Prudhoe Bay, Alaska 2010

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by dreamtour, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Graftyman

Graftyman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I ran into GSTouring at Bell 2 on the Cassier today, He said he group got turned around at the Brooks range due to ice.

Probably gone by now.

Ran into 5Dinks in Hyder last night. I passed a whole bunch of people heading south, not many heading north.

I'm in Watson lake and heading to Dawson City tomorrow. I assume it will rain :)
  2. Italiaphile

Italiaphile Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I stayed there on the way to Prudhoe Bay in 2008 and agree completely. Four of us had a large, two story cabin with shower and kitchenette for less than a room in Coldfoot costs. Plus there were homemade pancakes for breakfast!
  3. toz35

toz35 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In Fairbanks now, probably leave for Prudhoe tomorrow morning. It's been raining here since I arrived friday night. Weather should be better this week although not very sunny. Planning on 4 days but I have little experience with off pavement riding and may be slow, we'll see.
  4. Graftyman

Graftyman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got back into Fairbanks this evening. I think the road was in great condition. There were some nasty construction zones but those changed how nasty they were every hour. On my way back I watched the Pilot truck almost get stuck in the deep mud. Not sure how I made it through.

Deadhorse was really cold last night. Temps in the mid 30's with a good wind blowing.

The Dalton broke my Twisted Throttle light bar and broke a weld on my Happy Trails SU rack. I also can't breath for crap.

Ran into the Aerostich tour crew at the Yukon River, some of them were hell bent on taking off. The ones I talked to I explained they only had 120 miles to go. Most of it paved so take your time and take pictures.

Coldfoot was a muddy mess on my way up but hard packed with a few puddles today. I guess such is the Dalton it changes constantly.

Ohh and let me say, now that I have been, there is no reason ever to go back to Deadhorse. It has less to offer then Goose Bay/Happy Valley.

Ride safe, there were a good amount of people heading north when I was heading south. There are 4 other bikes here at UAF. Not sure what their plans are, but I'm taking a day off and resting before heading South then East.
  5. AKtracks

AKtracks Kilted Fükengrüver

Oddometer:
    Hey Graftyman,

Mind sharing some of those pictures you took while we were on your bike so I could add them to our website?
  6. Graftyman

Graftyman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On their way to your email.

For those looking at this post in the future, have not a question in your mind to do tires, maint, break fix stuff with Dan and Shawn(AKTRACKS). I haven't let a shop touch a single bike of mine in over 10 years (that was because that one was under warranty). They are great, know their stuff and are great guys to boot.

They even tolerate fast talking people from Massachusetts.

Here is a picture of the General Store.

[​IMG]

Prudhoe Bay 2:00 p.m. June 17th 2010
  7. toz35

toz35 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have to agree. The only reason I have to go back is if my girlfriend feels she needs to see Deadhorse and then I will do it on a hack.
  8. squirley

squirley punk in drublic

Oddometer:
    Just got home to Vegas, did the Dalton over the 7th and 8th and stayed at the arctic caribou, it was expensive. Got in there at 3:00 am and it was 28 degrees with a stiff side wind. A big change from 82 at the arctic circle sign. Adventure Cycleworks was class act, cool guys. Great knowledge of the area and just all around down to earth good people. On the contrary I stopped by the bmw dealer on my way back to get some chain lube. I asked if they had anything besides chain wax as I dont really like it for whatever reason and had to listen to a whole disertation on how its the best and we dont understand from the lower 48 blah blah blah. I got the honda brand and left shakin my head. The road was in good shape, pretty slick when it's slick and good when it's good. Top of the world highway was awesome as well, loved it. I also camped in TOK at Thompsons eagle claw. I am so glad I did. The owners ride and are very cool. They had all the stuff there for an oil change so I knocked that out next to the fire drinking a cold beer on a perfect night. If you are planning on camping near the border, that's the place. Saw a few adventure guys out and all were very nice and friendly. Great trip for me and I would do it again tomorrow, but good to be home after a month. Also burned through my TKC in only a couple thousand miles, maybe just under. Stopped at cycle north in prince george to see about a tire. The only one they had in stock was a dunlop front. The girl working there was named kourtney and was coming to vegas for a wedding so I told her all the ins and outs, where to go and where to stay. She then gave me the tire for free! I stopped down the road and spooned it on, wow those sidewalls are tough! So a TKC on the front and a dunlop cruiser on the rear and made it home without a problem. Good luck to those going, you will have a great ride as I did!
  9. squirley

squirley punk in drublic

Oddometer:
    Hopefully these will keep you exited to go. I thought getting ready for the trip was fun, but the trip was way better! :lol2

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]
  10. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hmmm... a new Arctic entry. That will add comfort in the winter winds. :thumb
  11. Alcan Rider

Oddometer:
    My favorite stretch on the whole Dalton Hwy. Ya jest don't wanna meet a truck through there. :eek1

:rofl
  12. bergsteigen

bergsteigen One continent at a time.

Oddometer:
    Squirly, nice pics. Sent a mild shiver looking at the snow while sitting here near LA, in my shorts on the couch, sipping on a cup of coffee, getting ready to go riding on the trails with some friends today.
  13. ADVBMR

ADVBMR Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Anybody leaving Anchorage on Thursday, or Fairbanks on Friday for Deadhorse?
  14. Alcan Rider

Oddometer:
    Look to be leaving Fairbanks on Tuesday or Wednesday AM for a leisurely, photo-shooting trip. Planning on being back down to Wiseman on Friday. But weather forecasts are favorable, which is important for photos, as well as for riding comfort.
  15. AKtracks

AKtracks Kilted Fükengrüver

Oddometer:
    I told you that you'd love that area...some of the best pics in the world, especially at night, facing 90 degrees to your left.
  16. squirley

squirley punk in drublic

Oddometer:

You were very correct sir! Thanks again for the service and info! It was a great trip! I wish I could turn around and do it again. Let me know next time your in Vegas, we will do a death valley run!
  17. ADVBMR

ADVBMR Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Hey Jack,

I'll be on my way up so I'll look for you in Wiseman on Friday. Tell the construction crews to lay off the water for a couple of days, will ya?

Roger
  18. JeffinTD

JeffinTD Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm chillin at the Super 8 off Airport way in Fairbanks now, and hope to hit the road north on the 13th (I'll just stay in Coldfoot if the highway is still closed).

Anyone up here on a similar schedule?
  19. AKBMW

AKBMW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i am rolling up on the 15th.. Should be leaving Fairbanks @ 8am...
  20. bergsteigen

bergsteigen One continent at a time.

Oddometer:
    I too am "chillin" at the only place I could find in Fairbanks tonight - a psycho B&B for stuffed animals and evil clowns at an ungodly price. At least the shower is smoking hot and the bed comfortable. Oh yeah, the towels are clean too.

Decided to stay hear tonight as my buddy and I have been traveling on the road for the last few weeks. Seemed appropriate before taking off to Prudhoe. Wash the mosquito repellent off, clean the grease out of the hair, get a good scrubbing. Heard the Swedish bikini team will be in Prudhoe Bay in a few days.

Heading to Adventure Cycleworks (http://www.advcycleworks.com/) tomorrow morning to put new tires on and do other pre-ride checks and services. Seems like a pretty cool place so far as the owner said I could wrench on my bike at his place. Change oil, check valves, make sure major bolts and nuts are still in place before I head north.

Wanting to do Inuviuk(?) as well, but hear the road is washed out over Chicken Pass. After seeing how high the waters are around here, I'm not surprised. Anyone else have plans to do more riding around here after Prudhoe?