Prudhoe Bay: Ride clean KTM or beater V-Strom?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Jeff Bradshaw, Jul 17, 2020.

Tags:
?

Which to Prudhoe Bay? Clean KTM 1190 ADV or beater V-Strom 1000?

1. 2014 KTM 1190 Adv in excellent condition

29 vote(s)
    54.7%
  2. 2006 V-Strom 1000 that is not in great cosmetic condition

24 vote(s)
    45.3%
  1. Dan Lorenze

Dan Lorenze Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's exactly what we did, took a day off in Fairbanks to clean the bikes up. I must have spent $20 at the coin op carwash. lol
  2. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    They are motorcycles, replacement parts are sold for them. Ride your favorite bike that is least likely to leave you stranded. Neither of the bikes are collectors items or ever will be.
    lithodave and Cal like this.
  3. travlr_45

travlr_45 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’ve seen pictures and reads stories from others who have made that trek, me personally id take the strom. Im hoping to do the Alaska thing next year as well. Have a near pristine 2010 tiger 1050 in the garage. Im seriously contemplating buying a used 650 strom Just for such a trip or just flying to up there and renting a bike. The latter is becoming more my first choice.
  4. Glenn247

Glenn247 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You could plastidip your fairings...heard of dudes doing this to preserve them....anyone that has done so, please commence the brief...
  5. travlr_45

travlr_45 Long timer

Oddometer:
    From the pictures I’ve seen and comments from others who have been there plastidip wont help. Theres absolutely no part of the bike that doesnt get covered in mud/dust. On one post on here a rider talked about having to stop twice and use a pressure washer to clean the radiator out to keep from overheating the engine. Have also read post regarding problems with fork seals leaking, wheel bearings failing, bent rims. I know thats not always the case but Alaska does seem to be a harsh environment for riding.
    Glenn247 and Rollin' like this.
  6. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    If you have the luxury of time. Try to plan the ride for a nice stretch of weather. I stayed in Fairbanks a couple of days to wait for a three day stretch of almost perfect weather. Took a pic at the arctic circle sign and it was 80 degrees and sunny. Dry road the whole way. No slimey greasey roads to white knuckle. One thing to look out for though. Gravel patches that pop up when your doing 70 mph. If they are fresh it could be a pucker moment. 3 inches deep loose stone like a runaway truck ramp. Gets a little squirrely
  7. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree. If its dry you can just wash the bike and you are done but if it rains the calcium chloride soaked mud will be everywhere and once it dry's it doesn't rinse off, you will need soap, water and a brush and/or rag to get it off.
    Remove and clean under the front sprocket cover because it will be packed with mud, there will be hardened mud under every cover, heatshield and surface. There will be mud on the bottom side of the fuel tank, top of the air box, the throttle bodies, inside locks, I even had mud inside the rear swingarm tubes. It can get past the seals, I added covers to the front fork seal area and the rear shock.
    If you don't take the bike apart, remove every cover you can just pretend that its clean.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The cleaning. Hours of cleaning.

[​IMG]
    pnoman and travlr_45 like this.
  8. Rollin'

Oddometer:
    And there is the dust and flying gravel!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    travlr_45 likes this.
  9. travlr_45

travlr_45 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That kind of dust over a period of time could even find its way into the instrument cluster as well as other electronic areas. Im sure it wreaks havic with chains as well. Personally i just couldnt justify taking a new or Otherwise good condition machine through that, especially if i had a choice. Thats just me.
    lithodave likes this.
  10. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    For everyone who uses ACF50, I went to the Lear Chemical website and clicked on the "where to buy" link. Not a lot of outlets although for the OP and other Alaska travelers, there were several outlets in Anchorage. Where does everybody buy their ACF50?
  11. ADV Wanderer

