Project: Warthog

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by CCjon, Sep 6, 2019.

1. draperg1

draperg1 PapaBear Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did you end up with a steering mod, or did I miss it?
    FLYING EYEBALL and brstar like this.
  2. CCjon

CCjon Gypsy Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    No steering mods, went with a slightly smaller diameter rear tire on the front and a larger diameter car tire on the rear.

We'll see how many miles we can get out of the front tire, then make the call.
    rg sw wa., draperg1, Bobmws and 2 others like this.
  3. CCjon

Oddometer:
    Yesterday the Warthog visited the welding shop for auxiliary fuel tank mounts.
    A shelf and tab were added for the rear rack.

Welding aux rack rear.jpg

Then welded tabs on for the front mount

Welding Front rack.jpg

The finished racks installed and sturdy. Each will carry a NATO 10 liter fuel can, oops, I mean a non-potable water can.... with locking top strap. That gives the rig a total 16 gallons of fuel in four separate tanks for that last 245 mile stretch between Coldfoot and Deadhorse, Alaska.

Finished welding both racks.jpg

Since we didn't light the rig on fire or burn the battery nor electronics with the welding, swung the rig by the local temple for incense burning.

Local retreat.jpg

Still have a few more tweaks to make yet. After test riding two hundred miles over the past week, ordered 5 degree triple trees and a taller windshield. Will be the end of June before those are in hand and installed.

That gives me time to plot a longer route from Key West to Prudhoe Bay, going up the eastern seaboard to tag a few states we're missing on the map before heading across the upper midwest to tag the two flattest provinces in Canada.
  4. CCjon

Oddometer:
    After long consideration, in May ordered a set of 5 degree triple trees for the Warthog. With the reduced staffing due to C-19 virus, trees finally arrived in July.

Ordered other upgrades to address known weaknesses in the Rocket 3, the battery cables and the windscreen. Seems everything takes longer to received this year, the new normal?

AS pieces arrived started the installation. First electrical...
    IMG_2604.jpg
    Ripped out the previous work to reroute and install the cable upgrade and aux fuse block.

IMG_2608.jpg

In cleaning and connecting wiring, a plastic sheath covering the ignition wires was brittle and crumbling. When removed, it exposed this.... Yellow Wire.jpg
    Now why would there be a 1/2 inch gap in this wire? Did the factory remove this section on purpose?
    Asking the electrical experts on the R3 site, they say that wire energizes the gauges, there should be no gap. The factory cuts all the wires in that bundle the same length, at least they should. Someone at the factory cut this wire too short putting all the strain from that wiring bundle onto one wire. That might explain why numerous R3 owners are having sudden starting issues, if factory cut more than one wire too short.

With that sorted, next the trees
    IMG_2620.jpg

Am happy with the quality of the new trees. Thicker, heavy duty, machined to perfectly fit. The fact that they use steel pinch bolts that thread into a steel plug and not into aluminum, for tightening the clamp is a well thought out design. Also the closing gap does not open to the outside is a stronger design over the OEM.

With everything on the front removed, the rig is ready for new trees. Yes, new steering bearings were installed as well. A local industrial supply house had the exact bearing needed.

IMG_2624.jpg

With a larger diameter front tire, the new trees really kick out the front. Warthog is getting as long as it is wide.
    Steering is easier but not loose. Still undecided if a damper will be needed. After the test ride, the new windscreen was mounted.
    IMG_2630.jpg

Now to put a couple hundred miles on it before deciding if any other mods are needed. Am not getting accurate fuel level readings, but the R3 people say that is normal when a bike has been off battery for a few weeks.

Now for some humor to brighten your day.... first for our HD friends

89D7B710-7012-4101-B3A8-B00DDA65EC0F.jpg

The 2300cc Rocket 3 has 146 HP, stock off the showroom floor. I paid $4500 for this used 2011 Roadster model.

And for those thinking about riding in Colorado, a typical road warning sign...

loose gravel.jpg

UNDER the words: Loose Gravel, it says " Motorcycles use caution".

:pope good luck getting over that gravel.
  5. spoon

spoon Rubber's gone!

Oddometer:
    What is your new fuse block?
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  6. CCjon

Oddometer:
    Sorry Spoon, can not tell you, there is no name on the block. It was in my miscellaneous electrical parts/wiring/switches/fuses/bulbs box.
    rg sw wa. and brstar like this.
  7. spoon

spoon Rubber's gone!

Oddometer:
    Ok, thanks.
  8. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    DRONE, CCjon and rg sw wa. like this.
  9. 54vintage

54vintage Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Coming late to the party....Holy smokes what a rig!! And I thought mine was big. Very Cool!!
    rg sw wa., CCjon and FLYING EYEBALL like this.
  10. robtg

robtg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Needs dual rear wheels on the tug.
    SLACKER, rg sw wa., draperg1 and 3 others like this.
  11. CCjon

Oddometer:
    Now that would be a unique sidecar rig... with a dually rear end.
    rg sw wa. and norton(kel) like this.
  12. High Octane

High Octane Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, like a trike with a sidecar.
    rg sw wa. and norton(kel) like this.
  13. draperg1

draperg1 PapaBear Supporter

Oddometer:
    Would probably have to meet auto safety standards, collapsible bumpers, seatbelts, airbags etc.
    :dirtdog
    rg sw wa., brstar and robtg like this.
  14. Bobmws

Bobmws Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer:
    Dodge Tomahawk concept:
    [​IMG]
    CCjon and robtg like this.
  15. mr.spui

mr.spui Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bobmws, brstar and CCjon like this.
  16. CCjon

Oddometer:
    mr.spui, very interesting that the BROUGH was built with the idea it would be for sidecar duty.

Am positive I'm not ready to foot the bill to build a Rocket 3 copy of the Brough concept. However if there are any deep pocket innovators interested in pursuing the idea, am willing to offer a project bike to try it on.
    Bobmws, rg sw wa. and brstar like this.
  17. CCjon

Oddometer:
    Yeah, well... have been unfaithful. Last few months hiding out from the virus and was riding the other rig up in the Rocky Mountains of New Mexico.

IMG_3020.jpeg

IMG_2965.jpeg

Today am back in Texas, getting ready to take the Warthog for a shakedown run to our Fall regional sidecar rally in Uncertain, TX. Roughly 600 miles round trip, will sleep in the camper for four nights. Weather is looking good.
    Full report to follow.
    jcwvfr, MGV8, masegraves and 14 others like this.
  18. CCjon

Oddometer:
    The Warthog evolves and grows fatter...
    After bottoming out several times with the new Progressive 444 rear shocks, 13", Heavy Duty springs, ( stock are 12 1/2") and getting many questions about how much the rig weighs, ordered a shipping scales to weigh her.

Front w/o rider 461#, w/ rider 543 # = 32%

Sidecar 317 # = 19%

Rear w/o rider 677 #, w/rider 847 # = 49%

Am estimating total rig weight with rider and gear to weigh in for worlds heavyweight class, at 1850 lbs, or 839 kg. Those Progressive shocks are not going to cut it. Make a call to Klaus at EPM for some custom Hyperpro shocks.

IMG_2603.jpeg
  19. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Klaus specializes in using progressive springs on his Hyperpros.

Wondering if a single-rated spring isn't called for in this situation?

Be interesting to hear what he has to say.
    CCjon, davebig and draperg1 like this.
  20. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is a bit of a heavy girl. Just went over the scales with mine and it was 638 kg with me and all my gear. I haven't put it on the scales at home yet but now I am curious as to the distribution fully loaded.
    BJMoose and CCjon like this.