1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Prudhoe Bay, Alaska 2010

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by dreamtour, Oct 3, 2009.

1. white hart rider

white hart rider n00b

Oddometer:
    I will be heading over August 2010, bringing the Ktm to Anchorage, with the view to finishing 4 weeks later somewhere on the East coast to ship home, I really look forward to meeting everybody. It looks like the world and his dog will be there. It's great being able to keep up with what's happening, just keep up the good work everybody. Regards for now:clap
  2. AKmud

AKmud Muddy Gruver

Oddometer:
    Some buddies and I are leaving May 21st and making the trip from Salt Lake City (shipping the bikes there) back to AK via the Grand Canyon, Torrey, Moab, Flaming Gorge, Yellowstone, Glacier, Banff, Jasper, then on to the Cassiar. We are planning on being back to Anchorage area around June 6. If this melds with anyone's schedule, we would be glad to add some more to the mix.

As of now there are 3 of us going. If "ThatGuy" gets off his hiney and commits we may have 4. :freaky
  3. ncroadtoad

ncroadtoad No Use to Society Supporter

Oddometer:
    How about that? I too am thinking (have been planning) about heading to Alaska the last half of May. My schedule is flexible, I just have to be back by the end of June. I live just outside Raleigh, NC and also ride a WeeStrom.

Do you have a plan yet? Are you motel or tent guy? A big miles man or flower sniffer? Prudhoe? --- And Me??? :1drink (when the wheels stop turning for the day)... Got several plans, not wedded to any in particular. Got the gear, can camp - got credit cards, can motel. It is a long way to Alaska - and back - I can ride as needed to get it done. Don't know about Prudhoe, definitely want the Arctic Circle though.

If you think it might work out, maybe we can talk off line (phone) and see how close our thoughts are on this and if it would be worth our while to meet and greet. A day ride or two might be helpful to see if we could put up with each other for 14,000 miles. :fight

Cheers,
    Jack
  4. big jer

big jer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    just a bit of a heads up for anybody entering canada, or i guess exiting canada you must have a current pass port or it's damn near impossible to get back in. and also no pepper spray allowed in canada. heard of more than one person denied entry to canada for that.
  5. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    True that about the passport but pepper spray is only disallowed if it's the smaller purse or pocket size.

If it's the larger canister and it says that it's for dog or bear protection then you're okay.

Good luck and have fun, Mark H.
  6. Graftyman

Graftyman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What is the size limitation. What is ok to cross the border with 8 oz 10 oz? Or does that not matter as long as it is is USEPA approved and say Bear Spray on it?

Also, do you just declare it at the border or should you be prepared with specific paperwork?

I only ask as I've been held up many times at border crossings.
  7. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    This'd be a bad one to skip, Poofter. They're going to ask some kind of question about what you're carrying and if it's a questionable item and you happen to get the random search it could turn out poorly for the home team.

There's a gal along the Chicken-to-Dawson route that seems to have a surprisingly stunted sense of humor. I'd hate to get bagged by her w/ something that didn't meet muster.
  8. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    The female Canadian Border Guard that I saw at the Top of the World crossing was absolutely stunning in appearance. A true beauty in every sense. If she's working when you cross you won't be able to lie. You may temporarily forget your name, you may stammer and stutter, and you may drool but there is no secret you won't divulge to her. If she asks you to you'll confess to the Lindbergh kidnapping and the Hofa disappearance.

In all my crossings into Canada I've always declared that I have bear spray but have never had to produce it for their inspection.
  9. Graftyman

Graftyman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Who said anything about skipping or lying, Lesions? Not me. I asked if it is something you just declare or if there is paperwork involved. If paperwork is involved I'd like to have it filled out and ready.

When I said I've been held up at borders before. I meant for people I'm with not having the right paperwork or mistakenly carrying pocket mace. In the case where the girl had mace she was honest about having, which turned out to be a 3 1/2 hour border crossing while she filled out all the paperwork allowing them to destroy it.

My motto when crossing borders is to be informed, honest and if you need paperwork to have it filled out before hand. Sounds like it's just something you need to declare verbally when entering. i.e. "I have USEPA Bear Spray in my Posession".

Trust me, I'd rather have a 44 Magnum strapped on a chest holder, however, that although possible to pass through Canada with, would take ALOT of paperwork and most likely a ton of hassles. On my trip I will be doing something like 6 crossings back and forth between the US and Canada. Thus was my question about paperwork and if it was necessary then I would want to have multiple copies pre filled out to shorten the border cross time.
  10. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Sorry, Goof. I thought it was a 'should I declare or not declare?' question you were pondering. I've brought long arms through the crossings before w/ out any paperwork but seldom attempted many other things that might get me in trouble.

As long as it's the big can and has a clearly intended usage on the jug I'd be surprised if you had any problem and have never heard of anyone else having one.

Be sure and spray yourself down good with that stuff. Only way for it to be a truly effective repellent.
  11. Graftyman

Graftyman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good looking out, Dusty. I'll make sure to add that to the ziploc bag of smoked salmon that I should be carrying in my stich pocket. They say to keep that on you at all times.

