Prudhoe Bay, Alaska 2010

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by dreamtour, Oct 3, 2009.

1. ROCKCON

ROCKCON Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree with you 100%, anyone who is dumb enough to ride 1000 miles in a day on a motorcycle must be a Fucking idiot.:D

2. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Didn't suggest there was a need for either "awe" or "awww", just that your warnings of potential difficulties were probably already well covered.

Good for you.

Then don't do it.

And enjoy riding for 15 hours or more. Farther north, one can easily enjoy riding - while seeing beautiful scenery and wildlife and taking stunning photographs - for nearly 24 hours a day - if one cares to.

If one has no desire to do such rides, then one only has to ride as he/she prefers.
  3. idea man

idea man Plate Spinner

Oddometer:
    Can't we all just get along.

:hide

:lol3
    Ride on boys (and girls)
  4. Alcan Rider

Oddometer:
    No, dammit! For the past 4 or 5 days I've been battling a head cold that is threatening to derail my ride to Deadhorse this weekend, and I'm as grumpy as a grizzly bear with a toothache. :ddog :kboom

:wink:
  5. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank heavens the cold is in disfunctional area of your body...............:evil

80 up here today, hope you boys and girls are ready to sweat.
  6. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    I hope so, I did not intend to not get along. :1drink

Everyone rides differently and for different reasons. Hence my first post of just noting the distance/time and wishing GL.

I don't expect you to have my riding style or desires nor do I expect to have yours. That would be silly.

However I do find it funny when people talk about how hard it is to ride a motorcycle for long distances on big straight roads. I just don't get it. From a physical effort standpoint I am not sure it even makes the list. Hence the rest of my blathering.

Should we ever meet, the first round is on me. Ride safe, make it there, and for god's sake make it home. k
  7. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    Yea I like that idea too. I usually put in a couple long days to get out of Dodge where I ride all the time, and then spend more time enjoying the new stuff.

Enjoy the ride and I will keep an eye out for ya on I-5. :clap
  8. Andrewmc

Andrewmc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was thinking about going this weekend too!

Buuuuuut. I saw a 1200 at The Motorcycle Shop that was pretty much totaled this weekend up there. Apparently it started snowing and got pretty icy, don't know all the details. Good luck if you go!:D
  9. AKtracks

AKtracks Kilted Fükengrüver

Oddometer:
    We just had a group of three riders (one on a K100 w/ sidecar) return last night. Said the road was great all the way up and reports from truck drivers state that the road is in the best condition it's been in 20 years.
  10. Alcan Rider

Oddometer:
    People have totaled cars on that road when it's in good shape. Whether in a cage or on a bike, it ain't the road that gets them, it's their own foolishness - trying to go too fast for the conditions... and their own abilities.
  11. maxscycle

maxscycle Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Why do you think that?
    max
  12. Bad Back

Bad Back n00b

Oddometer:
    Good Information.

I'm leaving from Livermore, Ca and hope to be back NLT 13 August. Just prepaid for a set of K60's from the nice folks at Adventure Cycle in Fairbanks. Thought about camping however, I better spend the $$$ and get a few good winks. My biggest concern is that I have not spent more than 5 hours on the bike and I hope to squeeze in a few 600+ mile days. First leg will be Livermore to Portland. I am packing light. Bike is a 2007 1200 GSA.

Thanks,
    Bad Back
  13. redgoatrider

redgoatrider Captian Cappuccino

Oddometer:
    Anyone out there heading up to prudhoe around the week of June 7th? I'll be leaving from Anchorage. I enjoy the solo trips but thinking this might be better/smarter to travel with others. Any input is welcome.:ear
  14. Alcan Rider

Oddometer:
    From Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day weekend, there are virtually always riders on that road. It may be a little thin at either end, but in the middle there might be over 100 riders on the Haul Road on any given day. Just head north, and stop at scenic turn-outs, the Yukon bridge, Hot Spot, the Arctic Circle, etc. Sooner or later other riders will stop too, or pass by and you can tag along, getting to know them further up the road.
  15. GOMA

GOMA Get Off My A$$

Oddometer:
    Just found this thread... funny! Sounds like approx half the male population in the western hemisphere (and a few from Oz) are going to be up there at the same time- is anyone employed anymore?

