Project Hand Banana

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by madrider5150, Nov 7, 2016.

1. madrider5150

madrider5150 Riding somewhere

Oddometer:
    So now the xl forum guys are saying this amount of side to side play is normal, just up and down the problem which I can't really feel any movement that way? So I'm kinda stumped again
  2. AK650

AK650 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's generally normal for the front rod to have more side play than the rear. The rear rod is the "fork"(and as such, has two separate bearings straddling the front rod), so it's going to have a lot less play on the small end of the rod. The front rod is the "knife", and only supported by a single bearing, and is bound to wobble more than the rear. I think I'd consult Aaron/Hammer before tearing in to your cases. Explain to them what you're seeing, and get a second opinion. Also, if you have a service manual, see if there's a procedure for measuring the side clearance on the big end of the rods. As expensive as having the crank worked on is, it'd be worth being damm sure that's the issue.
    johnwesley and madrider5150 like this.
  3. madrider5150

Oddometer:
    Yeah I'm not replacing something like that if it doesn't need it just doesn't make sense what else the problem could be
  4. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    pushrod length, bad lifter, rocker arm play, could be many things.
  5. madrider5150

Oddometer:
    Based on work I had done, pushrod length is fine, rockers are fine- no boltmarks, lifters were all replaced and the lifters they replaced were not collapsed as well. Plus noise isolated to front bottom end by more than 1 mechanic, top end seemed okay.
    villageidiot likes this.
  6. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    i got nothin then. i expect a little side to side on the rod, any rod really. its hard to discern whats excessive when you're not there looking and feeling.

do you have the back cylinder off?

does the crank rotate smoothly?

hows the oil pump, how are the cam surfaces?

air cooled engines are big echo chambers so noise travels. id hate to see ya do something, get it all together and still have noise, but id also hate to see ya tear it all apart and spend a bunch of needless money.
    AK650 and madrider5150 like this.
  7. madrider5150

Oddometer:
    I disassembled oil pump first, all good there. Measured side play between flywheel rod end less than .030" and yeah rotates smoothly with no discernible up and down play.. camchest isn't open yet. That's next

Attached Files:

8. madrider5150

Oddometer:
    I think I'll have to take it to an engine guy to rule out or in a crank problem. Waiting on a tool to disassemble primary too as well before pulling it from the frame
  9. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    you can pull the primary apart with basic hand tools, you can pull the clutch as a unit VS disassembling it. thats what i did when i had to dig into my trans to replace first and 3rd gear.

a snap ring, and a nut is all that holds the clutch on, then take off the crank rotor, and slide the whole primary apart. separate the clutch later.
    smolt, AK650 and madrider5150 like this.
  10. madrider5150

Oddometer:
    I ordered a block for the primary chain is all. I'm in no hurry otherwise I'd use something else.
  11. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    ratatat tat with an impact and she off.

I used a $79 ryobi from Home Depot. I did wedge a piece of 2x4 in the gear though
    smolt and madrider5150 like this.
  12. madrider5150

Oddometer:
    Good to know I've got another use for this
    20191020_214945.jpg
    Have only used it twice for the front sprocket but worked great
    villageidiot likes this.
  13. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    One of em is left hand threads.
    madrider5150 likes this.
  14. madrider5150

Oddometer:
    Disassembled and inspected the cams, cam chest, bushings and all looks good there. Spinning the crank looking for "wallow" on the main shaft per hammer showed no sign of wallow. Spins smooth with no signs of excessive play up and down. I'm again at a loss other than just taking the bottom end out and having a shop remove the crank and inspect everything for something I may have missed?

Attached Files:

villageidiot likes this.
  15. madrider5150

Oddometer:
    I had my neighbor who is a mechanic take a look and said he felt up and down play in the front rod so maybe my lack of experience with a delicate feel of play prevented me from feeling it? The disassembly continues and to hammer it will go..

Attached Files:

johnwesley and villageidiot like this.
  16. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    Gunna send it all and just put in a done motor?
  17. madrider5150

Oddometer:
    Thats what Im thinking, bottom end, pistons and cylinders, heads, rockerboxes, pushrods- while I have it there may as well have them check over everything and inspect/replace possibly damaged or suspect parts if there are any. I think I can do the cams myself and probably just have them look at rockerboxes and pushrods- do all the rest of that myself. Maybe go for the upgraded oil pump- newer with increased scavenging and the bronze oil pump drive gear. Its not gonna be cheap...
    villageidiot likes this.
  18. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    Bite the bullet and ride I say!
    madrider5150 likes this.
  19. madrider5150

Oddometer:
    I've strongly considered just shoving the thing in a corner and buying something like a super tenere, africa twin or V85 but I really want to see how good this bike can be. It was great when I had it running good this summer. Now getting the bottom end done with the heads done and get some cams in there Im pretty excited to get back on it
    JagLite, AK650 and villageidiot like this.
  20. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    ship the whole lot to hammer, bike n all fly and ride home
    JagLite and AK650 like this.