Project: Warthog

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by CCjon, Sep 6, 2019.

1. draperg1

draperg1 PapaBear

Oddometer:
    Did you end up with a steering mod, or did I miss it?
    FLYING EYEBALL and brstar like this.
  2. CCjon

CCjon Gypsy Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    No steering mods, went with a slightly smaller diameter rear tire on the front and a larger diameter car tire on the rear.

We'll see how many miles we can get out of the front tire, then make the call.
  3. CCjon

CCjon Gypsy Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yesterday the Warthog visited the welding shop for auxiliary fuel tank mounts.
    A shelf and tab were added for the rear rack.

Welding aux rack rear.jpg

Then welded tabs on for the front mount

Welding Front rack.jpg

The finished racks installed and sturdy. Each will carry a NATO 10 liter fuel can, oops, I mean a non-potable water can.... with locking top strap. That gives the rig a total 16 gallons of fuel in four separate tanks for that last 245 mile stretch between Coldfoot and Deadhorse, Alaska.

Finished welding both racks.jpg

Since we didn't light the rig on fire or burn the battery nor electronics with the welding, swung the rig by the local temple for incense burning.

Local retreat.jpg

Still have a few more tweaks to make yet. After test riding two hundred miles over the past week, ordered 5 degree triple trees and a taller windshield. Will be the end of June before those are in hand and installed.

That gives me time to plot a longer route from Key West to Prudhoe Bay, going up the eastern seaboard to tag a few states we're missing on the map before heading across the upper midwest to tag the two flattest provinces in Canada.