Prudhoe Bay, Alaska 2010

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by dreamtour, Oct 3, 2009.

1. BMW Kurt

BMW Kurt Philosopher

Oddometer:
    +1

I did it on Tourances. No problem.
  2. rpilottx

rpilottx Long timer

Oddometer:
    Leaving El Paso on May 22 or 23 with the idea of being in Anchorage about 6 or 7 days later. Will be going up I25 toward Calgary then up the Alcan.

I have done the Alcan several times and this will be my second motorcycle trip so if anyone is looking for a riding partner for all or part of the route, let me know. Rich 915 588 5054
  3. Graftyman

Graftyman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm just hoping all of you going up there (myself included) will have an ADV sticker on your bikes. That way we can all laugh about all the questions we've pestered the locals for. :)

Although I haven't left yet and haven't completed the trip. I want to thank all of the local Alaska members for all their help in insight. My trip is pretty well planned (as planned as I want it to be). I would be freaking out now if it wasn't for the advice and tips the Alaska inmates have given and the Milepost.

All I need now is tires, (on AKTracks list for K60's 2 sets. Just waiting for the word to pay the man an have one set shipped to me here and keep one there).

I'll be the short bald guy on the Yellow DL650.
  4. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    GREAT!! Just what we need; a short bald guy on a Suzuki. You may make us over quota and a local will have to leave the state for awhile.:rayof:rayof:rayof:rayof
  5. MaggieR

MaggieR Morbidly Obese

Oddometer:
    Take me! Take me!

Maggie :babe
  6. AK Charlie

AK Charlie Born Again

Oddometer:
    Maggie: You need to stay here and keep Jack and Kevin company. They would be heartbroken if you left. Hayduchess would proably be upset to. She wants your femanine companionship.

So suck it up and resign to staying here. :tough
  7. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    If Maggie left that would make room for at least 3 tourists. :rofl
  8. ADVBMR

ADVBMR Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Looks like they've all been scared off! That must be one mean mama.
  9. strsout

strsout Banned Camp

Oddometer:
    I had plans to do that this year, but since I will be ridding solo, I decided to haul the tires on the bike.
    But the guys in Fairbanks (Honda/Harley) seams pretty good and they were very sure I would have my tires there if I will.

I been there only once. half of the time only my and my SO. I never felt the need for protection. People there are a little different. Most of then just ignore you (could be my lack of good English), but they are not dangerous or else... We slept in many remote sites and never been bothered.
  10. TxLoneRider

TxLoneRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will probably change my oil either there or with the gentlemen in Fairbanks.

But I am also thinking I am going to take my tires. Price is somewhat of a factor, but I figure I am going to shoe on Distanzas before I leave Texas, they should work well until I get north of Fairbanks, then have a new set of TKCs ready to spoon on. Ride on those until they're done OR when I am sure I don't need them anymore, then put the Distanzas back on.

I've got an idea for a rack that should work well on the back of my KLR, when I built it I will through up some pictures.

safe riding!
  11. idea man

idea man Plate Spinner

Oddometer:
    I hear the rates at the Honda Harley place are a bit steep. Don't know about the rates at Adventure Outfitters (AKTracks), though I imagine they are lower, but I can tell you the service is first rate. Plus you have people to talk to instead of a business who may or may not take the time to get to know you and look out for you should the need arise. I can't imagine they let you stand in the shop and watch and tell stories. :D Just my .02 :deal
    Tires in Whitehorse if that's where you want to get them are doable from Jon at the Honda dealership. Good guy. Whitehorse style prices. Had I not already been overloaded I should have toted them up and back myself. Jon does a very good job with a quick install. (and a great bedside manner:rofl )
    Go to the Yukon brewing company while there. They don't sell beer on tap but they have free samples. Beer worth freezing for.:freaky
    Camp at Robert Service.
  12. The Hov

The Hov Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    i am leaving Smithers B.C. on the 19th of june and heading for the d2d i would like to do the dempster first but it all depends on the weather and how things go. i will be riding a black ktm adventure and can't wait to swap riding stories with all the other adv riders in that part of the world
  13. squirley

squirley punk in drublic

Oddometer:
    leaving vegas in the morning, see you all out there!
  14. ROCKCON

ROCKCON Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well I am leaving for Prudhoe Bay tomorrow morning 400am. Hope to be in Fairbanks in 5 days, stoping by Adventure Cycle Works for a K60 rear and a TKC front. Overnight in Wiseman at the Arctic Inn then up to PB and overnight at the Arctic Caribou inn. Then I will head for Dawson City.

If anyone was wondering the K60 is a 140.
  15. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    Well if the OC means LA, then that means a minimum of 12 hours of 'saddle time' a day. If we add time for fuel (how big is your tank?) and food, those should be some mighty consecutive days. :eek1 What ever fills ur tank I guess.

gl and enjoy!
  16. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    Five consecutive 720+ mile days. Yeech!!
  17. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe you didn't notice that he has IBA #401. That is a mighty good indication that he will have no trouble at all making it in 5 days. My IBA # is a lot higher (don't have that rider's credentials) and I could do the trip pretty easily in that time - and still have time for sleep, food, photos, etc.
  18. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't doubt he or you can do it, but still..... Yeech!!!
  19. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    funny. I don't see the awe. Bought an LT in Tucson a few years back and rode back to back 1000 miles days to get home in two days as I had time constraints. Could have turned around and ridden back in two if I needed to; just not that fun or interesting for me. It is not like doing the Ironman or running back to back marathons or something where you actually stress the physical limits of the body; the bike is doin' the work! On a trip like this, when you know where you are going and the roads are great, there is little to stress you mentally either. Assuming a rider knows how to fuel the bike, eat food, and rent a hotel room, one can stay pretty mentally sharp and do 15 hour days on the road for quite some time (if that floats their boat).

Yeech!! kind of sums it up for me too. ymmv
  20. ROCKCON

ROCKCON Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Actually I plan to put 2 big days and then take it easy the rest of the trip.