Proposed Colorado FS and other trail closings that WILL affect you.

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by jjmead1, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I wish I was joking, but I think that is the plan overall.

I would love to see them go after the Army and AF facilities. That would be a fun fight to watch unfold.
  2. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is crazy, but it looks like a done deal. The FS settled with Earth Justice and not only lost all the trails which will have to de shut down and deleted from the mvum in the next 12 months, but also has the insult of having to pay $150,000+ to Earth Justice in legal fees.

How is it possible that Cohvco has not commented on this or have any statement on their website since they are a co defendant?
  3. dmac1

dmac1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I understand the emotion, but not everything will be closed in 12 months. I've tried to provide lots of details, see my previous posts.

The trails in EXHIBIT B are closed in the next 12 months. NOT everything in Exhibit A.

I do wonder why we haven't heard about this previously....I figured I missed it but maybe not. I just checked COHVCO's website and it is on there, but the info appears outdated cuz it talks about the suit being in the discovery phase.
  4. dmac1

dmac1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It IS the plan overall!!! UN Agenda 21. Keep us in the cities worldwide and thereby manage population growth at a sustainable level. Check the UN's website. It was updated a couple months ago and I think given a new name.

I'm glad you saw the maps....Army and AF facilities along with private land and others are exempted. More details in the website links.
    RockyMtnScotsman likes this.
  5. RockyMtnScotsman

RockyMtnScotsman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I saw this on another board and passing it along, it might need it's own thread?

COHVCO economic contribution study

**ACTION ALERT** We need your input for the next COHVCO economic contribution study!!!! This study is our best tool for preserving access.

COHVCO and its partners are undertaking a complete review of its economic contribution study for motorized recreation in Colorado that was originally prepared in 2001. As many of you know, the economic contributions from our sport are critically important in the fight against Wilderness proposals, development of plans for the management of federal public lands and insuring that motorized access remains on public lands.

As part of this study, we are asking for the public to fill out a short questionnaire about spending on their most recent motorized trips. Simply click the link below for the appropriate category of study(atv/sidebyside/motorcycle or 4x4 fullsize or snowmobile). Filing out this questionnaire will only take a couple of minutes but it is critically important!!!

If you have multiple types of vehicles please fill out each appropriate category with the appropriate information and if you frequently go out of state for motorized opportunities please note that as well!

Motorcycle, Side by Side and ATV users https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/DNNJY9T

4x4/Jeep questionnaire
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/LBK2XZK

Snowmobile
    in the works right now

We hope to have the study completed in approximately one year. We are also asking you to share this request with all your friends.
    dmac1 likes this.
  6. dmac1

dmac1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good find! Seems like a separate thread with the title appropriately named will get the most attention.

I talked to TPA about the settlement. Short version....what I've said is correct. The FS has one year to do its study on all the trails and they expect to prevail on all the Exhibit A trails. Possibly some of the 16 miles of Exhibit B will be lost, possibly some new stuff will be gained. There will be a meeting tomorrow with FS and BRC is flying in.

If you want to do anything to help, there will be public meetings where we can, and will need to, voice our opinions. This is sorta related to the Scotsman's post, but different. I think a key will be, for those of us who attend the meetings, to be respectful and to have our facts straight. Donations to COHVCO, TPA, BRC (or whomever you favor) are critical to keeping our trails open. If I got the number right, there are about 600 COHVCO members. THATS IT!!! Prolly far less for TPA. 'We' are fighting some well funded entities on a shoestring budget.
  7. RockyMtnScotsman

RockyMtnScotsman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Done! Maybe a Mod can make it sticky to maximize exposure.
    MaNDan likes this.
  8. dmac1

dmac1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will provide info of action we can take.

We'll have to attend meetings, and communicae with the 6 forest service areas and provide comments. The more involvement we can muster the better for sure.
  9. grizCP

grizCP RMTA

Oddometer:
    Here are the 2012 financials for the Center for Biological Diversity - just ONE of the opponents of motorized access to pretty much all of Earth. The previous 8 pages list donors... 55 entities gave more than $10,000. How in the hell can the moto industry/enthusiasts match this? I can only help with measly $20 donations, trail work, filling out surveys, and emailing comments to ranger districts and legislators. We need KTM and energy-drink levels of money and influence. OR... we need the USFS/BLM/Dept of Interior to have an influx of people with multi-use access mindedness in positions of influence and the gumption to tell these green organizations to pound sand when they threaten lawsuits and judges to back them up. How did we get to a place in time where you can sue the USFS anyway?

