1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Prudhoe Bay, Alaska 2010

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by dreamtour, Oct 3, 2009.

1. lineareagle

lineareagle philomath

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip on the site at Tok, writing it in my log. Sounds like my kind of place!

When I was in my prime I flew floats up and down the west coast, never made it to AK, so had many memorable encounters with eagles, between them and ravens its a toss up which is my favorite large flyer.

Really getting cranked about this trip!
  2. Teneighty23

Teneighty23 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For all you who have been to Alaska. And who like to camp along the way rather then hotel. im looking for cool campsites in the area between Fort St.John and Fort Nelson, and another campsite between Fort Nelson and Watson lake. I got a backroad mapbook with me, but i would like some suggestions for those who have been there. I have two weeks to head up to Watson and im going north of Watson a couple hours and am meeting a bunch of my family to camp for a long weekend, and i am taking the Cassiar highway back south towards Terrace. BC. to explore some lakes and rivers around that way. gimme some Suggestions Folks! i live in Grande Prairie, Alberta. I will be riding an XR650L. discuss!

I'm lookin for a place to stay on Camp#1 and Camp#2
    [​IMG]
  3. hvman

hvman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would for sure stop at Laird River Hotsprings Provincial Park again. It is about 140 miles s. of Watson Lake. Nice campground and the water is great! On the way s. on the Cassiar, it is a short trip into Stewart/Hyder, well worth the side trip, then you can say you were in Alaska!
  4. JQUEEN

JQUEEN Javagold

Oddometer:
    Looks like we may have a traffic jam of bikers north of Fairbanks this summer. Me and a buddy are leaving from Seattle on July 16th and making it to Dead Horse, down to the old Denali Hwy to TOK, then southeast thru Fort Nelson to Jasper; loop around to Kamloops and back to Seattle on Aug 1st. Hope to meet some of you on the road.
  5. JQUEEN

JQUEEN Javagold

Oddometer:
    Would some of the regular seasoned riders up in Alaska help me and others out??

I've got a 6200 mile trip planned from Seattle to Dead Horse then to Jasper back to Seattle. I'd really like to skip changing tires if it doesn't pose too much risk. I'll be riding a R1200GSA.

What do you think about the Metzler Enduro 3 for making the complete trip, especially north of Fairbanks. Here's the link for more detail:
    http://www.metzelermoto.com/web/catalog/moto/moto_catalogo_schedaDescription.page?uri=/metzeler/en_IT/browser/xml/catalog/moto/OffRoad_Enduro3.xml&vehicleType=MOTO&menu_item=/products/catalog/off_road

If anybody has used these tires for their trip, I sure would appreicate hearing from you.

Thanks

jq
  6. bergsteigen

bergsteigen One continent at a time.

Oddometer:
  7. MCP

MCP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in the planning stages too -Alaska plus the Dempster and I have the same interest as JQueen, prefer to do it on one set of tires.

I don't want to hijack this thread to a tire thread but I'm looking more specifically for a tire type for this ride; is it the right tire, and will it do the whole trip?

So if this needs to be moved :wave
  8. push_bars

push_bars Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Quick aside -- I am looking to run K60s... but if the roads are surfaced like the ones here I would be really surprised if one set can really make it that far. Of course it is possible that I am a little hard on tires -- why ride an 800 if your not going to use it -- all. There is a thread in this sub-forum called new shop in Fairbanks... they sell k60s and are a local outfit so my plan is to pick up one at the half way point in my trip.

With that out of the way... what are the options like for tenting it in out of the way spots? I am hoping to skip out on formal campgrounds frequently since I am not a big fan of generators and loud pipes. Mostly interested in how people are handling their setups given the moose and bears. My typical setup (backpacking) is to use a bear can and leave it 100 yards or so from the tent... for dinner/lunch I will cook and put in another hour at least down the trail to setup camp for the night.

