1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Project: Warthog

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by CCjon, Sep 6, 2019.

1. FLYING EYEBALL

FLYING EYEBALL out of step

Oddometer:
    you might think about your weight, gear weight, camper weight, etc. before getting carried away.

Have you looked into heavier front springs?

Do your forks have preload adjustments?

ps

Those Tar's look pretty bitchin!
  2. FLYING EYEBALL

Oddometer:
  3. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
    Raising the front will increase trail , lowering will decrease trail . Think 'steering head angle' . This is what changes slightly. trail diagram.jpg
    CCjon, davebig and rg sw wa. like this.
  4. steam powered

steam powered just a regular punk

Oddometer:
    Two inch longer forks will increase the height of the steering head by 1.7 inches.
    This will increase the steering head rake 1.5 degrees, increasing trail and steering effort
    CCjon and rg sw wa. like this.
  5. brstar

brstar Long timer

Oddometer:
    Raising the front end tends to increase trail.
    Offset plates? With stub false forks.
    To move the forks fowards.
    Then while your at it you can slide the forks down a few inches.
    I have seen the mod on Guzzi's more than anything for some reason.
    Pictures?
    Out there somewhere.
    rg sw wa. and claude stanley like this.
  6. CCjon

CCjon Gypsy Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like I'll have to go with a rake kit with extra long fork extensions then. Are all triple tree/rake kits pretty much the same quality? Or are their some brands to avoid?

This is a heavy rig with plans to ride it to Deadhorse, Alaska. Need a stout set up.

Recommendations?
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  7. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
    Check with Hannigan and Hog Halters. Whoever you call make sure to tell them it is for a sidecar outfit . There are some trees out there that are made for custom front ends on solo bikes and are not structurally up to the side loads a sidecar or trike will impose.
    CCjon, rg sw wa. and davebig like this.
  8. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
    OFFSET EXAMPLE : [​IMG]
    CCjon, rg sw wa. and brstar like this.
  9. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    CCjon likes this.
  10. Bobmws

Bobmws Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer:
    In my visualization, I failed to take into account the headstock raising ..... mea culpa...:hmmmmm:fpalm:pope
    CCjon likes this.
  11. CCjon

Oddometer:
    Kent and John from Texas Sidecars came out to see if building a subframe for the Rocket was a project they wanted to tackle. After inspecting, measuring and much discussion, they agreed that yes they would take it on. Not many Rockets have had sidecars added to them so there is not a lot of other Rocket rig knowledge to draw upon. Plus the side camper is an unusual sidecar with unique challenges.

Being that Texas Sidecars is now local for me, am sure between the three of us we'll make it all come together.

Removed the front forks in order to remove the fork cap. If we cannot find anyone with experience fabricating extensions for the 2011 Rocket, will have to have a set custom made. Several manufacturers have made triple trees with extensions for older Rockets, but not for the 2011 model. Seems there was a parts change mid-year with the 2011 Rockets. The top yoke, bottom yoke and upper fork tubes have new parts numbers. No one, so far, can tell me what the change(s) were.

DSC01333.jpg

Am not going to roll the dice for a set of triple trees just to find out they might not be compatible with this bike.

87129_399262aa03dfc77fc4fdf6dc28561a7a.jpg

Attached Files:

12. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
    Try and do the research to see what was changed in the front end. Like I said the other night....you may be able to swap trees from the other version for the rocket 3 and reduce the trail using stock parts. It would not be the first time this has been done of course but never with a rocket that I have heard of. Worth checking out anyhow. ....... There are Rocket foums on the net and facebook which may help in many ways . Or any Triumph forum may help also. .........................................On another note any good machine shop should be able to do this >>>>> No fork angle change just moving the tubes farther out. >>> [​IMG]
    GotDammitDave and CCjon like this.
  13. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
    Also any decent machine shop should be ableto spin up fork extensions if required. If you have room and the length is not impotant if too long go for it ,,.....if not maybe wait and do that last so you can determine the usable length. .....>>>> Another thought is that maybe spring spacers alone will do the job for you . Go in the right order as jumping the gun can lead to the frustration from guessing what is need before knowning.
    CCjon likes this.
  14. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
    CCjon... Jon you can have Kent call me if you or he wishes. There is a thru bolt ( threaded rod) that up front that can swapped out for a longer rod ( get through Mc Master Carr) which can be used to thread an eyenut on to for the front mount. Simple really. If you put a pinch block around the eyenut a piece of tubing can be welded to it and run down to the lower front mount for a sharing of the support up front. Obviously you will have a heavy monster when done and as I am sure you know nothing is any stronger that it's weakest point. Have fun :-)
    CCjon and FLYING EYEBALL like this.
  15. CCjon

Oddometer:
    After a 40 mile drive and $20 to a Triumph mechanic who had the right tools, the tube cap is off. Now to send it to a machinist to turn a new longer cap.

DSC01337.jpg

Is a bit more than a simple turning on a lathe. The is a center threaded portion where a threaded shaft screws into to hold the spring to the cap. Ordered Progressive fork springs and new seals for when its time to reassemble the pieces. Also ordered the correct tool so won't have to revisit the Triumph shop for reassembly.

DSC01338.jpg

Removed the forks and dumped the fork oil. The oil that came out was a bright red... transmission fluid? Anyone here use transmission fluid in their forks? What are the pros and cons?
  16. FLYING EYEBALL

Oddometer:
  17. Jimr80gs

Jimr80gs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ATF is about 10 wt if I remember correctly. Used to use in dirty bikes umpteen years ago due to ready availability.
  18. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    CCjon likes this.
  19. CCjon

Oddometer:
    Thanks Josh, checked their web page, they can make forks up to 41 mm. The Rocket forks are 60 mm.

This is my first Triumph Rocket. Not only is the horsepower and torque massive, am also learning that there is nothing flimsy about the frame and build.
    FLYING EYEBALL likes this.
  20. FLYING EYEBALL

Oddometer:
    You bet, I guess 60 may be tough to come by :lol3 It's been a bit since I've seen one in person.

Good luck with it all