1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Project: Warthog

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by CCjon, Sep 6, 2019.

1. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
  2. FLYING EYEBALL

FLYING EYEBALL out of step

Oddometer:
    this is pretty cool, from Claude's Link

[​IMG]

As the diagram above shows, this measurement of trail applies to all motorcycles big and small. The longer the trail length the slower the steering response. And opposite the shorter trail length will quicken the steering response.To determine what will work on your bike you will have to determine what your trail measurement is.Most commercially manufactured bikes set the trail between 3 and 6 inches depending on the style and model.A highway cruiser 5 to 6 inches of trail to a scrambler or off road bike 3 to 4 inches of trail. As explained on the previous page chassis modifications will change the trail.Using our raked triple tree also will affect the trail.It reduces the distance between the vertical axle line and the neck tube line.This is very important when deciding which set of trees will perform best on your frame.Realizing this we manufacture tree sets with no rake and ones with very little rake 2 1/2 & 3 3/4 degrees.This will help you create the wheel base and ride height that looks and steers best for your motorcycle.We also manufacture triple trees with more rake to accommodate frames that create a high trail measurement.[more than 6 inches].Frames with 35 degrees of neck tube angle fall into this category .The following page has some basic frame neck angle and raked tree combinations that we have experienced to work well.

Frame Neck Tube Angle/ Raked tree Combinations
    27 to 29 degree frames/ No rake to 2-1/2 degree trees

28 to 31 degree frames/ No rake to 3-3/4 degree trees

31 to 33 degree frames/ 2-1/2 to 5degree trees

34 to 36 degree frames/ 3-3/4 to 7-1/2 degree trees

37 Degree and up frames/ 7-1/2 degree trees

To ensure that your chassis is set up for the best handling ,the trail measurement should be between 3 and 6 inches.

Trike And Side car Steering
    A growing number of motorcycles, domestic and imported, are being converted into a 3 wheel chassis or are installing a side car to the frame. These motorcycles are similar in style and looks, but create a whole new challenge in steering. Adding the third wheel changes the standard trail measurements. Trail reduction is needed to offset handling irregularities created by using a third wheel. A growing number of trike and side car ride
    CCjon likes this.
  3. Prmurat

Prmurat Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ordered some triple trees for my Vmax “fits perfectly, everything mount etc etc”... of course when they arrived I had to buy some more machinist time to be able to mount the stock headlamp etc. When called they gave me the usual “ HD biker” attitude... the worst from this triple trees: the new rake angle is obtained at the fork tubes mountings and not at the stem... IMG_5812.JPG IMG_5594.JPG
    CCjon likes this.
  4. Prmurat

Prmurat Long timer

Oddometer:
    CCjon likes this.
  5. brstar

brstar Long timer

Oddometer:
    Triple trees are all offset.
    It depends on how much.
    45mm sounds close to stock.
    Maybe they are just going for more nimble handling over the standard setup?
    Or is it just bling?
    Harley does some interesting things with increased rake and reduced offset just for looks.
    But that's another thing.
  6. FLYING EYEBALL

Oddometer:
    with HD's its pretty easy

you want the lower frame rails to be sitting level from front to back

the length of the front end will determine the neck angle (rake) if you want it to ride right.
  7. BJMoose

BJMoose that trick never works

Oddometer:
    Hey where is my photo credit? :hmmmmm

I have over 6k miles on that tire and there is plenty of tread left. Also performance has been great. Dry, wet or gravel roads the front has been through it all and done very well .
    IMG_3425.jpeg
    The edges show no wear so 33% tread wear after 6k miles.
  8. CCjon

CCjon Gypsy Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    While waiting for the machinist to make the new fork caps, proceeded with a few minor projects...

Installed LED Headlamps...
    LED Headlamps.jpg

With both fork out of the way, removed the stock handlebar risers...
    Risers off.jpg

Installed new risers...
    New Risers installed.jpg

Found the throttle cables too tight so re-routed them behind the fork yokes. To accomplish that the throttle had to be removed...

Inside throttle twist.jpg

Will also have to re-position the front brake splitter as the lines are too tight.

Thought by going with a naked cruiser like the Rocket instead of a Goldwing, there would be less panels and parts to deal with. Yet seems I always end up with a box of spare parts

Box of Chrome.jpg

...pieces I'll never have a use for.

Box of parts.jpg

Always think, well when the project is complete, I'll sell the excess. But in reality the boxes end up in the warehouse, gathering dust...

Finally the NEW FORK CAPS ARRIVED.... time to install them.
    masegraves, davebig, Bobmws and 3 others like this.
  9. CCjon

Oddometer:
    With the new extended fork caps in hand, time to put the Rocket back on two wheels.

New old cap & tools.jpg

Getting the old caps off required a longer cheater bar, but they finally came off.

Fork Caps.jpg

The machinist did a good job making the new caps, 2" longer, exactly what I asked for. Though at first he didn't drill the 9mm cross hole as he saw no purpose for it. Then I explained it was the only way to hold the cap tight so it would screw onto the folk center shaft.

Reading instructions.jpg

The gentleman who sold me the Rocket included the Triumph shop manual, A godsend. The large O-ring tool is needed to compress the spring and tighten the jam nut against the new cap. Impossible to do this without that tool, $49 at Bike Bandit. Went with ATF 10w oil for the forks, OEM is 5w fork oil.

The ring tool comes with a spring holder, also indispensable to re-assemble the forks. While the forks were off, ordered heavier duty Progressive springs for the front.

Fork plate.jpg

With both forks complete, now to install them on the bike.

