proud new owner has questions?!

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by wesfnw, Jun 17, 2004.

1. wesfnw

wesfnw portland,or

Oddometer:
    Thats right & I DO MEAN PROUD!
    coming off an R1100gs & most recently a Vstrom. I took delivery today of a Black 950!

I just fiddled around with it this evening in the garage, &
    went thru the manuals.
    I have a couple o questions:

If I run regular gas should I unplug that connector under the seat. Should I run regular or premium? (gas prices ya know)

How do I get to those two acc plugs :behind the headlight cover" (I need to hook-up my 8500)

Look forward to taking advantage of all of your vast knowledge.

wes in portland,or :thumb
  2. seh750

seh750 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I do believe the manual calls for premium.

Take off the upper side panels (5 screw each). Take off the windscreen (6 screws). Take off the headlight (coupla tabs and one electrical connection). They are behind the headlight and clearly marked "ACC1" and "ACC2". I have heated grips and a battery tester running off of the switched one and a socket for my GPS on the non-switched one.

Good luck and enjoy!
  3. BigTwin

BigTwin Adventure Hound

Oddometer:
    Hey Wes,
    You want to leave that fuel grade connection plugged together and run premium gas. If you want to save money, run regular gas in your cars but run premium in the bike.

Like Stephen said, the best way to get at the 2 acc. plugs is to remove the headlight, but first remove the right side upper fairing and see if that alone doesn't get you access to them. It may save you a little time.
  4. munichboy

munichboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got to mine only removing the upper right fairing. You need 95 Octane fuel or better I think - over here they also sell the rubbish 91 Octane stuff which I think would mean changing the wires as per the manual.
  5. Flanny

Flanny Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer:
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the World, the Universe

You can leave the plug connected..

Basically the threshold of 95 posted in the manual referres to the Research Octane...Which is the only indicator of octane used in Europe.

Here in North America, we post "Pump Octane", which is (R + M)/2, or Research Octane plus Motor Octane divided by two...Motor Octane Numbers is a different testing standard than Research Octane, and produces numbers lower than Research (Something like 86 or 87). So with a Research Octane of 95, and Motor Octane of 86, you get Pump Octane of 91.
  6. AntWare

AntWare Lost In Translation

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the new ride mate :thumb

Right side cover only gets you in. The two are numbered ACC1 & ACC2, as are the fuses in the little compartment on top of the tank.

One is powered all the time and the other is powered only when the ignition key is turned on, (can't remember which is which but I'm sure somebody will be along in a minute that does).

Check the load rating for your 8500, you may have to change the fuse out.

Good luck
  7. wesfnw

wesfnw portland,or

Oddometer:
    There you go...I posted a couple of technical questions,and
    less than 24 hours later I have the expertise of KTM950 owners from all over the world at my disposal!!!
    Germany, Canada, USA and...an ANT from god knows where answered my questions.
    To a good ole boy originally from south Georgia...I'm overwhelmed.
    I truly appreciate the help.
    Wes :freaky
  8. jimbes

jimbes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Right, ACC1 is switched, ACC2 is unswitched. I replaced my 2 fuses with a 1amp for my Valentine 1 on the switched, and a 2A on ACC2 for my Garmin 176C (a 1.5A fuse is not made as far as I can tell). It's easiest to take both side panels off to get to them. BE REALLY CAREFUL NOT TO PINCH ANY FUEL LINES WHEN PUTTING IT BACK TOGETHER!! Be especially careful when putting the right side back on. The "sockets" are tie-wrapped tightly on the right side to the right/behind the headlight.