1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Prudhoe Bay, Alaska 2010

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by dreamtour, Oct 3, 2009.

1. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    could be graded, traffic compacted and smooth or it could be hundreds of miles of muddy road. roll the dice.
  2. Redbull Addict

Redbull Addict I need another one...

Oddometer:
    Hi Roger!

Good to hear from you!

If I do decide to make the trip I will definitely try to stop by and say hello.

Take care!
    Tom
  3. bergsteigen

bergsteigen One continent at a time.

Oddometer:
    Well, well, well. Looks like I've stumbled onto the site of like minded people. I too will be heading to Prudhoe Bay this summer. Currently living in North CA near Tahoe and plan to leave sometime mid July.

Seeing how I'm planning a 30 day vacation (dependent on the "Man"), going to haul ass to the bay and take my time riding back down. Looking at the most direct and fastest line up there. Already done a lot of the west coast back roads (CA, OR, WA).

Then depending on how much time there is for the return trip, going to ride back through Anchorage, Jasper National Park, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Nevada, and home. Talk about temperature differences between Arctic and desert. Looking forward to it.

If there are some like minded people with similar desires, wanting to do the same, send me a PM. Currently riding an '09, 1200 GS Adv, so fuel stops will be limited. Wanting to mix camp and hotel around three days in tent followed by one night in a hotel room. Did someone say something about a possible rally during that time period?
  4. ADVBMR

ADVBMR Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer:
    New Year's Day seems like a fitting time to plan another trip for 2010. I'll be in Dawson for D2D, then back to work in Anchorage for a few days before heading to Prudhoe over the 4th of July. Five days should be about right - day 1 to Fairbanks, day 2 to Coldfoot or Wiseman, day 3 to Prudhoe and back to Coldfoot or Wiseman, day 4 to Fairbanks, day 5 to Anchorage. I'm tentatively planning to leave Anchorage on Saturday, July 3, returning on July 7. I'm on an '07 12GS. If others wish to join up, we can meet in Anchorage or Fairbanks. I have room to put up about a half dozen folks at my place in Anchorage (and for that matter, even if someone doesn't want to go to Prudhoe but needs a place to stay in Anchorage around D2D, just PM me. I'm near the airport.) Anyone interested in these dates, just let me know and we can discuss some ideas from there. If there are enough folks, we can start a July 4 thread.
  5. squirley

squirley punk in drublic

Oddometer:
    Leaving Vegas on 27th of may. I am sure I will see many of you coming or going, looks like its a popular year!
  6. push_bars

push_bars Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am not sure I will make it all the way to Deadhorse, AK... but I have 30 days starting the 26th of June 2010 to wander around points northwest of Montana.

My plans at this point are read enough to know what my options are and go where ever I feel like with a stop at some point at or above the arctic circle along the way.

Looks like there will be a crowd regardless of how far off north I go.
  7. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    My son and I are planning our trip beginning for when school gets out here at the end of June. Seattle to ?? and back. His first long MC trip. I have travelled across north america several times, and there is nothing that compares to being on the bike for multiple days. However when I travel, like most of you, the time on the bike is the trip. My son however, thinks a bit differently. He wants to make sure we stop (camping) for 2 and possibly 3 days at some places to take them in and not just set up camp, eat, take down camp and ride. Your post of "going slower" strikes a cord with this.

When we travelled to Europe many years ago with my 2 year old daughter she "forced" us to stay 2 nights everywhere and not just a stop and go. OMG this made the trip. So as we plan, our trip could be a bit different than most. EG, a couple nights in the interior of BC, at Liard, Hyder, Denali, Valdez, etc. Yes it will be different, yes it will be great.

We will have about 1 month. Hope to 'take in' the entire journey, and hit Hyder, Liard,, TOW, Denali, Circle, Prudhoe, and hopefully a day fishing out of maybe Valdez, and then off to Haines and ferrying back to Port Hardy on Vancouver Island. From there we will head to the NW tip of the island and camp there for a couple days before making our way back down island to seattle.

Need to further look at the time allotment as we may have bitten off too much. Streets and Trips does a good job with this. Especially when you slow the speeds down to give you expected realistic mileage. Putting in a couple longer days may make hanging out that much more attractive.

Any other places you would recommend we see?

