is suspect. If you can feel the marks, the gear is junk. In any case, don't reuse the rollers, even if they look okay. Especially don't use them if they have flat spots.

Charles.
  4. TwinDuro

TwinDuro Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks @kenstone and @ChopperCharles!

That headlight setup looks good Ken! The ‘ol Shascot is looking good too!

Copy that and thanks for the info Charles! We’ve got new rollers, springs and plungers and thankfully the gear still looks really good! The surface the rollers contact is smooth as glass and doesn’t have any marks and there’s just a slight rubbing mark on back of the gear from the bolts, but it’s smooth. Running my fingernail over everything, I can’t feel any thing that’s suspect. I’ll post a picture when we get back on it.

Like you mentioned, we won’t be reusing the old rollers but the old rollers looked good, smooth and no hurts or marks.
  5. XVII_

XVII_ n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey guys sorry to hijack this thread. New rider here and my first ride is an '83 Vt500ft. I've been having some trouble with my bike overheating, I have replaced the thermostat and flushed the radiator. the fans work and I just go the carbs cleaned, but I still have that little over heating problem. Not too bad but it gets closer to the top of the gauge then I'd care for
  6. meehowski

meehowski n00b

Oddometer:
    What is the last time head gasket was changed?

7. XVII_

XVII_ n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure. As far as I know the only work that has been done on the motorcycle has not been on the engine. Just the petcock, carbs, radiator and that's about
  8. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
  9. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    Override the fan switch. Does the temperature stay in a more normal range? If so, then you need a new switch. Very, very common problem for 1980s water-cooled Hondas.

Charles.
    TwinDuro likes this.
  10. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    TwinDuro likes this.
  11. XVII_

XVII_ n00b

Oddometer:
    How do I override the fan switch?
  12. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The temp switch is in the bottom of the radiator pull the wiring connector off the switch short the wires together and the fan should run. The wires for the fan and switch run up the frame on the right side of the rad and connect by the rad cap under the plastic cover in front of the gas tank you could also short the switch here if it's easier. If the switch is defective you don't need an oem Honda one I think some Nissans use the same switch.
  13. XVII_

XVII_ n00b

Oddometer:
    I'll get to it once I have a chance, thank you very much
    kenstone likes this.
  14. kenstone

kenstone worn out

Oddometer:
    Those switches are all over Amazon and at different temps too.
    I added a fan and switch to a dirt bike that didn't have either.
    FanSwitch.JPG
    Hose clamp is holding a ground wire, I later switched the switch out to one with 2 leads.
    Sorry for the bloviation and posting unrelated info,
    :lol3
    TwinDuro likes this.
  15. AZ Bill

AZ Bill Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just bought an '84 VT500 Ascot. I've coveted them for a while and finally caught up with a good one at a fair price.

After finding nearly nothing in terms of forum activity relating to these bikes I was happy to find this long running thread !!!!

My scooter will be strictly a pavement creature devoted to back roads and enjoying the scenery. I do most all my own work and love modding and mild customizing.
    TwinDuro and kenstone like this.
  16. aptbldr

aptbldr easy rider

Oddometer:
    It ain't heavy, it's my Ascot. :-)
    All Honda-ness aside; my Ascot's sharp looks, size, and six-speed transmission didn't compensate for a general sense of too-heavy for a five-hundred.
    TwinDuro likes this.
  17. AZ Bill

AZ Bill Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I suppose it's a bit heavy but so far when riding my sense is that the weight bias is fairly low. My KLR is about the same weight but it feels very top-heavy.
    TwinDuro likes this.
  18. 380Viking

380Viking Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We have two VT Ascots I have fixed up in the last 5 or so years, they are great bikes, one of Honda's best and that is high praise! Range is short as the tank is barely over 2 gallons and the seat is not good for long miles, but they are a very fun bike to ride and surprisingly fast. They share many parts with the Shadow which is a big help too. I have learned a lot and will share if you need some input.
    TwinDuro likes this.
  19. AZ Bill

AZ Bill Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_3642.jpeg Thanks 380Viking. My VT is pretty solid (at the moment) for a 36 year old scooter. I'm sure I'll have some questions as I go through the first few weeks of shake-down.
    [​IMG]
    Scoozi, TwinDuro and kenstone like this.
  20. SlipChip

SlipChip Adventure Commuter

Oddometer:
    Nice round headlight conversion!
    TwinDuro likes this.