I think it's about time the hijack ends. Mecka lecka hi, mecka hiney ho. :beer
  12. EM-50

EM-50 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello. One more guy here heading to Prudhoe. I'm leaving from Chicago some time in June. The more I get into planning I'm looking at the Dust to Dawson. I'm taking the ride solo but company( at least on the Dalton) would be great. It would be cool to meet up somewhere up north. I'll keep in touch or pm me if anyone is interested. Btw I'm taking an 07 12gs.
  13. TexasMule

TexasMule Float away ya fairy... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Brother, Son, Wife and I are headed to Prudhoe out of Seattle first week in July.

Ship bikes to Seattle and take three weeks to get back to Bellingham. :deal

Say hi to the Texas contingent if you should cross our paths. :thumb
  14. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Xlnt call on the salmon. It's one of my favorite tricks.

Don't forget to grab a copy of the Milepost for you guys that are coming up for the first time or two. I noticed this morning that there's what looks to be an updated copy out. It's got all you could want in it for planning fuel stops, camp spots, meals, etc. and a first rate map. Highly recommended for planning if not for actually bringing along on your trip. It's about an inch thick and maybe 8.5 x 11 so might not fit in your bags but in the dream and plan stage it's indispensable.

Might not have the smoked salmon or pepper spray condiment trick in it but some of those kind of things you just learn along the way. :thumb
  15. SZGS

SZGS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Glad I found this thread! I'm another one researching a trip to Alaska for June. (But could do May or even July.) Haven't decided yet and haven't exactly gone "all in" on the trip yet.

But I personally like the idea of landing in Dawson June 24/25 for the Dust to Dawson "happening." Would be cool to meet folks from ADV, but it will also mean that there will be a few more bikes en route - which might be a good thing.

I ride an 06 GS. I'm planning on both camping and hotels. Maybe 50/50. I won't be in a hurry but 400 miles a day is no problem if that's how it turns out. I'm happy to be solo but would prefer a good group.

I'm in Los Angeles and wouldn't mind meeting up with some other bikers in Seattle and going from there. The more the merrier. We probably won't all stick together, but it gives us a better chance of finding someone at the right speed and riding level. And also means that if someone cancels at the last minute, it won't really matter. Or maybe we'll just pass along the way, but we'll at least have met should anyone need a hand at some point.

If anybody else is considering the trip and wants to coordinate a meeting place in Seattle or even in Canada, just keep the thread going.

It's about 2k miles to Dawson from Seattle. @ 300 miles a day that would mean we'd be 7 days out and would need to meet in Seattle and be ready to ride Thursday June 17th to make it to Dawson by the 24th.

I'm throwing this out there as a rally date...
    NOOB ALASKA RUN. JUNE 17TH, 2010 SEATTLE.
    :beer
    Anyone? Bueller?
  16. SZGS

SZGS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    BTW, i'm using google maps to estimate the trip to Dawson, so if anybody who has done the trip knows better, correct my math sooner rather than later...
  17. GRIZ

GRIZ COMMANDANT

Oddometer:

THE MILEPOST IS THE KEY DEAL, REALLY HELPFUL...WHEN A FRIEND AND I WENT UP IN '02 I COPIED THE MAPS WE NEEDED IN THE ORDER WE WERE RIDING, AND HIGHLIGHTED THE ROUTES, THESE WERE NUMBERED IN ORDER AND WE PUT THEM IN OUR MAP POUCH ON TANKBAG. WORKED REAL WELL! BTW MOST OF THE MAPS WERE JUST THE RIGHT SIZE TO DO THIS.:bubba
  18. CANADIAN BACON

CANADIAN BACON CONFEDERATE CANADIAN

Oddometer:
    Planning is good.
    Lets start from the Top:D
    If you/all plan to see the Arctic plan to stay at least two days.
    The trip to the water and the sights require security clearance.
    This will take 24 Hrs.
    FWIW I switched out my rear tire in Fairbanks.
    The Fairbanks "Fun" center charges me $278.and that was for a cheap dunlop.
    Whitehorse is probably a better choice for tires and the price is right.
    The Yamaha dealer in Whitehorse welded my shifter lever and didn't charge anything.
    Also the Dalton road is no big deal other than it is long.
    It's hardpack and also paved a good portion of the way.
    Lots to see and the best Arctic Circle marker anywhere.
    You/all might want to plan on a quick turn around as the weather can get real nasty in
    a hurry. A turn around is easy as it's light 24 Hrs.
    However once past Cold Foot your committed to Deadhorse.
    Plan to ride till 3-4 am and camp to 10 am.
    It's to cold to ride early in the morning but fine at 2 am.
  19. Redbull Addict

Redbull Addict I need another one...

Oddometer:
    I'm also in the midst of researching a trip to Alaska. I'd leave from San Jose California around June 1st.
  20. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    That gonna be a nOOb run??:evil :rofl Be sure and stop by for a beer when you get to Wasilla........got a place you can stay. Hopefully, I can repay you for the fun time in Death Valley.:freaky