Thanks, and it looks like we may be seeing some folks along the way.
  8. Graftyman

Graftyman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Someone along the way told me that for planning there is nothing better then the Milepost. I got the 09 edition for christmas and boy that took alot of the angst out of planing. Instead of doing everything on my own and having a full iternary I'm now happy with just making basic plans.

I'm figuring certain distances each day to get myself to places of known lodging and gas. The Milepost gives me many many options along the way.

I never knew there were campsites on the Dalton. I never knew you could camp being the arctic circle sign.

So far I'm still solo on the trip. I've made my air reservations. Now all I need to do is narrow down a place within distance to the Seattle airport to ship my bike.

For those new to the thread: I'm landing in Seattle on 6/09/10. I hope to be on the road heading north on the 10th. The 9th is my day to repack the bike make sure it still runs and then relax. If that all happens I may be heading north the evening of the 9th. Not sure where I'm staying but I'm not that much worried about it.

I'd love to take a full month up there, but there is no way to pull that off. I'm thinking 2 weeks for the trip and then 3 or 4 days heading back east to Ma.

One other logistic issue I have is tires. I'm hoping to ship a set of tires to the Fairbanks area. I'll carry them if my tires are still good and change them along the way. Anyone have any suggestions on where you can ship something and have them hold onto it for you in Fairbanks?
  9. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    Hey I have a bed for you, a nice meal or two, and half of a garage to repack right here in Seattle if you want. Let me know.
  10. ADVBMR

Oddometer:
    Save the cost of shipping and just pick up your tires in Fairbanks. Check this thread for "New service center in Fairbanks" (something like that) or hit up AKtracks. If you need tires in Anchorage, you can get them at Alaska Leather. Folks up here provide great support, so it's important to support their businesses, too! Have a great trip.
  11. Graftyman

Graftyman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm a few months away from settling down on what I need to have with me. I'll talk to AkTracks before I do anything. I'm unsure when or even if I'll need tires. I'd like to not just hope the tires make the trip. That is why I was picking Fairbanks as the place the tires will be. I'm assuming my tires will still be good as I leave Fairbanks so changing there may not happen. However, if buying them there is easier then I will do that strap them on and work my way South East until I need to change them. I'm going to be prepared to change them on the side of the road (ohh what fun)
  12. ADVBMR

Oddometer:
    Sounds like good planning. FWIW - Last year I brought a GS up from the Lower Forty-eight. I planned to get a rear tire put on in Calgary at Blackfoot Motors. It's a huge dealership - probably had 20 plus people working in the shop alone - but they didn't have a tire for a 1200GS! I blew through Whitehorse after hours on a Saturday night and made it home to Anchorage okay on Sunday, but I would have been more comfortable had I been able to change the tire out when I wanted.
  13. Graftyman

Graftyman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Already talked with AKTracks. I will no longer be ordering tires and shipping them to a random place in Fairbanks. Will place my order with them and have tires waiting for me. :)

One less thing checked off the list. :D
  14. ADVBMR

Oddometer:
    You're doing Seattle to Alaska, plus the Dalton Highway, in two weeks, then to Massachusetts in 3 or 4 days? You can do Seattle to Fairbanks and then to Prudhoe and back to Fairbanks in two weeks - lots of riding, and weather permitting - but to MA in 3-4 days? Or are you shipping the bike? If you're doing Seattle to Prudhoe and back in two weeks you aren't leaving much cushion for anything, arse included.
  15. ADVBMR

Oddometer:
    Graftyman-

Okay, went back to page 1 to see your itinerary. Thunder Bay - I have always appreciated the area through Kenora east of Winnipeg. Here's a tip. If you drop down through International Falls you can not only get the Kenora stretch but you can catch a wonderful 53 mile dirt road just south of Voyageurs National Park called the Echo Trail to Ely, MN. It cuts through the Boundary Waters Canoe Area and is a regular two lane dirt road, not a trail. Then you can get on a great paved stretch with super twisties on Highway 1 south out of Ely to the northshore of Lake Superior and then head north to Thunder Bay. I always try to add a special portion to a trip and this is one I recommend.
  16. Graftyman

Graftyman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    First, I have to explain myself. On a trip once I turn towards home I usually get home in a time frame that I didn't even think was possible. I once woke up in Deadwood S.D. Hung over from drinking and gambling all night and then pulled an 1100 mile day just because I had that home thing.:D I once was going to spend a few days on the outerbanks, but then decided I wanted to be home. If I hadn't fallen asleep eating french fries at Denny's I would have made it home that night :rofl(yes, falling asleep with a french fry in my mouth made me realize I was too tired to go on).

