Protests Honduras

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Lostmike, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Lostmike

Lostmike Cruising

Oddometer:
    Hey guys n gals if you don’t know already there are widespread ongoing protests throughout the country at the moment. Roads and towns are being blockaded. Info is conflicting and hard to come by. We are holed up in Utilia till things calm down. Be careful if your coming through. A few locals have told us not to try getting through at the moment for what it’s worth.
    JimsBeemer likes this.
  2. JimsBeemer

JimsBeemer 2017 R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    Good luck. Utila is not a bad place to ride it out, the bay islands are usually unaffected by that stuff, from what we were told. We (wife and I) came through Honduras in early May when there was some protests that were sort of a preamble to the current ones (same issues). Another couple we know got stopped at a roadblock in La Ceiba for a good part of a day, but we were in Utila at the time, and I asked some locals about the protest, they honestly did not seem to know anything about it.

Hope it calms down enough to safely continue, and soon!
    Lostmike likes this.
  3. Lostmike

Lostmike Cruising

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate, yeah we aren't too upset about being marooned here. We've even got our bike here so are pretty sorted. Might have a go at doing a border run later in the week. Its a pretty magical place alright. Diving is top notch. I think the only problems the protests will cause here is if the beer runs out!
    JimsBeemer likes this.
  4. Lostmike

Lostmike Cruising

Oddometer:
    I forgot to say if anyone has any up to date info or contacts that would be great, we've checked all the usual sources. Looking at doing a run from Utilia straight through San Pedro Sula to the border. Unfortunately when you ask around the tour offices and companies here for info they pretty much just all contradict each other. Not really their fault with things changing from hour to hour.
    tam162 likes this.
  5. markharf

markharf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rely on bus and collectivo drivers; they usually know better than their bosses or the people in tour agencies, they talk to each other, and their information stays very current. As you say, when things are changing hour by hour, you have to be prepared to go (or change plans and stay) on moment's notice, since the moment might soon be over.

You probably already know that, but I'm offering in case it's helpful.

Mark
    SkizzMan and Lostmike like this.
  6. Lostmike

Lostmike Cruising

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the suggestion, we just found a contact for a bus driver on the mainland so will see how that goes, its a bit complicated because we need to get a ferry to the mainland as well, but no big dramas. Pretty relaxing here. Cheers again
  7. Lostmike

Lostmike Cruising

Oddometer:
    Made it to Copan from La Ceiba today. Lots of signs of recent fires, rock barriers, road blocks etc etc but had a clean run through. Apparently all is well at the moment as we had friends who have made it to Nicaragua border with no issues as well.
  8. BIGCOD

BIGCOD the desert ninja

Oddometer:
    Hey Lostmike do you know how things are in Honduras now? Im just waiting to cross into Belize then heading to Utila for some diving! Who did you use? can you recommend a good shop with cheap accommodation? Was it worth it to take the bike over? I was planned on just leaving it locked up in the ferry carpark with bike cover as was only planning 4-5days on the island. Where abouts are you now? Im just resting in Chetamul and will cross the border tomorrow