Prudhoe Bay: Ride clean KTM or beater V-Strom?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Jeff Bradshaw, Jul 17, 2020.

Tags:
?

Which to Prudhoe Bay? Clean KTM 1190 ADV or beater V-Strom 1000?

1. 2014 KTM 1190 Adv in excellent condition

11 vote(s)
    44.0%
  2. 2006 V-Strom 1000 that is not in great cosmetic condition

14 vote(s)
    56.0%
  1. Jeff Bradshaw

Jeff Bradshaw n00b

Oddometer:
    I am planning to ride to Prudhoe Bay next summer with friends. Some think my KTM 1190 Adventure is the perfect bike because of it's capabilities. Others think I should ride my beater V-Strom 1000 because either bike will come back thrashed, so why take the KTM which is in great cosmetic condition.

Maybe the question should be: How much damage does this ride do to the bike? If a lot, please vote for the V-Strom.

What do you say?
  2. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    If you had 3 or 6 months to live, which bike would you take then??
    Migolito likes this.
  3. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Trashed? Are you planning on dropping it a few dozen times along the way? :muutt

There are a couple of car washes in Fairbanks. After making use of either one of them your bike should look just as good after the ride as it did before you left Fairbanks. People who have never done that ride, or maybe just did it once, are more likely to let their imaginations run rampant than apply a little common sense. It's not a ride across Siberia, but it can get a little muddy in the rain. Ride whichever one you feel the most comfortable on.
    scootac likes this.
  4. Jeff Bradshaw

Jeff Bradshaw n00b

Oddometer:
    If I was only thinking of only myself, the KTM. But my son would love to inherit the 1190. :-)
  5. Jeff Bradshaw

Jeff Bradshaw n00b

Oddometer:

It is a very experienced adventure rider that said it would be thrashed. But... he hasn't ridden the Dalton Highway. So maybe. Just maybe. He is wrong.

And I did see videos that talked about the rocks from the trucks coming the other way, plus the stuff they use to keep the roads together being very abrasive. So it's not my imagination. But this is why I posted the question... to glean wisdom from those who have gone before.

If we are to become wise, we must first understand how little we know.
    72 Yamaha RD350 and Davidprej like this.
  6. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Something few people consider: Oncoming vehicle's tires propel gravel laterally. Your own speed running into these projectiles is what causes the damage to your vehicle. And regarding the calcium chloride solution applied to the gravel portions to keep the dust down: It is corrosive, so you want to wash it off as soon as possible. Mud is, of course, made up principally of abrasive grit from the gravel surface, so that can be abrasive and accelerate wear on chains and sprockets, among other things. A chain oiler makes a big difference in helping to prevent such potential wear. My KLR has one, and my chains and sprockets can last several trips to Deadhorse and back.
    rick danger and Bigger Al like this.
  7. motokeith

motokeith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Took my then 1-1/2 year old KTM 990 Adventure to Deadhorse and back. Trip included the Dalton, the Top of the World Highway, and lots of dirt in CA and OR on the way up and back. Upon returning to Fairbanks I hit a car wash and removed as much of the calcium chloride as possible. When I got back to home in CA I removed all the body work, douched the entire bike in WD-40 and let soak, and then thoroughly hand washed it. I had a couple new rock chips in the fork guard part of the front fender and I most definitely needed a new chain, but this would be not unexpected with any 6k mile trip involving lots of dirt road riding. My advice is to take your adventure bike on an adventure and truly enjoy it.

Calcium Chloride and mosquitos, yum...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4 years after the trip, hardly thrashed...

[​IMG]
    Xchemie likes this.
  8. Jeff Bradshaw

Jeff Bradshaw n00b

Oddometer:

Excellent information! And a pretty bike! Thank you.
  9. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    There will be calcium chloride soaked mud and gravel, you will never get all of the calcium chloride off.
    It's a 2014 KTM. Why would you care, what are you saving it for?
    cmattina and wbbnm like this.
  10. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 Seems like this is the sort of ride you probably bought the bike for. I ride smaller bikes, but I bet the 1190 would be a much more fun bike to ride than the other one.

Unless you are planning a round the world type ride shortly after this one.
    cmattina likes this.
  11. pwh

pwh Just Farkin' GO

Oddometer:
    I took my 1 month old 1190R to Deadhorse in 2014. It still runs :rofl
  12. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:

@Alcan Rider 's response is all you need.
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-lure-of-the-dalton.599310/ :deal
  13. STcorndog

STcorndog No destination

Oddometer:
    The Vstrom, without a doubt.
  14. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    Does this bike look trashed???
    IMG_20200711_134727459_HDR.jpg
  15. Dan Lorenze

Dan Lorenze Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some say a bike will never be the same after a trip up to Alaska and the Dalton. But, I soaked my 1090 with ACF50 before my Deadhorse ride, and I swear the bike looks new. My center stand got beat up a little but that's about it. I wouldn't be too worried about it. Ride the 1190 and don't worry, nothing is gonna happen to it. Now, if you were thinking about taking a full dresser HD that would be another story. Take your 1190 (and make sure your fuel sender is working properly) lol
    Migolito likes this.
  16. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    Yup...ACF 50. Spray the bike everywhere you can, plastics, frame, engine etc. Spray wash back in Fairbanks and ride on. Also, please surrender your KTM membership card for asking such a question.....:)

BTW, IF your son is old enough to ride take him along. School/work will be there when he gets back.
    Cal likes this.
  17. Jeff Bradshaw

Jeff Bradshaw n00b

Oddometer:
    My son would LOVE to go, but the only thing waiting for him when he got back would be a court martial. USCG Air Station Washington, assigned to the Gulfstream G5 that the Commandant uses to get around.

As for the KTM membership card, I was denied one as soon as I bought it. I am the guy KTM 1190 riders hate. It was a big deal to take it onto a gravel/dirt road. I have NO off--pavement experience until recently. Switched from a '99 Honda Valkyrie.
    Migolito likes this.
  18. Jeff Bradshaw

Jeff Bradshaw n00b

Oddometer:
    That seems to be the overall consensus here, and I greatly appreciate all the input. As for the HD Dresser, I was just told by somebody who has made the trip multiple times that he met a guy along the way and they completed the trip together. That guy was on just such a bike and the HD survived, lol. But then, he said that rider was VERY skilled, (which I am not). Still, pretty impressive.
  19. Jeff Bradshaw

Jeff Bradshaw n00b

Oddometer:
    You all have convinced me to take the KTM. Thank you.
    Xchemie and Migolito like this.
  20. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    Not sure of your route and dates. But, look into the D2D rally(not a rally!) in Dawson city YT. It's on your way. Also, thank you for loaning US your son and thanks to him for his service.