I'm on a schedule but it's not a drop dead schedule. I've resigned myself to try and keep it but I'm prepared for it to run into 3 + weeks if necessary. The one thing I don't want to do is push myself too far. The deciding factor is going to be how I feel that day. that is one of the reasons I dropped my original ferry idea.

My current itinerary is on Day 12 to be in the Tok area heading South Eastward on my way home. If that works, that works. I doubt it though. I'll probably decide to take a day off somewhere but who knows.

I'm shipping to Seattle and then riding the rest of the way. I've read enough reports on other peoples trips and I'm gauging my time/distance to be an average of those. I have no problem pulling 500+ days My normal day stopper is when the sunlight goes away. I don't like making tracks when the sun in down if I don't have to.

That's one of the reasons I've chosen this time frame. I will be starting to head home and be able to get the longest days of the year. I'm figuring in 500 mile days with some more and some less.

Thunderbay is a want, I'm pretty sure by the time I'm through that way I will just blast through. It's easy enough to go there again from the east coast and my main goal on this trip is Deadhorse and the Dalton. If I push really hard and wind up ahead a few days (unlikely) I'd love to go up the Dempster but that is just being unrealistic.

Planning is planning. Once I hit the ground it's all out the window. I'll play it by ear. My biggest question on the whole trip has been logistics. Plane fair, place to ship the bike, bike shippers having tires available if/when I need them. Also setting the bike up the way I want it. I've done enough miles to know if it's not the way I want it, then I'm not going to enjoy myself as much.

Off to the garage to fix a snowblower so I can make more room to start working on the bike.
  17. lineareagle

lineareagle philomath

Oddometer:
    Thanks for pointing this routing out, will add to my itinerary.
    I'm leaving the GTA, Toronto area on my B-day May 26 and on my way to Prudhoe by way of Glacier etc north, like the idea of the D2D as well.
    This is a long trip 2 - 3 months that originally started out to be Prudhoe to Tierra but has morphed into a see the west completely first modus.
    may try to work in Mex and a couple central countries but not a big deal.

Plan to camp and visit as many ADV'ers as possible as the community is were it is at. And everyone has their favorite roads that I would like to experience. L8tr
  18. RickS

RickS Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Would it be too late to head north around the 16th of July and try to fit in a Prudhoe bay trip-about a 3 week trip. How does the weather at that time compare to a late June departure time? Can leave any earlier due to a wedding ( I know)
  19. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Going off your ADV name and avatar, if you're big into eagles or are looking to camp anyway, this place 1mi south of Tok is where a lot of us stay on our way to and from D2D: http://www.thompsonseaglesclaw.com/

Hey RickS, 3wk trip starting from where? Oklahoma?!? And really no tellin about the weather up north. Crap shoot throughout the whole Summer/Fall as to sun, rain, and even snow.

Good luck and have fun, Mark H.
  20. ADVBMR

Oddometer:
    You should be fine. My rule of thumb is that things turn quickly after about August 20 on the North Slope. I think that's reasonable to conservative. Having said that - here's the disclaimer - weather changes all summer. The drive to Prudhoe is weather dependent. If the weather cooperates, early to mid-August is a great time to go. I was hiking in the Arctic Refuge last summer in early August and never needed long underwear. 10 day hike - maybe two days' rain.

Over 30 years I've noticed that the weather is generally a good summer or a wet summer. Last year was great. But, folks should know that the weather on the North Slope is independent and separate from the interior. You just have to wing it. For me, the arctic plain is the least interesting. You can go to Coldfoot and a little beyond to Atigun Pass and see amazing sights. The mountains build for about 50 miles or more to the south and drop off in about 15 miles after the pass - really very impressive. If you look at Galbraith Lake on the map, you can get to there and you've gone on to the North Slope and seen the best part of the road north. Some folks want to see the Arctic Ocean, which I can understand. It's about 130 miles to the ocean.

Check in with ADVers in Anchorage on the way and we'll tell you what we know at the time.