Prudhoe Bay to the tip of Argentina

Discussion in 'Americas' started by rob-pa, Nov 5, 2007.

1. rob-pa

rob-pa Geronimo

Oddometer:
    I am planning a trip in '09 from Prudhoe Bay to the tip of Argentina. I would like any useful information that people could share with me, along with any links that you can provide.
    I tried on Google maps and Map quest to find routes, but they were not helpful. I was also looking at the milage that I will cover.

thanks for you help,

rob
  2. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
  3. bogriffinrides

bogriffinrides Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I would definitely agree with the 14,000 miles +/-.
    Also, here's a link to my south america trip. You'll have a great time.
    http://www.bogriffinrides.com/html/southamerica.htm

4. 911racer

911racer dare to explore

Oddometer:
    a little advise= don't crash! :baldy but DO have fun. that is all.
  5. kevrider

kevrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    my advice:

1. buy books. call whitehorse press, get a catalog, thumb thru it and place a large order.

2. after you educate yourself, start with specific questions here and at Horizons Unltd.

3. when you go, take your time. :thumb

http://www.whitehorsepress.com/
  6. lost...

lost... Guarior

Oddometer:
    +1.
    And, take your original amount you think it will cost, double it, and then you'll be fine. (Planning the same trip myself)
  7. kevrider

kevrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    an expansion on #3.... in another thread, a guy posted his plan to do the same ride in three months. you didn't mention a timeframe for your trip, but that's what i was thinking about when i typed #3. it took me almost four months to get from Alaska to Panama and i did rush it at the end. imho, the point of such a trip is to learn about and gain an appreciation for different cultures, which is not something you can do from the saddle. it requires interaction with the locals. i think one should have a fairly paltry average in miles/day in order to maximize these interactions. if i were doing this trip (and i envy you both), ideally, i would plan 6-9 months. ideally. skipping Alaska and heading directly to Mexico (which would save a LOT of money) then maybe 5-6 months.

you may never get the chance to do this again. don't rush it.

one last tidbit....

4. learn Spanish. if you've never studied Spanish, take a night class at the local Community College or wherever before you leave home. then register for a class in Mexico or Guatemala. or both. you will learn bucket loads in situ, and if you have taken a recent class, your knowledge will advance quicker. i took an immersion class for two weeks, which was all i could handle at once. it made for a richer experience. it was very worthwhile.