[​IMG]
  10. MaNDan

MaNDan 'Old Japanese cycles & '26Chevy truck

Oddometer:
    It's pretty hard to go against the other side with an $6 million budget. But we have to give it our best try and work with the sensible folks at the Forest Service and other organizations.

As one step, how about the OP and/or mods, renaming this thread to something more descriptive and appropriate for the subject matter? Key words: Colorado, proposed trail closures, law suits, FS, etc.
  11. AlH

AlH Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used to do volunteer trail maintenance for the USFS. I finally came to the conclusion, if it was up to them, nobody would set foot or wheel in THEIR forests.
    Final straw was when we tried to get additional trail mileage adjacent to an existing trail system. It was denied as being environmentally damaging.
    A year later they commercially logged that piece of land. Like OHV trails would have done worse than that?
  12. dmac1

dmac1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My thoughts exactly Dan. Once we get marching orders from TPA, my thoughts were to create an entirely new thread that will hopefully attract everyone's attention. Something along the lines of, "500 Miles of CO trails threatened, need help"

Here is a letter from TPA to the forest supervisor of the Pike/San Isabel National forest.

http://coloradotpa.org/news/news/psi-lawsuit.html
    MaNDan likes this.
  13. cjw25

cjw25 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I live in boulder, we affectionately refer to Open Space as Closed Space.
  14. dmac1

dmac1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used to have the same view as you, but recent developments have caused me to see things differently.
    AbeWhat, singletrackslayer and MaNDan like this.
  15. dmac1

dmac1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    In addition to moto, I ride mtn bikes....chapped my butt big time when the peoples republic of boulder instituted a fee at 'their' trailheads for nonresidents of boco. But they can come to the rest of the state for free. Eff them...and their closed space. You oughta move.
    singletrackslayer likes this.
  16. jjmead1

jjmead1 now THAT"S a bike!

Oddometer:

Done
    MaNDan likes this.
  17. cjw25

cjw25 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jefferson County has the better mountain biking anyways. The better mtb in Boulder is up Nederland, West Magnolia, Blue Dot. And shit, we didn't have any mtb below ~6,000' until 4 years ago.

Since I don't have to pay the fee I did a quick search: Sounds like only the city charges a fee at some [over congested] trailheads. Keep Boulder City Open Space separated from Boulder County Open Space. Two different beasts. So I think fees are just the stuff in the flats right around boulder, FlagStaff, Blue Stem, Dowdy Draw (anything at either end of the Mesa Trail). Mt Sanitas has no fee. All this stuff is hiking only. Walker Ranch Loop at top of Flagstaff I believe is fee free (good mtb ride).

http://www.bouldercounty.org/apps/newsarchive/templates/bc12.aspx?articleid=1861&zoneid=1

and list of fee trailheads:
    https://bouldercolorado.gov/osmp/open-space-parking-permits-and-fees

If you want to ride Marshall Mesa, as an inmate, you can park in my driveway, half a mile away....we eat bacon, its ok.

p.s. been here 28 years. hope to retire elsewhere. boulder has its pro's and con's.

I have preebles mouse habitat at my place. working with the county is always humorous; "you know I have two outdoor cats and a Pharaoh hound?"
    AbeWhat likes this.
  18. _CJ

_CJ Rugged Individualist

Oddometer:
  19. dmac1

dmac1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the offer for the parking spot! I used to like Hall Ranch alot, Still dabble with the JeffCo trails when I can...they are great. I loved what Boulder did on the one 4 lane road....turned 2 lanes of it into a super wide bike lane. Epic fail...last I saw they were turning it back into a 4 lane road for vehicles due to massive congestion. LOL!!! Ranks right up there with them trying to toll US 36 through town to keep everyone out.

Hope you find a good place to retire.
  20. dmac1

dmac1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is interesting. As usual, they are up against the Wilderness Society and the Sierra Club. Interesting that IMBA is against it. BTW.....I've suggested to BRC that they try to get IMBA to work with us and they said they have, but IMBA generally not interested.