1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Prudhoe Bay, Alaska 2010

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by dreamtour, Oct 3, 2009.

1. grumpyoldbstrd

grumpyoldbstrd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    G'day Amjac,
    Won't be up north early enough for that D2D thing. I think it's on during the northern summer solstice (not really sure). We won't hit Dawson until the end of July.
    Shipping the bike with Get Routed. About AUD3K return, in & out of Portland, OR and we get 2 months over there. If Get Routed gets enough interest, he (Dave Milligan) will run a late return which will give you 3 months. As far as I know at this time, there is only 2 of us wanting the late return. He needs at least 8 to fill up a container.
    Google Get Routed and check out his site. I've used him a couple of times for trips to NZ and have been very happy with the service.
    Cheers,
    Lloyd
  2. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    As a lifelong Alaskan outdoor adventurer I'm gonna say use good sense and you needn't concern yourself about bears.

And a friendly reminder/invite, D2D, Dust2Dawson is Thurs/Fri June 24/25 this year. :choppa

Good luck to all and have fun, Mark H.
  3. JeffinTD

JeffinTD Long timer

Oddometer:
    G old B, when are you going to be departing Portland?
  4. grumpyoldbstrd

Oddometer:
    JeffinTD,
    Pick up bikes from freight depot on 13th July and then wander over to Redmond (gotta detour and see the Spruce Goose). Darby, MT the next weekend. Unless we get some more starters for the "late return", the bikes have to be back in Portland by 20th Sept.
  5. JeffinTD

JeffinTD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like I'll be heading north before you guys show up in my neck of the woods, then.

The air museum in Milwaukie is worth the trip. If you happen to be by Tillamook they also have a neat collection of aircraft in a WWII era blimp hanger.
  6. push_bars

push_bars Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will be finishing up my D2D/Inuvik(?)/Prudhoe Bad(?) run and headed through Redmond about the same time your starting out. If your doing the Montana West Fest in Darby right after the BMW rally then make sure you take the Magruder across Idaho to Darby. Nice little off road jaunt (not too tough, a 4x4 car can pull it off) through the middle of two very large wilderness areas in north central Idaho.

If your interested and things work out schedule-wise for me I plan to be headed on the Magruder from Redmond to Montana on the 17th, perhaps we could meet up.

Edited to fix the date for the return trip... thinking I am going to head back on Saturday of the rally.
  7. grumpyoldbstrd

Oddometer:
    Push_bars,
    Have heard about the Macruder Rd and had planned to use it getting to Darby. Would be happy to have a guide. The 23rd or the 24th of July sounds about right.
    In Oz, a "big" rally will number 200 bikes, and am a bit nervous about the Redmond thing as I understand you get 5000 plus. We're just going to turn up a go where we're told. Don't know how you get a chance to look around that many bikes.
    Hopefully you'll be able to identify my bike.. a beat up silver '05 650 Dakar with TT tanks, lots of personal mods and Ozzie plates.
  8. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm heading up to the D2D this year from the Toronto area. I ride a KLR and will be staying inside the Canadian border for my trip. Not sure yet on a leaving date yet but plan on a 3 week adventure. I hope to do a few more miles than 300 a day....possibly double that on the way out and take my time on the way back.
    If anyone want to join me for the trip out or back...please PM me...I want to camp the entire time if I can just for the adventure and also to keep the costs down a bit.
  9. Rauol Duke

Rauol Duke PR Deacon

Oddometer:
    Do you know if there is a bed and breakfast somewhere near the hotsprings?
  10. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    There is a lodge very near the park but it fills up early. The park camping grounds can also fill up, but they seem always find a way to squeeze in one more tent. Check your Milepost to see what else is near. You do have a Milepost, don't you?
  11. Patrick58

Patrick58 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here I am one more time. Still looking for a riding partner for the great Alaska ride. I'm leaving on or about May 25th from East Tennessee. Got my milepost in hand, and a possible route. It is a long way, of course, but one of those trips that, I believe, an ADV rider should do, if possible. Who wants to go with me??:evil
  12. ADVBMR

ADVBMR Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer:
    I'll be leaving Boston on a DL650 on May 23, riding NH and VT for a couple of days before I head north over the Great Lakes to northern MN where I will drop off the bike. PM to Patrick 58 and NCROADTOAD if you guys want a riding partner for a few days.