Before I get the "pack some iron" comments... that is not an option given the number of border crossing I have planned (riding up from MT for D2D, etc) so I am sticking with my bear extinguishers.
  9. ADVBMR

ADVBMR Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer:
    As a general rule, you'll find plenty of places to camp. Moose won't bother you - they eat twigs. What you describe for bear safety is on the conservative (safe) end of the spectrum so you should be fine. Although I often pack a firearm when hiking and am relatively proficient with one, it is a last resort measure and nobody should be fooled that it will work out successfully. Bear spray is a pretty good alternative. The bottom line though, is that you will be lucky to see some bears and will probably do so at a safe distance. We worry about a bear crashing through the tent in the middle of the night because that's where we're most vulnerable but the odds of that happening are pretty close to zero. Don't cook in your tent, don't leave a trail of bacon drippings to your sleeping bag and you shouldn't have any problems.
  10. push_bars

push_bars Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your descriptions sound pretty much like camping here. I backpacked for a week crossing glacier national park from one side to the other and did not see anything other than some warm scat and fresh prints. I suppose the moose are less of an issue when your not hiking down a narrow trail on foot with dense brush on both sides.

I am relying on camping to make the 4 week trip more affordable. Not quite cheap Aussie style though (anyone who does not know what ride report I am thinking of should do some searching -- it is an epic).
  11. RoyB

RoyB Dartmouth, Massacusetts

Oddometer:
  12. ak2009

ak2009 n00b

Oddometer:
    Awesome blog RoyB !!!
    I made the trip last summer from MA. Our blog is here:
    http://motoak2009.blogspot.com/

It was a spectacular trip. We met a lot of great people along the way.

We rode DR650's, with Continental TKC80 tires. They worked great on pavement and dirt, although they only lasted about 4K miles.

Bob
  13. RoyB

RoyB Dartmouth, Massacusetts

Oddometer:
    Excellent! :clap

(Thanks)
  14. JeffinTD

JeffinTD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Geez, sounds like there's going to be a steady stream of motorcycles up there...

I'm planning on leaving from The Dalles Oregon on or about July 8th...

Doing the no-plan up to Fairbanks, Prudhoe bay, Anchorage, and maybe Valdez or Soldotna or something on the way back.
  15. us-kiwi

us-kiwi n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey.
    As usual, I am late to the party, but am planning the same thing.
    I'm in Concord NH.
    Wanna get a cold one and kick this around?
  16. Too Tall

Too Tall Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to riding to Alaska again this summer. Went in '06 and wanted to return the next summer. Now its 4 years later and I'm still as enthused about the ride.

See everyone up there. Its vast space in northern Canada and Alaska so I don't expect it to be that crowded.

Too Tall
  17. Computer

Computer Let's Go Get Lost!

Oddometer:
    I'm planning a trip to Prudhoe Bay on my DL650 this summer. I'd like to go to Colorado and then up the Continental Divide Trail up through Montana into Canada. My V-Strom is going to be pretty well loaded down on that trail, hope it works out :lol3 I think I'll be swapping out an anakee and a TKC-80 front throughout the journey, eventually ditching the TKC when I get out of Alaska and make it home on the street tire.
  18. AKBMW

AKBMW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am planning to run up to the slope May 19th with a June 3rd rebound. After my work hitch. Mine be a bit chilly heading up. But it's my only window.
  19. grumpyoldbstrd

grumpyoldbstrd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    G'day Guys,
    If you see a couple of Ozzie blokes (650 Dakar & 1150 GS) heading up to Prudhoe, please try not to run us off the road. Be gentle with us, it's our first visit to Canada and Alaska.
    Will be dribbling north after the WestFest thingie in Montana and hope to hit Prudhoe before the weather turns ugly.
    No set plans or itinerary, just gunna play it by ear and take local advice as we go. Will be tenting and looking for off-road tracks as much as possible.
    Any hints, advice; local knowledge greatly appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Lloyd
    PS. If appropriate care is taken, is the bear threat all that serious?
  20. ajmac

ajmac gorilla balancin on a pin

Oddometer:
    hey grumpyolbarsteward -am leavin perth on mon for the bmw safari in taz then in march up to sydney to fly bike out to L.A. am looking at qantas.if you got any tips or advice would be appreciated for bike transport:beer.are you heading for the dawson to dusk also.sounds like a few antipodeans heading over the big pond this year. its beginning to sound like earls court??:1drink