Both Forks ready.jpg

Yes, grounds clearance has been increased and the bike is almost level again.

Now to make a bracket to relocated the front brake line splitter.

Was bored waiting for the new forks caps so cut out a new mudflap for the front fender. A Lowes $4.99 waste basket has the right thickness and flexibility for making mudflaps and wind guards for the handlebars.

Level side photo.jpg

Now to pull the sidecamper in to remove the Vstrom and get the Warthog ready for a subframe. Did I mention this was going to be a s-l-o-w winter project???????

Later...
  10. CCjon

Oddometer:
    The Warthog was ready for test ride.... Oh my God, what monster torque and power. It begs for a throttle roll on....
    I may never get higher than third gear when the camper is attached.

Now to fetch the Blue Beast to start the transfer of the side camper over...

Warthog is ready.jpg

Last trip for the Beast was to Alaska, 2018, here looking relaxed at the Brazos Bluff overlook on Hwy 64 in New Mexico.

Beast at Hwy 64 overlook.jpg

Once the Beast was on the lift, removing the tub was easy.

Tub is Off.jpg

All four corners of the garage are occupied. SO wants to know when she can bring her car back in... I'm working on it, Honey.

Parts in four corners.jpg

Am stripping the extra odds-n-ends off the beast before putting it up for sale. Is a good solid tug still, I just wanted more power for pushing the wind with the camper tub.

Kent and John with Texas Sidecars came over to study, measure and discuss options for mounting the side camper to the Warthog. Since it will be another couple of weeks before they will have room in their shop for this project, I'll focus on the Beast.

Looks kind of lonely now... this Vstrom 1000 has serve me well as it will the next owner. Am stripping off all the little extras we hang on a rig, PVC Tube for the camera tripod, GPS mounts, iPhone mount, 12 volt outlets, wiring for tub lights, etc, etc.

The two known issues with this model were addressed and upgraded: the clutch basket and the clutch slave cylinder.

Beast sans Tub.jpg

Claude Stanley built a very robust subframe and leading link front for the Beast, with six pot Hayabusa calipers. Stroker built the aluminum wheels. Am running the same size car tire front and back.

Leadinglink car tire.jpg

Ain't that rear wheel a purty sight?

Rear tire chain.jpg

Now I have a dilemma, do I try to sell the tug as is, sans sidecar, OR look for a cheap sidecar to mount up and let the next owner decide how they want to build it out? Any opinions?

Will finish cleaning up the Vstrom, then decide. Anybody looking for a RTW Adventure tug?

Until Texas Sidecars is ready, nothing more will happen with the Warthog.

Hmmm... before it under goes the knife, maybe the Rocket needs to be road tested....
  11. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    I'd try selling without a chair first, any idea what you want for it ?
  12. CCjon

Oddometer:
    SWAG Values:
    Leading link forks.... $2000 - 4000
    Robust subframe... $2000 -3000
    Custom Wheels... $1800 - 2200
    Used 2007 Vstrom 1000... kbb says $4000
    Plus lots of other mods and additions that cost too much new and are worth little used...

Will post up a photo with all the plastic parts and pieces back on, might even wash the bike.

At the risk of having everyone ask "What's wrong with it?" ( Nothing! ), will put this highly modified work horse tug out there for $5000.
  13. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    Thats a very fair deal and a exceptional start on a adv sidecar setup :-)
    FLYING EYEBALL likes this.
  14. FLYING EYEBALL

Oddometer:
    Jan,

Where about are you exactly (for shipping) and how long could you possibly store the Beast?

Thanks
  15. CCjon

Oddometer:
    Am in Northwest Houston, Texas. Storage is not a problem. We have a self storage unit we use for company files. Since it has two car tires and is set up for sidecar duty, I would not recommend trying to ride it any distance as a solo. It has no side stand or center stand, is a sidecar tug pure and simple.

Have already received a first on the list of "I want it". Can add your name in the second spot if you want.
  16. CCjon

Oddometer:
    Decided to clean the Vstrom K&N air filter while cleaning up everything else.

Air filter out to clean.jpg

Cleaned up the electrical area. Forgot to mention the Strom has the PowerCommander.

Electrical area.jpg

Here is a view of the left side of the Vstrom.

Strom left view.jpg

Once the air filter is dry and re-oiled. Will start putting all the pieces back on.
    Cleaning the Vstrom.jpg

Bike is currently tagged and inspected.
  17. FLYING EYEBALL

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads up Jan, Maybe I'll be ready for it when the next owner (Kipster, BBB?) sells.
  18. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Ha! That drudged up an old memory. I bought a 2003 DL1000 and was one of the first guys to install a Power Commander. Took it down to the dyno shop and worked up a fairly decent map. Posted the map online (I was pretty active on the VSRI forum) and over the next couple of years I got so many thumbs up and "You da man!" comments from guys who used my map (without the expense of the dyno!) Had totally forgotten about that. Thanks for the memory.

Here it is in 2008 getting parted out after it chucked me off at 60mph. I suffered a broken shoulder . . . the mulie escaped unharmed!

Partout-080824-4.JPG
    MGV8, davebig, We're Here and 5 others like this.
  19. CCjon

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the good advice guys, the Vstrom Beast was carefully loaded into a cargo van and is now on its way to a new home in Kentucky. Thanks BBB. Hope it brings you as many miles of pleasure as it did for me.
  20. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Round trip completed , will commence unloading the hoard tomorrow . I'm pretty sure there's enough countershaft sprockets to last through the entire 21st century and seats as well.
    Now , to live my own dreams for once.