ADV Wanderer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Its available on Amazon.
  12. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    If you are worried about the reliability factor of taking your older V-Strom, you might consider riding your KTM to Anchorage and renting a KLR-650 (or similar) for a few days to ride to Prudhoe Bay.
    72 Yamaha RD350 likes this.
  13. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    On the Dalton Highway/Haul Road the calcium chloride is applied in the spring, usually with one of the first gradings after the ground thaws. So early travelers are the ones who will get the most concentrated levels of that chemical deposited on their bikes. A few weeks later, after a few rainfalls and the opportunity for the CaCl 2 to soak deeper into the gravel, it isn't nearly as bad. One of the ways I have avoided getting my bikes coated with the stuff is to ride all night, after road maintenance has shut down and the road is relatively vacant. For those not accustomed to riding in Alaska, that might sound strange. But that far north, it's quite light all night long. A few illustrations:

Taken around 9:30 PM as I headed south out of Deadhorse -
    [​IMG]

Taken looking north, down the Atigun River valley a few minutes after 2:00 AM -
    [​IMG]

Near Finger Mt at 5:30 AM -
    [​IMG]

In Deadhorse a few minutes after 11:00 PM -
    [​IMG]

July 5th, 1:45 AM looking south at the Brooks Range mountains -
    [​IMG]

Several times I have managed to get back down to Coldfoot just in time for a hearty breakfast, after which I find a place to take a short nap, and then I'm ready to keep traveling another few hundred miles. You just have to adjust your plans to fit the area - which is quite a bit different from what most riders are used to. But it's worth it.
  14. MattLikeyBikey

MattLikeyBikey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Whatever additional farkling that an Alaska trip could add to the bike could only be a bonus. You can't buy that anywhere. Take the best bike.
    Yinzer Moto and scootac like this.
  15. Rollin'

Oddometer:
    June 16th, 2012...10 miles south of Deadhorse. That's not snow.

[​IMG]
    72 Yamaha RD350 likes this.
  16. skywayrider

skywayrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I rode it in 97 on a very clean R1100GS, The bike was never the same, paint and aluminum damage from the chloride they use for dust control. Grit in all the controls and switches. I wish I'd taken a KLR.
    lithodave likes this.
  17. BUZZARD II

BUZZARD II Old Geezer

Oddometer:
    I would lean toward the VeeStrom. Because of, known dependability, cheaper to maintain, parts and service availability. The last factor would be which is more comfortable to ride for many long hours at a time. Only the individual butt can answer that.
    lithodave likes this.
  18. DukeMButu

DukeMButu Minister of Culture

Oddometer:
    I ride Suzuki VStroms. I took the 2005 DL650 to Deadhorse in 2019. All went well. Yes, the big got mucho filthy but we both survived. Damage was limited to a cracked pannier brace member.

Instead of ACF I spent a few bucks at Fred Myer in Fairbanks and got a can of Pam Cooking Spray. It probably attracted more mosquitoes but "how could a guy tell?"

My DL 1000, while a great Interstate eater, is not as nimble as the 650. AD gas mileage is a REAL issue on big machines. No idea what you get on the KTM but if your DL1000 is like mine, 40 mpg puts you on track to carry more gas than you may want to.
  19. wellcraft

wellcraft Long timer

Oddometer:
    As long as the V-Strom is roadworthy, you trust it not to breakdown and it can haul all you're luggage/equipment then I would take the beater V-Strom over the KTM. Another option is to try and clean the bike whenever possible during your trip instead of allowing dirt/bugs to accumulate during the entire trip and then trying to clean them off when you get home.
  20. holckster

holckster dougholck Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rode the Dalton in 2007 on my R1150GSA and when I recently sold it there was still evidence of the ride stuck in cracks and crannies and baked onto the exhaust.
    I considered it as a badge of honor and proof of the trip and a reminder of an Epic ride everyone should make once in their life.

Ride whichever moto gives you the most confidence for your skill level and mechanical ability to repair.

Same for tires, use type/brand that gives you confidence.
    I changed from Tourance to TKC knobby tires at Whitehorse Honda (they stored and then reinstalled the Tourance for the trip home)

I rode the Dempster to Inuvik and 2 days later the Dalton to Deadhorse.

Carry extra tube.
    The last 50 miles into Deadhorse was brutal sharp rock and I slit the sidewall of my rear TKC, had a replacement flown in and changed tire in my room at the Prudhoe Bay Hotel.
    Hopefully improved by now ???

Are you attending D2D in Dawson City in June ?

Safe Travels