I'll be at D2D on the beemer and plan to leave Anchorage on July 3 for Prudhoe. Got room for a few ADVers if you need a place to throw a sleeping bag around those dates.
  13. matz6

matz6 n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm planning to ride up to Prudhoe Bay this year too. D2D is also on the schedule. Plan to camp most of the time with a couple motel stays to clean up. I'll be coming from Chicago and definitely plan to take the Ice Field route through Jasper either to or from AK. I'm also looking for fellow riders to join for all or some of the way. My ride will be a 05 GS. Hope to hear from some of you. Cheers!
  14. ncroadtoad

ncroadtoad No Use to Society Supporter

Oddometer:
    PM back to ya ADVBMR... Heading to MN via corn country, that northern route over the Great Lakes is just to boring :D. Road_Dust and I are launching out of MN on May 23.
  15. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am so far planning on leaving the Toronto area the morning of Wed. June 16th and pushing to get out of Ontario in a little over 2 days.....depending upon conditions.
    If anyone wants to join me....please feel free to PM me.
  16. AKmud

AKmud Muddy Gruver

Oddometer:
    Patrick,

My group will be leaving SLC, Utah on May 22nd. We will be heading south to the Grand Canyon first then will turn back N/E and head up through Moab and Yellowstone, Banff/Jasper, then up the Cassiar. If you want to hook up with us along the way, it might work out. You may have to bail from TN a couple days earlier. I think we are scheduled to hit Yellowstone around the 25th. There are four in our group (3 riding 1200GS and the 4th is still figuring it out...).

Shoot me a PM for contact info if you are interested. :thumb

Mud
  17. maxscycle

maxscycle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I leave Delaware on 5Jun, headed for fairbanks, leave fairbanks on 18jun for
    prudhoe bay, leave prudhoe bay on 20 jun for fairbanks, leave fairbanks on 21jun, headed to key west, then home to delaware.
    Doing an IBA Ultimate Coast to Coast run.
    max
  18. Bobby30223

Bobby30223 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was planning on heading up somewhere in that time frame. Would like to know more about your trip. How many days, camp or motel, etc...
  19. skidlid

skidlid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll be leaving Seattle on the 16th, heading up to D2D via Banff. Wanna ride up together? I should be leaving from South Sound BMW around noon. :clap

Dave
  20. ADVBMR

ADVBMR Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer:
    I'm firming up my plans for the 4th of July trip to Prudhoe after D2D and thought I'd pass along what I've learned so far.

Deadhorse/Prudhoe Bay: The Prudhoe Bay Hotel (907-659-2449) has rooms available for $150 with phone, TV, and bath. $125 without the amenities. Arctic Caribou Inn (907 or 866-659-2368) has limited availability because the tours are booking up. Rooms are $190. 7/3 is open, they are full 7/2,4,6,8. I didn't check with Deadhorse Camp (877-474-3565).

Wiseman/Coldfoot: The place in Coldfoot is advertising rooms for $219, I don't know their availablility because I didn't call them. Arctic Getaway (907-678-4456) in Wiseman is getting filled up. They have one cabin available on 7/3&4. It has two separate rooms upstairs, two twin beds downstairs and sleeps six for $195, I think. Boreal Lodge has four rooms and has rooms available all week for $90 dbl/$70 single. Wiseman is about a dozen miles up the road from Coldfoot.

I booked a cabin in Wiseman at Arctic Getaway for 7/4 which has two separate bedrooms. If someone wants to split it, let me know.