Buddy and I leaving from Diego on June 20th- hope to be in ANC on July 6th. (we better be- the gf's fly in on the 7th!!!:freaky) so lotsa 200-300 mile days on any roads that avoid I-5. Did the coast from SF to Victoria (Pender Island, actually) last year so may stick inland a little more going up to change the scenery but largely playing by ear except a few "must dos" for my buddy who's from Chi-town, including Yosemite, Mammoth, Tahoe, Olympic NP....

Then 7 days touring the interior, Denali, Kodiak, etc; drop them off at the airport on the 15h :cry and the adventure begins as we head north to PB, then TOW, Yukon, maybe Dawson, down to Jasper, Banff, Glacier NP, then who knows. Sounds like we'll see a lot of you FF's out there during that time! We are on '03 and '04 GSA's, black and silver. Prob on Tourances till the ride to PB then TKC's and just burn them out on the way back. Haven't priced TKC's yet, may buy online and have them delivered to buddies house in Talkeetna or another in ANC and then amuse ourselves by doing a self-install!:1drink

Then the next day take the scratched rims and bruised tires to the shop...:bash

Be interesting if there was a way to have a Spot page that shows everyone in the region at the same time... assuming more than a few people now ride with it. Anyone know how to do that?

Got the Milepost and it's a great resource! Highly recommend. Was suggested to copy parts we want and leave the (big) book behind but with so little set in stone (and rediculous capacity on the bike) I'll prob just take the whole thing (or cut it in half and each of us has one half of the book!:norton)

Good luck all and hope to see at least some of the inmates out there!

Cheers,

G-
  16. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    :rofl
    Pender Island. Wow, a beautiful place, not many make their way there. Sounds like you have a great trip planned. How many days total??

Love the idea of the 'combined SPOT'. What a great idea, at least someone could start an " I-am-here " page for folks to update at the end of each day...:ear It does sound like it will be crowded. I have been going back and forth between taking a computer or not. Part of me wants to keep a running RR. Part of me wants to put all this stuff behind me for a few weeks. Sounds like I may not need one, as I can just borrow a computer from the ff's at the campsite beside me

GL
  17. Alcan Rider

Oddometer:
    There is another publication that receives very little notice but is probably every bit as useful as the Milepost - Bell's Travel Guides, last I saw one they were considerably smaller than the Milepost so you could easily carry it along on a trip.
  18. GOMA

GOMA Get Off My A$$

Oddometer:
    How many days? I have until I run out of money really... I work commercial high-rise construction so when I asked my boss if I could take some time off (like 2-6 months) he said "bye" way too quickly. I offered to go off salary if he keeps my health insurance and I will be back when he needs me. I love my job!

As for computer- I had a lap top last year and loved it for internet access but took up space in pannier and hard to keep charged. This year we both have Netbooks ($299 from Costco) for the purpose... WAY cheaper/smaller/less power/more convenient/less space and I ran a 12V line to inverter in my top box so it will be easy to charge while underway.

I also found the coolest little case in the world that when you open it up it has shields for the top and sides of the monitor fur when it's a little bright... $1.50 at the military surplus store!!!! I bought all four they had left and was going to offer the other two to inmates at some point.

As for the spot community page- I am not sure how to do that but if I get a chance I'll play with it and then we have to really for participation from the inmates already on the road... kinda tough.

re: Pender- I god friend owns property there and I fell in love with the region when I visited her last year. Going to swing back through there on my way back home to and scope out some property...:evil

OK- back to the garage to try to change a set of Tourances... let's hope Neduro's tire changing class is simple enuf for a moron like me!:lol3

Cheers,

G-
  19. ADVBMR

ADVBMR Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a few people have made the trek already this year. Anything to report? Changes to the road, gas stops, places to stay, etc. you noticed that would help folks with their planning?
  20. JeffinTD

JeffinTD Long timer

Oddometer:
    A couple friends are up there now on Stroms, and should be back before I leave. I'll pick their brains when they arrive back in Oregon.