PSA: Evel Live, Sunday 07/08 on History

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by canoeguy, Jul 7, 2018.

1. canoeguy

canoeguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Didn't see a post so thought I would make one . Tomorrow night Travis Pastrana will recreate three of Evel's jumps live on an Indian.

https://www.history.com/specials/evel-live

I am pretty excited to see this. Kind of takes me back to my childhood.
  2. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    ....Damn, I knew there would be a day when I would want a teevee........
  3. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    On an Indian!
  4. canoeguy

canoeguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    On now!
  5. dogon2whls

dogon2whls Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Happened to see it while grazing channels last night.

Super slick production, and as impressive as it was, i just didn’t get the same sense of impending disaster that i experienced when i watched evel attempt his feats.

Maybe it is because our expectations of what is possible has been wildly elevated now that we have huge tricks being thrown by FMX athletes, or the fact that Travis has become a very successful packaged media darling who succeeds at everything he tries, but the suspense just wasn’t there.

I missed the first jump, but he cleared the second two with lots of real estate to spare. The announcers took every opportunity to note “ on an Indian “ . I understand, as a somewhat informed observer, the significance of that distinction, but the unsaid message was that a modern, tuned FMX bike would make light work of these stunts. And i do appreciate the “ similar equipment that evel used “ angle.

The one part of the production that i found most entertaining was a moment not necessarily meant for the cameras. After the last jump, Travis went for what looked like an unplanned spontaneous dive into the Caesars’ pond. Walking away shortly thereafter, his wife could be seen with a not approving look on her face, arms wildly gesturing, the unheard words apparently “WTF was THAT all about ?“
    kwthom likes this.
  6. * SHAG *

* SHAG * Unstable

Oddometer:
  7. MR X

MR X MOTORCYCLE MADMAN

Oddometer: